“Great Location”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Borobudur
singapore
“Great Location”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stay here if you are visiting Borobudur as it's only 5min walks. I suggest guest to join their sunrise package at 4.30am which cost only rupiah 230,000 per person and the space are all yours when on top Borobudur. Hotel will provide sarong for their in house guest when going up to Borobudur.

Normal entry fee is rupiah 380,000 per person but the moment gate open for visitors at 0700 the crowd is really really too much and walking around the area is a bit tight.

Room is OK and we love the balcony area which is spacious and you can enjoy the ambiance.

When at resort, please arrange for reception to book Andong(rph 150,000 per Andong) for sight seeing of the village nearby. You can witness all kinds of plantation and padi field plus making of rice snacks and bean curd. We also stop by local market to see how their markets looks like and buy Gula Jawa (brown sugar) and local snacks. I guarantee you will love this experience :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night over the Easter weekend.

This is the only hotel INSIDE Borobudur Park, and temple entrance is less than a 5 minute walk. Room rates include breakfast and multiple entrances to Borobudur. This makes it very good value for money considering entrance fee for foreign nationals is IDR 190,000 per adult.

Rooms are modern, well equipped and comfortable. Hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped. WiFi is free and worked well in the rooms and common areas.

Dinner at the main restaurant was average. There was a reasonable spread at breakfast, with the usual mix of Asian and Western options.

I would highly recommend purchasing the sunrise 'tour', which leaves the hotel at 04:30, reaching the top of Borobudur at 04:45. While it does not come with a guide, there are not too many other people until 07:00, so you get a chance to view the sunrise at 05:30 and explore Borobudur before the crowds come in.

Staff are polite and helpful. We left a bunch of clothes in the room before checking out and headed out to explore Borobudur around noon - staff neatly packed them in a laundry bag and came rushing to our car to hand them to us when we were leaving.

Do note there are renovation works taking place on some guest rooms, which does make it a bit difficult to sleep after completing the sunrise visit. Best to ask for a room that is away from the works.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the restaurant, they overlook beautifully landscaped gardens.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed just 1night here for RM250 or approximately usd80. The distance from yogya town is roughly one half hour. So for those who wishes to go for Borobudur sunrise tour it wud be advisable to stay here so that u don hv to wkeup extremely early to travel from town n furthermore its cheaper for hotel guest to buy the package @Rp230,000.

The room has a porch overseeing a beautiful garden n the rest of the facilities are pretty basix for a 4star hotel. However the food n souveniers here are more towards the costly end.

For guest stayin here,there's a private pathway directly to Borobudur which is great.

Overall a hotel slightly on the pricey end but is worth every penny to live in as one cud save a considerable amount of time in travellin

• Stayed March 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

If you love Borobudur, this would be the best hotel for you to stay on as you do not need to pay any fee for multiple entry to the beautiful Unesco site. However, there would be additional charges if you plan to see the sunrise there.

The hotel is surrounded by greens and peaceful with birds chirping. Although the rooms might be a little low in maintenance with dim lightings, we have enjoyed our stay there. The Borobudur Sunrise Tour was exciting and we took a short walk from the hotel to Borobudur. Glad that we booked the hotel as it is totally worth the money you have paid and we will definitely stay in this hotel again!

The breakfast was simple but yummy and we enjoyed our meal surrounded by greens.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I managed a 24 hour trip from Jakarta taking in Borobudur and Prambanan without feeling rushed, thanks to Manohara, who provided an excellent service. I'm sure it's possible to do everything a bit cheaper, but I wasn't price sensitive. The sunrise tour is a must.

I emailed them in advance, and they were very helpful and patient, answering all my questions about logistics. Their driver met me at the airport and drove me the hour or so to the hotel. The hotel itself is very nice - small, simple rooms, but clean with very good air conditioning, kettle, fridge and wifi which works in the rooms. The grounds are stunning - traditional buildings with covered walkways in between and lovely gardens overlooking Borobudur. I had dinner in the restaurant, which was good.

The next morning I got up at 4.30 for the sunrise tour, which was magical. They give you a torch and guide you the 10 mins or so walk to the temple. You climb to the top and wait for the sun to come up, at about 5.30. The sunrise itself may or may not be spectacular depending on the weather. The most important thing though is that once it's happened, you've got up to an hour in the temple with just the 30 or so people on the tour before the doors open to everyone else. Once you all spread out looking around the rest of the temple it really feels like you're alone - an amazing experience.

Went back to the hotel for breakfast, which had a reasonable spread, the went back to the temple for another look (staying at the hotel gets you unlimited access to the temple).

Then at 11, the hotel's driver took me to Prambanan, I had an hour and a half there - the driver stayed in the car with my bags, so I didn't have to carry them around. He was great, and gave me his card. If anyone wants his details for a private hire, let me know.

Then to the airport for a 3pm flight. All in, for the 2 private transfers, room, dinner and sunrise tour, the cost was about £120. Given the level of service, I thought this was great value and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MuseliHill
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had wanted to see Borobudur since I was six, so I booked four nights to see it peacefully. somewhat alarmed byn egative reviews I had read. Well, I thought it was one of the best hotels I had ever stayed at--and I had just come from the Changi Crowne Plaza in Singapore. Wonderful grounds, welcoming staff: room would be small for two, but wood floors, panelling, shelving attractive and I was especially pleased by all the FOUR well-placed electrical outlets--to recharge Nook,IPhone, etc. Small porch: in the afternoons I made several videos of the monsoon rains that are as refreshing as I hoped they would be. The hotel booked a splendid guide for me,and gave good advice about timing visits. I did two sunrise tours: on the first one, sat and watched for the sunrise, then saw how it changed the temple. On the second one, the sun remained behind clouds, but the mist gave its own magic. After the sunrise tour, a special simple breakfast shared with guide, then the regular breakfast--always four dishes and a soup; staff standing at the ready to cook eggs for westerners but why with such good choices? There's a wonderful video about the reliefs of the temple (amazing variety and preservation!) that I saw in my room--a man came from the desk to show me how--DO see it!--also the hotel has a library with specialied books about the site and related topics, I wish I had discovered it sooner. My only criticism would be that they need to put a list of services in the rooms--getting a car for a short or long trip is easy and cheap. I could have easily arranged an airport pickup, but was put off by the reports that the staff spoke English poorly- not true when I was there. Simple, but clear and helpful. (I thoroughly agree with some comments about the little shop by the dining room--ok for cards)

Room Tip: I saw rooms that were bigger than mine--mine might have been cramped for two. all on ground floor, a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank pachomius
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Nice modern rooms with park entrance fees included in the price. Nice location right next to the temple, practically in the temple! The food was just so so, nothing special. Definitely worth staying one night to see the temple and move on. The staff was very professional.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borobudur
Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa
#6 of 10 in Borobudur
Plataran Heritage Borobudur Hotel
Hyatt Regency Yogyakarta
The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection

Been to Hotel Manohara Borobudur? Share your experiences!