“stunning”
Review of Amanjiwo Resorts

Amanjiwo Resorts
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Borobudur
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Built in the shadow of Borobudur, this hotel is truly a stunning property and ranks up there with the best hotels I've stayed in around the world. Not only is the property/rooms beautiful, the customer service is off the charts. Upon stepping off the plane in Yogyakarta, we were immediately met by an Amanjiwo representative before we'd even left the tarmac. We were ushered in a side door at the airport and put in a comfortable room with some beverages and local treats while a few other Amanjiwo staff retrieved our bags. So the tone was set immediately. After that, we were driven to the hotel, which was a little over an hour away. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Mark, the GM, as well as Kiki, another high-level staffer there. They spoke with us for about an hour about the property and all the activities that were planning to do. As we were staying three nights, we received the Cultural Trails package, which afforded us three free activities as well as daily breakfast. I highly recommend this to anyone staying there. It's a value and the activities are great. And Mark is a really nice guy that seems to take the time with all the guests, whether you're a "high roller" or a couple on honeymoon like myself and my wife. After that, we were taken to our room and shown around. I would say that I would have liked the opportunity to use the bathroom as we'd had a long trip, but I was able to wait.

The meals were great and the servers really go the extra mile to make you comfortable and satisfied. At the start of each meal, they'd come over and tuck a pillow behind your back. And breakfast, which was included, wasn't just Continental -- it was anything off the menu that you wanted. Really nice. My one knock was that they'd ask you if you wanted sparkling or still water at the beginning of each meal. My wife and I opted for sparkling. We had no idea we'd be charged for it, although I must admit that the thought crossed my mind. But they don't show you a bill there until you checkout. I have to take some blame for not asking if there was a charge for the sparkling water, but I got a rude awakening on our last night when I saw that I was being charged nearly $30 a meal for it! When I brought it to Kiki's attention, she kind of laughed uncomfortably. I found that's a common response in Indonesia. They really want to please you and when you complain about something, it's awkward and they have a difficult time dealing with it. But they did remove a portion of the sparkling water charge, which I thought was nice. Moving forward, I think they should alert people that there is a charge for the sparkling water when they offer it. They also gave us two free sixty-minute massages (not because of the water, because it was our honeymoon), which I thought was really generous considering the prices at their spa.

The room was beautiful and, unlike our previous hotels, mercifully had a bathroom and shower that were both indoors! My wife, unfortunately, had a black ant problem on her side of the closet (there are separate vanities and closets in the rooms). The staff did everything they could to combat it, but it seems to be a problem that you'd have in any room. There are too many nooks and crannies for the ants to get in -- the doors don't seal when you shut them, there's a tiny gap. Not a huge deal and the ants are harmless, just know you'll probably be dealing with it. My other issue with the room was that it was a little hot at night, even with the AC turned all the way up. I'd wake up each morning with a slight sweat. It wasn't too uncomfortable, but I thought it didn't do justice to the hotel, which was really fantastic in almost every other way. One other thing that surprised me -- their gym, or lack thereof. It's actually in a converted suite. It appears that the hotel was built without a gym, then people must have complained and they fashioned one out of a room. It's kind of ill-equipped and the visible bones of the old room make it a little awkward to work out in. I understand that they probably don't want to compromise the hotel by building another structure that doesn't really fit with the glory of the main building, but what they have now doesn't really work. I'd at the very least gut the room so it doesn't feel so haphazardly thrown together. The communal pool is gorgeous, with a view of the rice fields, and you can have a meal there as well. And the pool boys, upon your arrival, immediately go to work on readying your space - laying down towels, even hanging your shirt up on a hanger under your umbrella! Like I said, they really want you to be comfortable and happy there. Overall, the type of place that you remember for a long, long time. If you can stay there, do it. Oh, and one other thing -- have the hotel set up dinner for you in town at Pak Bilal's house if you can. We did on our last night, and it was a highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed at Amanjiwo for three days for a family holiday. The service exceptional. We stayed at the presidential suite. Check-In and Check-Out was fast. The Food was excellent. The rooms were relatively comfortable. The private swimming pool on the backdrop of paddy fields was toooo good.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DevangDhan
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I’m all about location! When your hotel overlooks tropical green lush planes of Central Java while hugging the foothills above, flanked on either side by two magnanimous volcanoes, and aligned with the symmetry of the hotel structure, dead centre ahead, the temples of Borobodur … the feelings evoked by this image is pure magic!

Staying at Amanjiwo is akin to staying at home (for a brief moment let us pretend like we would have a home like this!) Waltzing around the estate is about seeing familiar faces, as if you’ve known the staff all your life. They seem to know your desires, your questions, your habits. Attentive without being presumptuous. There are also no bills to sign. You eat, you drink, you leave from the table. Easy, no hassle. Everything is correctly itemized on your final bill prior to departure. This level of service only comes from years and years of experience. We later found out that most of the staff have been with the property from the very beginning, in 1997. The loyalty shows, as does their passion for their work.

The property is par excellence. Built in a symmetric fashion of concentric circles, it somewhat mimics the design of Borobodur. All the amenities that you could desire for this price point are there. Including a seamless transition of the wifi signal from your room, to the pool, to the lobby area and yes, into the Aman car that will whisk you to all your desired sites.

