“Birthday Lunch”

The Millstream Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Bosham
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Millstream Hotel and Restaurant is located in Bosham, a stones throw from Bosham Creek in the Chichester Harbour and surrounded by the stunning Sussex downs. Millstream is a haven from the hustle and bustle, and its country-style interior and award-winning modern British menu provides a tranquil setting for long lunches and romantic evening meals. Popular dishes include the seared Shetland scallops with pea and mint purée, pancetta and foie gras cream; stuffed breast of guinea fowl with celeriac gratin, leek purée and honey roasted squash foam; and the fine selection of British cheeses served with biscuits, walnut bread, fruit chutney, celery and grapes. The bar, with its cosy fireside setting, is ideal for pre/post dinner drinks.
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday Lunch”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a very happy time celebrating a senior birthday. The renovations since our visit last year have made the rooms very light and the staff continue to be very helpful. We especially enjoyed our puddings and tapioca was a surprisingly well received choice. Try it.
Our menu had some of the dish details printed in very small letters which, unfortunately, our group didn't manage to read correctly. Result was a bit of a surprise on the spicy 'chilli' chart. Kind staff offered to bring something else.
Great place for a birthday lunch.

Visited April 2013

Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Celebration linch”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Good welcome and nice bottle of champagne in the bar. Interesting menu that was very well balanced and delicious. Well put together wine list. We all had a super time and really look forward to our next visit.

• Visited April 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Bit of a surprise”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Went here for my birthday. Went to a lot of trouble researching restaurants in and outside the area because I wanted it to be special. Thought the menu looked very nice but read on their website that they change the menu every day so mailed them to make sure they had the dish I was interested on the day we were going, and they did so decided to go there. When we arrived the menu was completely different, my dish now had truffle mash instead of parsnip mash and a different type of mushroom instead of the girolles I was so looking forward to and instead of the banana mille feuille I had decided on; if we had known this we would have gone to another restaurant that we were thinking of.

However, it wasn't all bad. We were offered some bread (brown, white and cheese) that were OK but by no means artisanal bread. For amuse-bouche we were given some type of mushroom cream/paste/sauce in little cups with croutons in it, we thought this was a nice touch and the mushroom cream had a very rich, true mushroom flavour albeit very salty and the croutons were excellent. I had the beef fillet with truffle mash, mushrooms and bone marrow for main course. The beef fillet was quite nice, the mushrooms OK but far away from as nice as the girolles would be (I'm Swedish and we love chanterelles in Sweden, but they are hard to find here), the truffle mash didn't taste like truffle and at first I couldn't spot the bone marrow on the plate because I was expecting a couple of cut up bone pipes but then I saw that on top of my dish there was a tiny little ball the size of a big grape. This turned out to be the bone marrow that they had covered with bread crumbs and fried. I was disappointed because apart from the chanterelles this was the main reason why I chose the dish; to try something new and get a proper taste of it. Bone marrow is very cheap so I don't understand why you got so very little of it. Some say that bone marrow is a bit like butter, you need to eat it with something else so perhaps that was why you got so little but I feel that it'd have been better if there wouldn't have been any sauce with the dish but instead more bone marrow that you could eat with the potato and the fillet.

My partner had a duck breast with two duck croquettes, asian greens and a thai red curry sauce. I tried some of his duck and it was really nice, and he enjoyed it too. He said that the duck was quite tender and not too fatty which duck can be. He said that the greens were nice but nothing special, that the sauce was very nice and that the croquettes were the best part of the dish. I tried some of those too and I agree, they were quite fresh for something covered in breadcrumbs and fried. They tasted a bit like lemon and some herbs, perhaps coriander but I might be wrong. His only complaint is that you only got two duck croquettes but he said he'd still order it again if we were to go to Millstream again.

For dessert I decided to go with the poached pear with almond cake and licorice ice cream. The ice cream had a very faint licorice flavour, I was hoping for something stronger and less sweet. It was also not creamy enough for my liking. It was served in a brandy snap type basket which was a nice surprise since it wasn't mentioned on the menu. The poached pear was very nice, it was just enough sweet and tasted a lot like vanilla. The almond cake was the best thing in the dessert.

My partner had the lemon tart with pine nut crumble and a yoghurt with mint and lemon. We thought the tart was very nice but that it didn't taste much like pine nuts. I liked the tart so much that we ended up swapping desserts.

The service was good to start with but when later on when we were waiting for the bill we had to wait for quite some time even though we were the last guests and there were plenty of waiters around. They were changing the table cloths instead of making sure we (their guests) were OK, which felt like very bad service for being a fancy restaurant.

This doesn't really affect the quality of the restaurant but we were the only young couple there, the rest of the guests seemed to be over 60. We felt a bit out of place but that's not the restaurant's fault, but ours for not doing enough research. It doesn't really matter though.

We probably wont be going to Millstream again.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank Keith2_13
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Good food and service.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went with friends for supper. Enjoyed the venue and food, no where really to relax after dinner for coffee, but I gather alterations are taking place.

Visited January 2013
Folkestone
“Smart”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The set menu food was very tasty and a good selection along with the specials on offer. The wine selection was good too. The only thing I didn't really like was the long distance between the restaurant and the lounge for after lunch coffee. The lounge itself was very comfortable but just seemed "out of place". This would not put me off going there again.

Visited December 2012