“Excellent place to pamper ourselves”

Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Borobudur
Taipei, Taiwan
“Excellent place to pamper ourselves”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We loved the resort, we booked the pool villa, spacious with great privacy, you can sit next the pool site and watch Borobudur temple anytime. The resort got great view, nice swimming pool and beautiful architecture with "Colonial/Javanese" style. All staffs speaks good english, friendly and very helpful. My hubby forgot his necklace in the room the day we check out, the hotel immediately arrange staffs to send it over after we call hotel, it took him 2 hours ride by motorcycle from Borobudur to Yogyakarta, and free of charge. It's the best hotel service so far I experienced.

The SPA is good, hotel tour package is good as well though it will be more expensive if you rent a car + tour guide. But eventually, it will be worth to spend the money as we did feel been pampered all the time from hotel service.

It's a place we will stay again if visit Borobudur again.

Room Tip: If possible, spend one night in Pool Villa, it's really worth to experience.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Iwan S, Director of Sales at Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Kathy C,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that your experience at the Plataran Borobudur has been as invigorating and memorable with the impeccable service as you had anticipated. As for the necklace that was left behind, the staff ensured me that they didn’t mind at all to go the extras mile to make sure to be on time and give you the service you expect. We wish you a safe trip back home and look forward to welcome you again whenever you visit Indonesia another time.

Warm regards
Chief Marketing Officer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed June 11, 2014

3 nights in paddy cabana
Good things:
Location is incredible, nice view of Borobudur temple, nice pool, massage was great though expensive, breakfast was quite good. Cabana was very nice from the outside, as seen on the web page.
Bad things:
Stairs (154 stairs from my room to restaurant, believe me, I counted them several times). Paddy Cabana is nice from the outside as I said before, but the inside is very.... basic (too basic for 142 euros/night). Toilet is just that, a toilet, and shower is just a tap and a hole on the floor (no curtain, no glass), so after you shower expect to be stepping on water every time yo go to the bathroom until room is cleaned the following day (or clean it yourself). I guess pool villas are much better, but paddy cabana are not cheap and definitely do not offer a good price/quality ratio. Expect to pay meals in the restaurant at least 3-4 times more expensive than anywhere else. We did only 2 meals at the restaurant, club sandwich was ok, hamburger was un-edible. I asked for some more fries on my sandwich and they asked me for 65.000 rupia extra (no comment...) Also prices for the tours was incredibly expensive compared to what you can find around Borobudur.
Staff is good and nice, except if you are asking about eating or getting a tour outside the hotel. In that case all you will get is a nice " I don't know sir", so basically you will get nice service if you stay in the hotel premises or use their services, but you will get no help if you try to find those services somewhere else.
There are 2 mosques nearby the hotel, so expect to be awaken every night around 4am by loud prayers, although we found that a quite nice experience and it is a short while to go back to sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ANA M
Iwan S, Director of Sales at Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear ANA M,

Thank you for your review and for staying at our magical and mystical resort at Plataran Borobudur, which has the best sight of, and is located in the closest hill at the edge of the Borobudur temple. We hope that in your next visit you can also experience our luxury exotic villas located at the upper side of our resort with dedicated guest golf carts, in addition to our cabanas which are located on the lower side of the resort and dedicated to guests who wish to enjoy exotic cabana stay with a view of the legendary Menoreh hill and paddy fields, and experience for real the life in the villages surrounding our resort.

Again, we look forward to welcoming you home once again in our resorts with our well-known Indonesian by heart personal service in the near future.

With kind regards,
edinburgh
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Loved the resort. A great combination of 'colonial' style and Javanese style.
The restaurant and bar area is beautiful with great views over to Borobodur. However there is persistently irritating music. Piped in the morning, played by automatic pianola in early evening and followed by live duo later. A bit of fun, yes...but not as accompaniment to a quality meal. Both volume and content need considered.

Next the room. We booked a paddy field cabana. Again the style was lovely. Set in a very large garden. That was great. However it is a cabana...good size if it was for resting during the day... Not big enough as a bedroom. Nowhere to open suitcases properly. Very small shower room. Very poor tv signal. Nowhere really to lay out personal effects. Sink in bedroom, not on shower room. Overall, for the quality, style and price of this hotel....poor.

