“Should you?”

Hotel Manohara Borobudur
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Borobudur
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Like many travelers to Borobudur I picked the Manohara because of the location. I stayed there for 3 nights in February. Calling it a ‘resort’ is a bit of a stretch. It offered very basic and clean accommodations, nothing extra. If you are expecting a Bali like resort you will be disappointed. If your sole purpose is to see one of the best, if not the best, Buddhist monuments in the history of civilization, its location offers unlimited access to the site. The hotel is inside the main gate of the park and therefore you can walk in and out anytime you feel like without paying (except for the sunrise which you will need a special ticket.) The sunrise tour is supposedly organized by the hotel but basically they just let you go through its dinning room and walk up the monument. You are on your own after that. You won’t hear people saying the sunrise tour was not worth it. If the weather is cooperating it can be spectacular. (there are risks in the wet season (Oct-May), and the dry season offers much better chances of perfect sunrise) But if nothing else you still get to avoid the crowd. And that itself is worth the price of admission. But if the sunrise tour is the only reason you are picking this hotel you should think twice. More than half the tour participants come in from other hotels in Borobudur. They might have to get up 15 minutes earlier but you can have choices of real ‘resorts’ in Borobudur. For most, spending two more hours at the monument after the sunrise shall cover it all, including all 5 lower levels and the top 3 stupas levels, if the heat hasn’t gotten to you first. (try to avoid weekends as there are local school field trips that bring in hundreds of uniformed students who take the monument as Disneyland) If you are like pilgrims and like to spend all hours of the day at the monument then staying in Manohara is like camping out there, only with air-conditioning and indoor plumbing. Staff is friendly. Watch out for the little souvenir stand outside the dinning room. I bought a book there after talking the price from Rp 750,000 down to 600,000. I didn’t think I needed to bargain with the hotel like I would in the streets. I was wrong. The same book was listed Rp295,000 at the Yogyakarta Airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Henry Y
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for one night in the resort, the hotel location is right at the side of Borobudur temple. The staff were very polite and helpful, the hotel surroundings was quiet and peaceful. We were entertained with the traditional shadow puppet show / wayang kulit at night and in the morning we went for the Sunrise tour, but due to cloudy weather, we did not get to see the sunrise, but even that, the view from the temple was fantastic.
We loved the landscaping and gardens, we had breakfast in the open air dining area but the room was small and old, the bathroom shower curtain was stained and dirty. And there is no swimming pool, gym or spa.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank j-lho
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I booked a double room including breakfast and paid $57USD in advance using Paypal; this also included regular Borobudur entrance tickets (not Sunrise Tour). I must say for the price and given how close the place was to the Borobudur Temple I wasn’t expecting too much so I was quite blown away when we arrived. The resort has beautiful landscaped grounds and a beautiful open air lobby where we were given a nice welcome drink and a cold towel upon arrival. The room we were given (#27) was small but very well appointed so didn’t feel too small. No night tables. Desk and chair, double bed (good linens - 2 pillows), build in wardrobe, tea, coffee making facilities, small fridge, luggage rack, 2 small bottles of water. Free wifi worked well in room. Bathroom is small but fine with a good water pressure controlled shower; 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and bathmat. There was a sliding door leading to a nice little patio with 2 chairs and table. They were doing some renovations (Jan 2013) on some room blocks so there was chiselling noise from ~08:30 to 5pm – but not a big bother. Not sure when they will be finished but ask if it may be a concern for you. We were here for the Borobudur Sunrise tour so were up at 4am anyway. The included breakfast was pretty good and was served in the open cafe area. There is also a large open pavilion restaurant serving good value and pretty good quality lunches and dinners. We had our own pre-arranged transportation coming in. We asked the front desk to arrange a car and driver to the airport with 2 short stops along the way for the next day and they did for a reasonable price. The walk to the Temple is less than 10 minutes from this hotel – a really fabulous location and stay. Two nights here would be great but really one night is sufficient if you arrive in the early afternoon and don’t leave until noon or so the next day.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The staff do not speak English to a very basic level at this busy tourist hotel and I was woken at 4am by unwanted calls to my room! I have travelled in Indonesia for more than 2 months and this is the one and only really bad experience I have had. The reception staff are incredibly rude as others who have listed their review as poor or terrible have mentioned. The whole resort lacks any character and my bathroom smelled like a drain and the water did not go down the plug hole when I showered, hence a blockage and the smell. The shower curtain was also filthy and stank. I reported it to reception very politely and they just stared at me and said nothing, eventually they told me to wait. They spent about 15 mins talking amongst themselves and ignoring me then told me again to wait while they found the engineer. I said it was not necessary for me to wait as I was going to Borobudur temple and left them to it. I returned and later had another quick shower to cool down and the drain was no different. Again I went to reception and casually said it was not fixed and they were surly and unhelpful. It was very difficult to communicate and they were just lying to my face. I asked if there was anyone who could speak better English (I appreciate I am in their country and was polite) to which they said 'Yes can I help you?' I asked to speak to the manager and was told he was busy eating his lunch.
At 2.30pm I asked to order a taxi again, drawing a blank stare (you would think that would be possible!) and eventually was told a 5 minute journey would cost 100000IRP when a journey that morning for 2 hours had cost 250000IRP I questioned the price then they said OK 50000. Just bad service all around. After they called the taxi they said the manager would call me in my room to wait there in the afternoon. I replied that they had just called me a taxi and knew I was going out for the afternoon. I went to the lovely Amanjiwo and had wonderful dessert and afternoon tea and the guest relations manager was so distressed to hear how disappointed I was she actually called the Manohara to politely explain the problem with the drains.
When I returned they still had not looked at my bathroom and the male receptionist told me to wait and just walked to the back of the office and stood outside and had a cigarette.
I declined the offer of a wake up call at 4 am to see the sunrise and made it quite clear through translation from my tour guide and at 4am I was woken and again at 4.15 by a phone call to ask if I was going to see the sunrise. The manager eventually was available as I was leaving the hotel after one night as I had wanted to stay for 2 nights. He did listen to the problems then asked me to write a report to make their staff training better. That would have taken an hour and so I declined and he gave me a 15% refund. I would have gladly given up this token gesture for a good nights sleep. I checked into the Plataran hotel instead BLISS worth every penny - a different world.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank travelindia2011
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with friends over Christmas for 3 days in 2012 Christmas lunch spent gazing at the monument after doing the sunrise tour. This tour is an absolute must! Sure it cost $23 US but You get escorted from the hotel(with torch)and about 30 others to have two hours to see the temple in the change of light over the dawn To have the experience of such a place without the many thousands of visitors who begin to arrive after 6.30 when the gates open is exceptional. We stayed for 3 days , we think 2 is enough as there is no spa or pool and the "shop" really a couple of tables, should explore the sale of more than tacky souvenirs.;there is so much history and opportunity for beautiful books or photographs to take home.The gardens are lovely the view of the temple superb , the meals in the restaurant very good and the price is also good.Our rooms were great as they were in the new wing.Very pleasant, and seemingly secure.However, my passport was stolen from my room which I realised after half an hour on the road after checking out at 6.30. Our driver rang the hotel to say where I had hidden it (no room safe and I didn't realize there were safety boxes at reception, my mistake)They checked where I had hidden it in the room -under the tea and coffee tray - and said it was not there. The front door in the new room was electronically keyed with a solid door to the back patio with a key with a chain attaching it to the door and the inside lock. I saw no evidence of anyone trying to break in, and nothing else including credit cards and money was taken. The only people I saw in the room were the house boys who , of course had an electronic key. The management did not offer to ask them if they had spotted my passport while cleaning the room. My visit was marred by this lack of care AND of course the theft of my passport. If you choose to stay there. be very, very careful of security. Government run and it shows.