What Aman does really well is create unique experiences which are definitely worth paying for, since mostly, these are once-in-a-lifetime experiences. So splurge on that 0445 wake-up call to see the sunrise over Borobodur, with Merapi and Merbabu volcanoes outlined in the distance. The general gates of the temple site open at 0600, so with perhaps 12 visitors with us watching the sunrise, it felt very exclusive. You will be convinced once you see the people streaming in after opening hours. Don’t forget to add-on the breakfast on Bukit Dagi hill nearby, which overlooks the temples. Splurge on the sunset drinks in the rice paddies below the hotel. The soft light at the end of the evening, with the volcanoes tinting the horizon while you sip soursop martinis is surreal. It’s even more surreal once the stars start to appear straight above you. Take the bicycles that are provided and drive around the local villages to see the happiness and friendliness of the Javanese people.

All those splurges are sure to form unforgettable moments.

The only slight fault in my eyes is the bathroom design in the suites. I don’t like divisiveness in design. Instead of having the sinks next to each other, they are split on opposite sides of the room creating an atmosphere where you are far away from your partner.

This one flaw will not, however, spoil your fairy-tale experience at Amanjiwo in Borobodur.

Room Tip: The suites on the bottom level, by the rice paddies, are the prized ones. If you stay one level up...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bojantercon
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I've been to a number of Aman locations. All of them are in beautiful and tranquil areas. Their staff are always so helpful. This location is very close to Borobudur and was the inspiration for their facility. Somehow they made a grand building which melds in keeping with the area. The food was exceptional as was the people who looked after us. As with all Aman resorts, they think of just about everything!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the grounds give you a lovely view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2014

If there is a more glorious setting and better designed hotel in the world then I would be truly surprised.The Ed Tuttle designed building is worth the visit alone.The view of the great Borobudur monument/temple is stunning.The staff are supremely friendly and efficient.Little surprises are there hallmark.The local food is well prepared and the rooms luxurious yet understated.There is a long pool with another great view.Interesting excursions abound but it is not suitable for young children.Yes it is expensive but worth every penny.Unforgettable!

Room Tip: Go for a Borobudur suite
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Looking for a special, out of the way place ...then this is it!

It starts with the incredible view of the Borobudur temple captured by the architecture of this majestic sand stone hotel. The hotel rotunda and suites have been harmoniously blended into the hill side providing a dress circle view of Borobudur in the misted valley beyond surrounded by majestic volcanoes. Make sure you spend the extra $$ and get a suite with an amazing view of the temple.

We stayed in a Borobudur suite which was stunning. Large outdoor terrace with day bed and an equally spacious interior with King size plus bed, his and hers wardrobe and vanity, with a great outdoor sunken stone bath. The décor is high end but relaxed with all the amenities you require at your finger tip. If you love lots of soft furnishings and over the top fussy interior decoration then this hotel is not for you! We loved the simplicity and harmony of the décor.

A nice personal touch is the complimentary painting set provided in room, so guests if they choose, can paint their favourite view! The best thing about the suite was it was totally private, quiet and peaceful! In fact most of the time we felt as if we were alone in the hotel, with only 30 suites there is a corresponding small number of guests. In fact during the day we found most guests are out exploring the local sites around central Java and often we had the beautiful pool area to ourselves.

We booked an Amanjiwo Cultural Trail Package offering 3 complimentary activities which was really good value. The highlight of course was the private guided tour of the Buddhist Borobudur temple. The temple is around 15 mins drive from the hotel down the valley. A word of caution though - do not leave it too late in the morning to see the temple!! We got to the temple around 7.30am and by then it was literally packed with wall to wall Indonesian schools kids who were delightful but really spoiled the serenity and atmosphere of the temple. It was hard to get away from the noise and excitement of the crowds as they crawled all over the ancient stone carved walls and monuments. So I would recommend you get up earlier to see the temple set against the sunrise with a chosen few...a photographers dream!

I must also mention the staff and management of Amanjiwo, they were fantastic and could not do enough for you. From the great service in the dining room (a good variety of quality food is offered both Western and Asian), to the delivery of freshly cut Aloe Vera plant to our suit to ease sunburn, the hotel staff were personable and caring. We were also offered a customised private guide trek to a hill top temple with views to die for across lush green terraced rice fields by management.

The one down side to this hotel is the gym which seems like an after thought as it's in a modified guest suite and does not have the full range of equipment. But this is a small price to pay for the other activities and amenities the hotel has to offer.

This Aman hotel is located in a really magical, special area of central Java which is like the garden of Eden and should definitely be put on your to do list!

Room Tip: Definitely get a suite with the view of Borobudur Temple. Also there is no need to spend the extra...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SavvySolutions
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed at the Amanjiwo during the Chinese New Year. They have Mandarin-speaking staff to serve us, we impressed with personalized service. The view to Borobudur is really stunning when entering the lobby, and we also overlooked the Borobudur from our room. The rich diversity of their meals and cultural activities, it's really a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borobudur
Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa
#7 of 22 in Magelang
Hotel Puri Asri
Hotel Puri Asri
#13 of 22 in Magelang

Been to Amanjiwo Resorts? Share your experiences!