Food is good. A nice mix of Indonesian and western. But expensive for here. Not necessarily expensive for the quality -presented really well.

Staff were brilliant and exceptionally friendly and helpful.

We also too a guided bike ride. Brilliant. Really got to see the local villages properly, and burn away much needed calories. Really recommend. It is expensive though. Strangely twice the price almost of equivalent jeep tour...guess you are paying for guide's energy use.

Finally it is a good location. But if you have any mobility issues at all...there are a very large number of steps in the resort. We are fit but with the temperature and humidity the steps certainly slowed us down. Thank goodness for the great staff taking our suitcases!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Iwan S, Director of Sales at Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Eddi10c,

We are very thankful to have received your constructive and analytical review. As you have rightly noted that overall, for the sheer quality, style and price of the resort, to create a more fitting balance, certain parts of the operation are to be enhanced or improved with another level of conveniences. We will take very serious note of this including volume and content of the music.
We also thank you for complimenting our staff for their dedicated service as well as for the quality of the food and the ambiance of the Restaurant. We all at Plataran do thank you and hope that you had a safe trip back home. We really look forward to welcome you again whenever you visit Indonesia again.

Gracefully and Gratefully Yours
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We did the hop across from Bali to Yogyakarta to see Borobodur. I knew it would be hot and humid so comfort was very important to us on a romantic break.

I booked a top of the line Grand Pool Villa. They only have two of those so I made sure I did my research and got the quiet one. It was massive with it's own infinity edge plunge pool. You have absolute privacy as no other unit or villa could see your yard area.

You are literally perched amongst the jungle and our bathroom had a bonus lizard about 8 inches long, which gave us a fright the first time he popped out from behind the mirror.

This place is all quality. The staff are very good and helpful. The restaurant was also top quality and I tried most of the local dishes. The hotel will help organise car transfers to/from the airport or the sunrise tour, although I suggest you arrange those yourself to save a stack. We used Weidy Antara at Borobodur Tour & Travel.

If you go to Borobodur, this is absolutely the place to stay.

Room Tip: The Grand Pool Villa facing the valley away from Borobodur has absolute privacy
1 Thank 1800hammer
Dear 1800hammer,

We are happy hear that your romantic break has been so exciting and that The Plataran Borobudur has given such a great time. Our entire staff wish you a safe return home to Bali and hope to welcome you again whenever you visit Plataran Borobudur next time or any other Plataran resort like Plataran Ubud or Plataran Komodo with the famous Phinisi Vessels.

Gracefully Yours,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed in a villa with a small, private infinity pool - it was such a treat - we were glad to have enough spare time there to enjoy it. We could see Borabadour from the terrace. The whole property is high quality. The main pool area is lovely too. The food in the restaurant is very good, both for breakfast and evening meal, although can be a bit pricey, as it's great food but the emphasis is on exquisite taste rather than quantity!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a pool villa if you can - lovely to cool down after temple-touring.
Dear Ann M,

We thank you for your praising words about the Plataran Borobudur Resort and its facilities as well as its foods and services. We wish you a safe and pleasant continuation of your tour and we hope to welcome you back when you are revisiting this country.

With best regards,
London
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Wow! There was a view of Borobudur from our villa (no 203) and, having expected a plunge pool, we were agreeably surprised that we really could have a proper swim in our pool which was set in a lovely private garden. Our bedroom and bathroom were both very spacious and comfortable and with good amenities. Food in the restaurant was comparatively expensive but of a high quality and very well presented. We enjoyed the welcome fruit platter, the pralines each evening and tea and cake in the afternoons. Our only disappointment was the very poor breakfast box which was supplied for our early morning visit to Borobudur - a huge contrast to the quality of the other restaurant food. In fact as breakfast is served until 10.30 it would be better to forgo the breakfast box and return to the hotel for the real thing. And, yes, as others have remarked, the eggs benedict were absolutely delicious.
Generally the service was excellent except that we were surprised that at a hotel of this calibre our requests at reception to buy stamps and to break a 100,000 rupiah note into something smaller met with a negative response.
We could have visited Borobudur from our hotel in Yogyakarta but were delighted that our travel company arranged a 2-day stay here instead.

