Villa Borobudur Resort
$38
$73
$62
Priceline
Tingal Laras Art House Homestay(Borobudur)(Great Value!)
$19
$51
$46
Agoda.com
Amanjiwo Resorts(Borobudur)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsprivate pooljavanese experienceeach mealnon alcoholic drinksvolcanic mountainsdragon headsurprise upgradewhite water raftingoverlooking the valleystaff went out of their waycall to prayerjavanese styleeach eveningthree nightsyogyakarta airportrice fieldslaundry service
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were recommended this place by a friend and were absolutely blown away by the stunning location, amazing service and delicious food. We did a couple of day trips and found the local people to be very friendly and the countryside beautiful. The Villa made everything very easy, and we felt like royalty! It was my son's 8th birthday while we were there and they brought in a birthday cake as a surprise. The only slight concern we had was the open air sleeping and mosquitos but then again the open air ambiance also made it a unique experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Noëlle H, Owner at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Christine, As said before thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments and experiences here on Tripadvisor. We are happy you discovered and experienced the beauty and charm of Central Java, its surroundings and its people. Hopefully we can welcome you again, as your son said he had his "best Birthday ever!" Warm regards from all of us at Villa Borobudur, Noëlle Haitsma

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Villa Borobudur (VB)? That name was not in my list before, and I had never heard of it also. One of my friend told me about VB, (just a kind or resort near Candi Borobudur) eventhough he had never been there and also didn't know anything about it. I found the website and the pictures inside looked nice. So I tried to book one villa Borobudur for 2 nights from 15-17 Dec 2012.

We arrived at Jogja at noon time and VB staff (miss Yana) called me because she needed to prepare the lunch for us. However we skipped the lunch that day because we planned to stop by at Jogja first. So we arrived at VB in the late afternoon, and on the way to the site I was just guessing and wondering what the place looked like. My husband and children kept asking me if I was sure with the booking, and I said I wasn't sure. My friend with his car drove us to the parking area and VB's car picked us up to take us to the villa. Still didn't know what to expect, but my family were getting excited then! Especially when they saw the hidden, rather steep, small road, leading us seems to such a place in the middle of nowhere... But..... when finally we arrived at the site and sent to our villa then to the Joglo for some snacks and drinks.... Wowwwww...... What a STUNNING view from the open joglo! (and even better view from our villas!!! ).

Our stay was only for 2 nights but we really enjoyed it, especially when we got a surprise by getting upgraded to Villa Sidharta and since we decided to take our children also with us, we requested for an extra bed. Then... another suprise! Instead we got another villa almost for free for our kids. Since we were the only family stayed there during that period, the VB was like belong to us. Sitting occupying the whole open or close joglos.. Or even just sitting on the stairs laid between the villas.

The villas themselves were fantastic! Spacious rooms, with espresso maker in our room, dragon shape shower with tubs for Villa Sidharta, and my children enjoyed showering in open bathroom... cute, they said... As Indonesian, we used to sleep with bolsters, not only pillows. And bolsters were there... yeay!!! The rooms were uniquely and well decorated with
indonesian style furnitures. If anything lack of, we just need slightly more light in the toilet and inside the rooms. Just add in some corners so we could see better when trying to look for things:)

Superb, fabulous view of mountains and Candi Borobudur when we opened our windows and sat on the porch or at open joglo while having our meals and snacks. Seeing the dawn from the top was another stunning view we had never experienced before. Although December was the rainy seasons ans sometimes it was foggy, it was just completing everything. As for me, I could just sit there with the serenity surounding me, completely relaxing after hectic life in Jakarta.

Meals were delicious ( a bit took time to serve but okay), free flow drinks, wow... and most of it was the hospitality of the VB's staffs..On the 2nd evening, we had gamelan played during our dinner time and the director came to say hello to us, then we knew that we were the first Indonesian family who stayed at VB. I wonder how come we missed this heavenly place in our own country.

We could see the swimming pool down there, but unfortunately we didn't have time to try it, but still could imagine swimming there and just enjoying the scenery of Candi Borubudur from the further.

On last morning, we went to Candi Borobudur and Ketep Pass, rain poured and we were late to come back to VB. We were given late check out till 2 pm which we thanked for that. Also we were served another lunch which actually not included. But miss Yana told us, since we also passed last 2 lunches, so lunch on 17th were for free. Thank you again!

Oh, laundry... on 17th morning I asked one of the staff there if it was possible to do the laundry for us since we were going to check out in the afternoon. And abracadabra, before we even left for our morning trip, our laundry had been taken care of and all clean already before we checked out.

What else we could expect? We seldom go for holiday to Magelang area, but if we ever come again, definitely VB is a place for us to stay...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear A-Iswary, Thank you very much for your review and letting other people know about the concept and services of Villa Borobudur. We have passed your compliments on to our staff and we hope we will be able to welcome you again and many of your friends from Jakarta in the near future. It is very wonderful to read that you appreciated the our Javanese service and hospitality concept so much. Salam hangat, Noëlle Haitsma

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Villa Borobudur is a dream come true, and far exceeded our expectations. We were met at the airport and transported efficiently to the hotel where we were warmly welcomed by Ana and the rest of the staff. Our rooms are perfectly beautiful and charmingly furnished with whatever amenities one could need. The walls are intricately carved wood through which dim light cast mesmerizing patterns onto the mosquito netting around my bed at night. The bed itself is a cocoon of comfort, and its ceiling is beautifully carved as well. The choices were wonderful: curl up in the bed or sit on the veranda and take in the view and the sounds of evening? Or swim in the lovely infiinity pool...? Hm....

