“A taste of Mexico”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Stowmarket
“A taste of Mexico”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Quite a basic restaurant, but very friendly service and lovely food. I had the mixed grill which was massive and left no room for dessert. Nice pot of pop corn and basket of nachos provided free as nibbles at the start of the meal. Great value overall.

Visited March 2013

Paris, France
“Happy for the discovery”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I came to write a review of El Gringo and was a bit surprised to see all of the negatives reviews previously published here because I had a different experience. A friend took me here for the first time and admittedly the exterior looks a bit tacky and not all that inviting. However, I was so happy to be able to eat some Tex-Mex food that I overcame that first negative impression quickly. I have been in France 17 years and miss Mexican / Tex-Mex food more than anything coming from the US. The interior is a bit of an eclectic mix of styles but it was inviting all the same. The restaurant was full that Saturday night and luckily they had a table for us because we hadn’t reserved. I noticed that they have an outdoor back terrace, too. The staff was friendly and the service was very efficient. I didn’t care for the margarita at all, expensive for what it was and not like the great margaritas that one can find in the US, but I often find that this is the case everywhere in Paris. The big test for me is always the chips and the salsa. I hate restaurants that serve tortilla chips like those you can buy at the local grocery store with the “pseudo” salsa from the jar. They passed the test! In addition, these were offered free along with a small dish of olives. We ordered the chicken nachos (very good although they were smothered with too much cheese sauce) followed by fajitas and chicken tacos, also very good and well presented. The servings were so generous that we couldn’t finish everything. I am happy to report that we did not get sick from the food, as others have mentioned in their reviews. I found the prices in general to be reasonable. Is it the greatest Tex-Mex restaurant in the Paris area? No, but I have had far worse experiences with Tex-Mex in Paris. Would I go back? Yes, it was good enough that I would return, especially since I live in the east suburbs, so it is very convenient. It is easy to get there by foot from the RER A if you don’t have a car. They said they will soon be opening on Sundays for brunch.

• Visited July 2012