“Efficient but sterile”

Ranked #1 of 5 Bosham B&B and Inns
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Efficient but sterile”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The booking was made for me through my business and on checking back I found the detail ambiguous. No towels for a B&B is puzzling and the term "Lite" is misleading. The booking stated breakfast included and £6 plus for a round of toast and coffee is excessive. The self-check in has it's advantages but the self-certification of breakfast time doesn't. If I had pre-paid I could have stayed at this B&B and needn't have even met the owners.

The decking was treacherous as it was an icy morning but it was also slippy in the wet the previous evening. The outside light only works when moving from the car park and not from the room back to the car so you have to negotiate the decking in the pitch black. The wi-fi although advertised as free was not working. I asked about this and it appears to be a regular occurrence which is why they don't charge extra for it.

Once I met the owner she was pleasant enough but I feel that this B&B does not offer value for money and there are better value establishments in the area that I have stayed at and will do so in the future.

It is clean and the room was comfortable and when pushed you can sleep almost anywhere for one night and in that respect it served it's purpose.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the summer the Goodwood Room opens onto the decking and rear aspect
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bosham-Boater, Owner at The Boathouse Bosham, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
I am afraid that we feel this is one of those situations where an individual values themselves more than their company does.

This room was booked by someone else at the office. We state clearly what's for breakfast. We do supply towels and breakfast is included if booked through us and £2.50 booked through an agency, which this company did do.

Breakfast is about the price of a cup of coffee. As a non coffee drinker I am astounded people will pay £2-3.50 for hot water squeezed through a bean and then grumble at £2.50 for unlimited Cereal, Toast, Jam, Juice Tea & Coffee.

This customers company paid £49.50 for his £7000 Tempur Bed + £2.50 for his breakfast of which we received £39.60 because it was booked through an agency.

Come direct to our website. Search for The Boathouse Bosham its even cheaper.

Regards

Kevin & Lorraine
Ps... As this gentleman stayed the one night which was it Icy or Wet? Either way it's best to take our advice and stick to the anti slip areas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Luton
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I've been here before but that was for a break during the summer. This time my visit was for one night only to attend a funeral next day. I booked "B&B light" so expected some major differences from summer as it was incredibly cheap. I couldn't believe it when I checked in (quite late but as it was self check in there was no stress) The room was beautifully made up lights and radio on Spotlessly clean and very cosy. Bed was superb. We had read our email so knew to bring our towels!! Breakfast in the morning was perfect. Fruit juice masses of cereals different pastries some fruit and as much toast as you could handle. Coffee was filter and there were several choices of tea. I certainly didn't miss a cooked breakfast and neither did my husband So apart from a towel and a couple if eggs the same 5star standard Unbelievable value particularly for this area.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wonderful common sense. You're always welcome

Warm regards

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Firstly the positives, The rooms were lovely, but at nearly £70 a room for a B&B this is to be expected, all clean, tidy and comfortable. We booked all the rooms for a group stay, and apart from the rooms being nice, it fell short of what you would expect of a quality B&B. Our shower door was broken and no towels are provided (although they do state this when you book...but we still thought it seemed strange) further more the Breakfast was just some cereal a toaster and a kettle that didn't work....!, this was described as B&B 'Lite' however the price does not reflect this!...so in short, nice rooms comfy beds, but non existent breakfast and lack of attention to detail. The experience left us with mixed emotions about our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rick J
I have been dying to respond to this.

This is the unfortunate situation where someone booked the rooms on behalf of many others.

They did not read the description of what they were paying for but just saw the price and KERCHING! never mind the rest... the pictures look lovely.

Rather than accepting responsibility to the rest of the group the nest morning they left without trying breakfast because they were expecting a Full English.

They paid £65 for a single Saturday night

Yes we did have the electric 'trip' which took me... oooh I dunno, 30 seconds to flick the switch back. And apparently the curved shower door came off its runner.

Now... When this happens I don't even bend over... I just give it a little flick with my toe but a person with less experience and eh em... less dexterity than me...LoL, may have to bend...
or call me up if it's a major issue and you're looking for your £65 quids worth.

Good luck with the Band

Devon
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

This was a 'spur of the moment' three day break and we basically were not disappointed with our choice! Our room was the Chichester Room; and was tucked away and secluded; with its own private entrance! In season we could have sat outside in our own enclosed part of the garden! The Chichester room was cosy warm and comfortable and suited our needs! We took advantage of the advertised B&B Lite! Our only criticism was it was 'very lite' on imagination! With a little thought it could have been more appetising and remained within the pricing! On two mornings there was only instant coffee although a filter coffee maker was there but not in use! Only on the third morning did it spring to life!! Insufficient butter was provided for the toast! The marmalade and particularly the individual packs of jam we felt were not of good quality! There could have been less choice on these and better quality!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed in the sail loft room which was beautifully decorated and had a very comfortable bed.
Although it's on a main road there wasn't much noise from traffic at all. However we could hear our neighbours talking loudly, but do not know if they were noisy or the walls were thin.
Upon entering the front door, you see the staircase directly in front of you which leads to the loft room. The room is beautifully made up and it is a reasonable size, although you are in the loft as the name suggests and the ceiling is quite low . The space downstairs was a little awkwardly laid out. For instance the shower room is very small with the toilet right next to it and it has a tiny sink. It felt a bit 'fur coat and no knickers'.The overall space of the sail loft room for the price (£220 for 2 nights) was quite disappointing even if it was high season.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Stoutdef
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had a one night and stayed in the Sail loft. Our room was lovely bright, clean and comfortable, the bed was so comfy. We were welcomed by Kevin who was very friendly and would not hesitate to reccommend this B & B.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny B
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Spent a night here yesterday and found everything great, easy to find, tidy, clean, clear info and no hassle. Spoke to Kevin this morning and wish him (them) good luck in the next venture.

Two things I meant to say about - but forgot, (helpful criticism) - couldn't get the wifi to work & the overrun on the downstairs fan in the adjacent apartment is noisy / goes on for far too long - especially at 6.00am in the morning.

Other than that - very pleasant and would return again.

Also good recommendation to go to the Berkley Arms - food / service great.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bosham-Boater, Owner at The Boathouse Bosham, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback.

I just wanted to say one thing for the benefit of anyone looking to stay.

When you rightly brought the fan to my attention I did explain that it had just been replaced and the Electrician had set it all to it's maximum durations. (Which is standard for a commercial application)

I did tell you that I would go round that day with my screwdriver and adjust it down to run for a couple of minutes after the light was switched off. This is exactly what I did do.

I thanked you for sharing this with me.

It's great when a customer lets you know of a problem but as I explained the reason and remedied it within hours of you leaving. Was this really the place to mention it again?

Goodness knows how many people were put off by this. Just a tip for future review writing.

All the best both of you

Kind regards

Kevin & Lorraine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bosham
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
Premier Inn Chichester Hotel
Lockgate Dairy
Lockgate Dairy
#1 of 76 in Chichester

Been to The Boathouse Bosham? Share your experiences!