And the view is spectacular: the Villa is high on the side of the Menoreh Mountains and the valley drops away at your feet. Even on a misty day, the valley floor is a lovely patchwork of dark forest, bright rice fields, and red-roofed villages. Borobudur is visible in the near distance and beyond it mountains rise into the clouds.

We came to celebrate my daughter's birthday, and I had mentioned this to the owner, Noelle, when I called to make reservations. They could not have done more to make it a celebration to remember! Dinner, especially, was amazing. We were shown to a lovely and very spacious villa where the table was beautifully set just for the three of us. A three-man gamelan orchestra was playing quietly as we arrived with our most enthusiastic host, Wayu. We sat down to a perfect appetizer soup and watched the lights glimmer on in the valley spread out below us. Baritone frogs added to the atmosphere created by the gamelan. And then, to our delight and surprise, five beautiful young Javanese dancers appeared to entertain us with their graceful moves. Our main course arrived shortly thereafter: it was beautifully presented, perfectly delicious, and we were told by the lovely young woman who brought it that it is the traditional Javanese birthday dinner, and that her own mother had made it for her when she was a child. Then, to top it all off, she and five other beautiful young women arrived with an elaborately decorated birthday cake that was even personalized with my daughter's name and her age (hint: if you are celebrating with a person of a certain age who does not wish the celebrate that detail, you might ask that they just put the name...). Together they sang happy birthday to her. We were completely delighted, impressed, and grateful to Villa Borobudur for a perfect party.

And I have not even mentioned a lovely lunch on our arrival, beverages delivered to our villa whenever we wanted them, massages in our rooms. Or the charming dragon-shaped shower with ample water, or the beautifully appointed pendopos with comfortable conversation or reading areas. Our early morning visit to Borobudur was lovely, and a short drive around the kampung revealed many other interesting things to do and see.

I can hardly wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Noëlle H, Owner at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Susan, Thank you for your wonderful review and we look very much forward to welcoming you again as it was a pity you could not stay longer with us to enjoy more of the villa and its surroundings. Warm regards, Noëlle Haitsma

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at the Villa Borobudur for 3 nights. I wish I could have stayed longer. I expected a stunning view, but the real experience surpassed all my expectations. You are high up on a hill and with clear weather, you can spend the whole day just taking in the spectacular view of the jungle, rice fields, mountains and the Borobudur. And without the distraction of noise from airconditioning and cars, you can enjoy the real sounds of the jungle. One even gets used to the occasional callings from the mosque. I adored the traditional Javanese buildings, furniture and relics of the Villa. And to sleep in the open air takes you back to the way people used to live in these countries. Every day I was surprised by the diversity of the Indonesian dishes we were served. Delicate tastes, served by the ever so friendly staff. The service was impeccable without the staff being overbearing. After 3 days I was completely rested and rejuvenated to endure the stress of my further travels. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank CarolineKlav
Noëlle H, Owner at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Caroline,
Thank you for your review and it was a pleasure having you stay with us. It would indeed be nice if there was a way to capture the atmosfere and the view in pictures. We will pass your compliments on towards our chefs and the service staff. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Best regards, Noëlle Haitsma

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We visited the UNESCO Buddhist temple Borobudur in Central Java, Indonesia. We stayed at probably the closest hotel to the temple, Villa Borobudur. To say the least, we were not impressed. The rooms are very expensive, so you would expect a certain level of amenities and service. Because the temple is so remote, the hotel includes food. First, the good...the views are wonderful. The facility is up a mountain across front the Temple. The hotel is clean and in the public areas, there are nice couches and chairs. You have open access to a coffee machine and iPod for music. The bedrooms have outside showers and are roomy. However, there is no aircon anywhere on the premises, including your room. There are also no screens on the windows to keep the tropical bugs out of your room - although they do have mosquito nets around the bed. Our first night there, our toilet basically blew up at midnight. We had to chase down a staffer to turn the water off. As for the food, this was very disappointing. Firstly, you have to order when you are eating the meal before the one you need to order. The food was not that good (and there is a lot of good Indonesian food!). Also, the food showed up very tepid. On the positive side, staff was very attentive and had a good attitude. Overall, it would make more sense to travel a little farther and stay at a more established hotel - especially at US$400 a night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BWB1
Noëlle H, Owner at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear BWB1, Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback and would like to respond on your comments. We are happy you experienced our staff as very attentive, the view as wonderful and the facilities as comfortable. Villa Borobudur is not the closest hotel to the Borobudur, as you mention, but is situated at 2,5 km from the Temple up on the slopes of the Menoreh Mountains which gives Villa Borobudur the excellent view, the privacy, as well as a taste of the Javanese flora and fauna. All meals, snacks and non alcoholic beverages are included in the rates as part of the Authentic Java concept and follows the traditions and culture of Javanese hospitality and not because of being too remote to other facilities. The Amanjiwo restaurant, as well as many local restaurants are just a few minutes drive away. Until now, we received only very positive reactions to the natural and environmental friendly set up of the hotel and the rooms, as the traditional joglo-style architecture provides for cool air and ventilation. We regret you did not make our staff aware of the tepid food, they would of course have responded immediately to your concern. We will contact you for further feedback by email. Thank you for staying with us. Best regards, Noëlle Haitsma