“4 Real Ales and a Steak”
Review of The Anchor Bleu

The Anchor Bleu
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Bosham
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“4 Real Ales and a Steak”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The title is just the mouth-watering start of a visit to this delightful little pub right on the estuary of beautiful Bosham. Warm greetings to 4 chaps from in and around the capital as part of a splinter group for my brother's hilarious 30th birthday weekend were appreciated (local death stares and jukebox malfunctions are the norm for local pubs such as this normally), and the selection of real ales were met with the appetite for trying them all - to which we over-indulged ten-fold. Good bantered bar staff and a real atmosphere of local authenticity swept through the traditional decor, a log fire providing a subtle comfortability which was duly toasted by yet another pint, and the decor filled with types of ship-ahoy nature.

Our Saturday dining experience was just absolutely banging, this time accompanied by the ladies. One thing to bare in mind however is it that our party of 7 was considered a fairly large group (their main dining room could cater for two groups of 8-9 i reckon), so booking is essential. Quality Argentinian Malbec and a crisp Sauvignon helped wash down 7 clean plates, which had previously consisted of immaculate starters, steaks and fresh fish dish specials cooked to perfection and id be lying if I said I hadn't sunk another pint of Cornish.

To the snob it may not look much from the outside, weathering must be taken into account from its behind, but inside is a hidden gem of local history and an entertaining aura of a special family haunt which I am sure we will be greeted with our smiley presence again in the near future.

Pay a visit. You simply cannot come away with an upside down smile.

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Another Chance”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Been here a few times and each time it seems to get worse. I've written about it before on TA. I keep going back because I really like the location and want this pub to be great, but after my last visit, I've come to the conclusion, currently it's not. Basically the fish and chips we had were just terrible, greasy, oily and all batter, no fish, chips moribund and a bit of cheap salad as an after thought. The dreary non-description indie music in the background was annoying and I asked them to turn it off. Erm, real shame, I used to go here a few years ago and it was great. But they are very busy so will they care? Who knows but I don't think I will go back to find out. Time will tell.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank TheResturantCritic
“Really good food, very capable staff, good value for money, nice selection of local ciders and a friendly atmosphere.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Good freshly cooked food, menu changes daily. Staff are friendly and extremely capable. Food portions are good and value for money. Beautiful scenery and good fun to be outside when it's high tide. Nice choice of local cider. I Would strong recommend, we ate here two days in a row.

• Visited April 2013
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“A cold evening turned into a delightful evening”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Didn't intend to stop and eat here but so glad we did on a very wet and windy evening. The lemon sole was champion. Staff helpful and patient re my friend and her needs. Good service with lots of smiles. Lovely village the icing on the cake. So well worth the visit.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Superb Food - Stunning Location”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have visited the Anchor Bleu many times now and it has been very consistent. The menu is varied and has a superb selection of dishes at very sensible prices. The Dressed Crab is excellent as is the Fish Chowder, and the Whitebait 'naturel' on a bed of watercress and red onion is a delicious dish to share, accompanied with an ice cold beer or white wine. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The pub is perched on the waterside in the stunningly picturesque village of Bosham, which is perfect for a stroll around before or after; BUT I would warn you to lunch early, as it can get very busy and they do not provide menus or table service, therefore queuing at the bar to place your order can result in a panic for seating. Can't wait to visit again.