“Great room, great location”
Review of Lotus 2 Homestay

and 1 more site!
Lotus 2 Homestay
Ranked #2 of 27 Borobudur B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We loved it here.
The staff were excellent, the location was walking distance to the temple and our room was huge and clean. The staff are really helpful and even gave us a lift to some buddhist chanting on one day. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Hostel is well known - that's why I chose it. Owners are offering tours for guests and take care of opinions. Hostel doesn't have much room, but has large terraces overlooking rice field and interesting atmosphere. My room was large, but very modest. Bathroom required strong psychic. At night there was some animal at room, at the morning we found on the floor a lot of small droppings ;) But there is nothing to worry about ;) I used sunrise tour to view of the Borobudur temple at morning sun and I liked it. Upon arrival I was offered a coffee. Breakfast was also good. The staff is nice, but guests are treated with a certain distance.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Borobudur can be much more than just a day trip, and if you do choose to stay we'd recommend Lotus II.
Firstly the welcome that we received was extremely friendly. One of the many young lads working at the guesthouse provided us with a map and a detailed account of all the great value tours that Lotus II offered.
Our room was one of the most interesting rooms we've encountered on our trip through Asia! It looked like it belonged in a museum or something! A very comfy bed with a good mosquito net (which you'll need only if to shelter you from incoming gecko poo), a big bathroom with hot water and even a sofa. The best part of the room however is the seating area outside the door. It overlooks the rice fields and we enjoyed breakfast and tea there in the relaxing setting.
We decided to take two tours with Lotus II, firstly the sunrise tour which unfortunately was accompanied by cloud but still provided nice views, just not of the temple. Secondly we did the evening trip to the Buddhist monastery, it is a very relaxing privalege to witness the monks praying and meditating.
Lotus II offer a number of other tours. The hike through the rice fields and surrounding countryside sounded great but it was recommended more for dry season.
The best aspect of this guesthouse is the staff who are all great hosts and really take care of their guests. My girlfriend picked up a bad cold and one of the staff made her a special ginger tea to help her!
A stay filled with kindness.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lotus II has a particular thing: is run by locals, specifically by Jaker, an amazing local guy. I travel all around Java and Lotus II is the best hostel in price/quality. My room was a big beautiful room with a big bed and a very modern decoration. It gave me a spiritual sensation. Jaker and the people who works there told us about amazing things to do around the place, which we did and was extraordinary, knowing the indonesian life from the inside. The too took us in a tour to the meditation monastery of Mendut, and it was unbelievable.
I recommend this place not only because if nice and beautiful, but because it's really different and helpful to know the area. It has few rooms so I recommend to make a reservation.

Room Tip: As all the hostels in Borobudur, you will probably will wake up with the morning call to pray. I r...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Lotus II and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. My room was huge with a sofa, a king-sized bed with mosquito net and a large private bathroom. The room opened onto the main balcony overlooking several rice paddies. It was mesmerising to sit and watch the rice grow, with the occasional excitement of a farmer hunting for snails or a kingfisher rattling its call.

Jack Priyana, the owner, has been instrumental in forming Jaker, a group of young Javanese men who are trained as guides. Although I visited Borobudur Temple alone, I went on three Jaker guided tours, and they were all excellent. The rice paddy walk started with an hour on the back of a motorbike to reach a little village in the hills. From there we hiked through the rice fields to the 9th century Hindu temple, Candi Selogriyo. We were gone for almost six hours and it was lovely to get up close and personal with the Javanese countryside.

That evening we drove 10 minutes to Candi Mendut, which the caretaker opened especially for us. It was very atmospheric to enter the temple alone at night and to enjoy the bas-reliefs by torchlight. We walked to the nearby Buddhist temple, where I sat at the back as the monks chanted their evening prayers, and then I joined in their short meditation.

The last morning of my visit I got up before 4:30…never a problem as there’s a mosque practically in the backyard…and was transported around the back of Borobudur and up into the hills. There was a stunning view of the misty valley with the temple as the centrepiece, set against a backdrop of two volcanoes, Mt. Merbabu and Mt. Merapi. All these tours are offered at rock-bottom prices, and are fantastic value for money.

If you don’t need 3 or 4-star accommodation you will definitely be happy at the Lotus II Guesthouse. It’s an easy-going place to hang out and the tours are absolutely fabulous.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room at the back.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Zingle
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Lotus II was a very good place to stay. The rooms were clean and spacious. The common area (verandah) had a great view (we saw a snake bounding across the rice paddie) and the whole place has an easy going feel to it. It was excellent value for money and the staff were very helpful in organising and giving tours and advice.

However, we booked an air-conditioned room and were given one with a fan. Also, the hot water worked only at certain times.

Having said the above, we would whole-heartedly recommend Lotus II to others. Excellent value and very helpful staff (especially Eric). You should try and get a Jaker tour to Mendut Temple in the evening - really special.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank LauraP1881983
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is not the luxury place but it's where you can make friends and have a good time.

I was staying there for only one night. The room was okay but the hot water didn't work. And it's a bit noisy coz my single room faces the road. However, I'm okay with all that coz I had a nice breakfast time on the balcony (on the other side of the building) that has the rice field view. The hostel is also super close to Borobudur temple, local warung and restoran and a supermarket. So it's very convenient.

What i like most is their tour service. I went to the Mendut temple with a staff (Nuri) in the evening and had a very good time. Yes... another good thing of Lotus II is their super friendly and very nice staff and owner (Jack). I also had a good conversation with Jack in the evening before he took off to visit his staff's wife who just delivered a baby in Surabaya (what a good boss!)

So yes.. go there if you need a cheap place to stay, and also friendly faces to see :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borobudur
Hotel Manohara Borobudur
Borobudur Village Inn
Borobudur Village Inn
#4 of 27 in Borobudur
Graharu Boutique Hotel & Spa

Been to Lotus 2 Homestay? Share your experiences!