Room Tip: ask for the new wing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Elaine T
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed 1 night the day before going for the sunrise tour of Borobudur the next morning. The hotel although rather dated but clean. I love the serene and calmness that we felt when we stayed here. Something about the surroundings that makes this place special. Had dinner at its restaurant and was rather surprised with the quality of the food. Must try it's local fish dish. Breakfast was average but adequate with local and continental foods. The service was very good as we were welcomed with a serving of local tea with lemon grass, and cool towel. There's free wifi in the room and in its restaurants which makes it really convenient.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Been here on 2012 Aid of Mubarak holiday. Tho the place are not consider new furbished but you may consider this place as your secret hidden place to leave all the bustle in big city. The room and the bathroom are average, but you can't buy the atmosphere in the biggest Buddhist temple in south east Asia.

The breakfast are okay, you may pick some bread or juice to bring along to Borobudur (for guest of Manohara the temple entrance are different with the regular visitor). Yup, the admission are inclusive with the room package-but you may have to pay the tour-guide (its strongly advised to ask the tour-guide in the front desk if you interested with the temple story and background, tho already been here hundreds of time since kids, never been bored with the story at the temple relief). The tour-guide price is around 100-200K Rupiah, and it's strongly advised as well you visit the temple in the earliest morning say 06.00-06.30 AM before the temple crowd with lots of people.

You may also eat on their restaurants as they will have the Javanese dance performance, and its okay (for Indonesian people), and unique (for non Indonesian), the food & beverage price are also not extraordinary.

1 word, LOVE IT!!

Room Tip: If you travel with more than 4, better book the rooms beside the front-desk (forgot the room number...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borobudur
Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa
#14 of 23 in Magelang
Hotel Puri Asri
Hotel Puri Asri
#13 of 23 in Magelang

Been to Hotel Manohara Borobudur? Share your experiences!