Room Tip: Our pool villa was wonderful!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Iwan S, Director of Sales at Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear JInty27,

Thank you so much for your raving as well as constructive response. We are very grateful for your idea to have improve the breakfast boxes, this will give indeed a much better balance of quality in comparison with the excellence of the restaurant. We have taken serious note of this. Also your remarks about your encounter when paying with a bigger nomination for some stamps that was not being felt as not being very happy, should not be part of the equation. A one more thanks, wishing you a safe trip back home and hope that we will be able to welcome you again when you visit us another time.

Iwan Sitompul,
München, Deutschland
Reviewed June 3, 2014

From the moment I checked into the Plataran Borobudur Resort in Java, Indonesia, I felt like I was in paradise on earth! Checking in was a warm and welcome procedure where I was given a 10 minute shoulder massage on the veranda of the lobby before I was shown my "Paddy Cabana" - a stand alone wooden cabana in the middle of a lush garden. I loved everything, despite the rustic look and feel! A comfortable bed, enough space for storage, plenty of amenities in the bathroom and minibar all set in a quiet and natural setting. Mind you, the frogs and birds make some soothing sounds and the nearby call for prayer was also kind of meditative for my stay.

The food is wonderful and the executive chef Iqbal Batubara has been creating the most wonderful tasting dishes for me. It is also worthwhile to mention that the restaurant itself was a nice place to cool down and have a nice glass from a great selection of wines and other drinks, and it all came with great service, friendly staff and to my surprise with a perfectly German-speaking waiter! But also all the English-speaking waiters and waitresses were great. At all meals of the day and specially at breakfast I was given options, which I could not even think of myself. No boring buffet which was standing there for hours, but freshly prepared and very tasty food.

In my own ranking system the Plataran Borobudur Resort excelled in everything:

Safety box in the room and adequate size 5 of 5
Bathroom functionality 5 of 5
Room design and functionality 5 of 5
Sounds 5 of 5

Location - Borobudur temple during Vesak Holiday! I had been staying at the only hotel on the temple grounds before, and had checked out early because I did not like the room. I have also had dinner at the nearby luxury hotel, where Richard Gere and others stay, but the view from the Plataran for sunrise and daytime views of the temple is superior!

The WiFi connection, to my full surprise, worked flawlessly even at the furthest corner of the resort. I even used it in the shaded seating area next to the rice field on the bottom of my cabana!

Sounds - Though it was a wooden cabana in the middle of nature and not too far away from prayer halls, I enjoyed heavenly sleeps during my week at the resort.

Service - The staff of the hotel will try to fulfill all your requests and wishes. They even went out of their way to get me medicine I needed from a town some distance away and offered late night and early morning driving services to the temple during Vesak Day ceremonies.

All in all it was a week of being pampered and spoiled by friendly people, many of whom I have become friends with. It is definitely a place I will go back to again.

Room Tip: There are various types of villas and "cabanas", some feature their own pool and lots of r...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Asian_Wanderer888
PlataranBorobudur, Director of Sales at Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Asian_Wanderer888,

Thank you for your passionate review. We feel honored and grateful to receive such positive comments for your week long stay from a seasoned traveler like you. We feel it also as an affirmation of our hospitality concept of exotic, high quality facilities and a caring graceful service. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed so much the culinary creations along with a good choice of paring wines from our Chef Iqbal, who send you his thanks and best regards. Our entire staff is wholeheartedly joining him with their best wishes and hoping to be able to welcome you back at the Plataran Borobudur or any other Plataran resort throughout Indonesia whenever you decide to revisit our country again.

Gracefully Yours
Plataran Hotels & Resorts Indonesia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borobudur
Plataran Heritage Borobudur Hotel
MesaStila Resort and Spa
#5 of 22 in Magelang
The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection
Hyatt Regency Yogyakarta

Been to Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!