“Tranquil experience, and warm hospitality”
Review of Rumah Dharma

and 1 more site!
Rumah Dharma
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Having read other reviews, I have a lot of expectations for my stay at Rumah Dharma, and I was not disappointed. Upon arrival, Medi, the owner, makes you feel at home with a refreshing ginger drink. Set unobtrusively in the village with the paddy fields just at its doorstep, the villas are compact and tastefully done with Zen-inspired interiors. Time was well spent sitting in the central pavilion and sipping tea, while watching villagers pass by with their produce or children off to play with the untouched forests and majestic mountains as backdrop. Tours organised by Rumah Dharma also gave me a chance to see local life beyond Borobodur on bicycles. All in all, staying at Rumah Dharma is more of a comfortable homestay, rather than staying in a impersonal hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 17, 2013

i booked 4 rooms direct to Medi (he claims as the owner) via whatsap mssgr. I had to plan my trip very well because i should be responsible for my 7 family members, therefore i booked the rooms 1.5 months prior my departure. He said the 4 rooms are available and OK to block for my reservation. 2 weeks prior my departure, i get suspicious since he never ask for any DP or whatever so i send him w.a to reconfirm my departure, he said only 1 room available and blame me for never re-confirm my booking.
how come a lousy businessman blame the guests when i sent him many w.a messages to get him assurance that im interested in the rooms??????!!!!!
i was so anxious that the same experience as what 1/2 guests commented Medi is kinda person who cant commit, cancel someone's booking because Medi family (husband& wife) issue but i thought since the husband & wife bond is over now, the issue is not longer there. Then i found out, it's more to personal commitment as a businessman than husband&wife thing.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Feens H
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This guesthouse was recommended to us by friends and we are so glad we stayed here!
Rumah Dharma is just a few minutes from the Borobudur and you can actually see the temple in the rice fields right on front of the propertie (on the bridge).

There are bikes that you can use and one of the staffmembers biked us to the Borobudur at 5:50 in the morning so we could enter at 6:00 am. Really a great way to get there!

In the afternoon we used the bikes ourselves and just went out into the villages along the mountains. That was one of the most authentic and amazing experiences we had in Indonesia. We were greeted everywhere and you could tell that, although Borobudur attracts millions of visitors, most people don't bother going a bit further than the temple.
When we stopped along the road, soaked in sweat (because yeah...it's HOT there!) we were even invited over by an old man to come drink tea in his house. He did not speak a word of English but gestured towards a house on a hill and took us there. There his family came running with all kinds of snacks for us and tea. It was SO nice!

We went out biking by ourselves (which is easy if you just go out left from Rumah Dharma, then right at the T-section and then continue to follow the road all the way straight on. You will even pass Borobudur on its backside). Rumah Dharma offers guided tours as well though for those who don't feel comfortable on their own. We just went and figured: if we get lost, probably everybody can point us in the right direction of we just say "Borobudur" :)

The food was also amazing! Very well prepared and an amazing amount of it! They also prepared a snack for us when we were hungry in the afternoon, and did not even charge us for that. So nice!

Medi and his staff are wonderful people and make you feel very welcome and at home!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank americagirl22
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Totally comfortable and welcoming, rooms were large and more than adequate. Intended to stay for just two nights but in the end stayed for three instead. The owner Medi, Ika our guide and Ritni the cook and housekeeper made our stay very memorable and enjoyable. Ika was thoughtful and we appreciated his sense of responsibility and level of care when showing us the sights or giving us tips on what to do while in Yogyakarta. It was the perfect place to chill out and is such a world away from chaotic, noisy and dusty Yogyakarta.

Would thoroughly recommend a sunrise tour on bicycles where you will see the sun rise from Punthuk Setumbi Hill. You cycle through a nearby village in crisp cool clear air at 4:30am and will come across the faithful on their way to or from prayers at the local mosque. The highlight of our tour was our visit to the tofu 'factory'. We were delighted to have hot soya milk fresh from the vat they were cooking the beans in. In no time were we hurried along even though we stayed for longer than intended as we wanted to see the whole process. Later in the day, Ika took us on another cycling tour to see two other temples before we cycled to Borobudur. Cycling back to Rumah Dharma after took about 15 minutes. It wasn't far.

Our delicious Javanese dinners on all three nights were filling and generous. We informed the staff earlier in the day that we would like dinner that evening and we ate what was served. Perfect! Didn't have to think about it. Watch the sambal - oooo! Hot!

Borobudur is not that close to Yogyakarta. It is about an hour to an hour and a half by car. I think most people base themselves in Yogyakarta and drive out to Borobudur. We are glad we did it the other way round and stayed at Borobudur and spent the day in Yogyakarta. We were glad to leave Jogja to head back to Rumah Dharma as we were keen to return to peace and quiet again after a day in the city.

All in all, a really good trip. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marie S
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Without exaggeration, the 4 Rumah Dharma cottages (for 2 persons each) are probably the closest thing to paradise you will find in Central Java!

They are serenely located in the middle of the rice fields and only 300 metres from the Borobudur temple complex. The cottages are homely and beautifully decorated, but also shipshape when it comes to hygiene!

The owner, cooks and helpers are the perfect hosts and make your stay as perfect as you want it: they are happy to suggest and organise for you several interesting local activities or will pamper you when you simply need to relax (mind you, there is no swimming pool, nor the need for one!).

The homemade Javanese food is simply delightful and you will surely enjoy both the elaborate meals as the wonderful snacks (my favourite: the green coconut 'balls').

It is perfect for romantic couples or a small group of friends who want to see the Javanese couleur locale. Sit back, relax and enjoy this little paradise!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank donMalvolio
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Rumah Dharma is one of the great surprises I've had on my travels. The owner, Medi, spent two years building the four guest rooms. He has no intention to expand as he understands the value of offering his guests a very personal and friendly environment.

Medi has made great efforts to ensure that the surrounding villages benefit from his business. The bicycle tours that he offers from Rhumah Dharma are brilliant. Aside from taking in a sunrise from the hills, we visited a tofu "factory" in a nearby village and a pottery business in another where we had a chance to work the potter's wheel ourselves. After leaving the hilltop sunrise viewing point we did not see another tourist during the remaining four hours of our ride.

You can also borrow the bicycles and explore on your own. Again, not another tourist in sight!

The food at Rumah Dharma is great. Medi tells his staff to make traditional food, but leaves the menu to them. The only instruction he gives them is not to prepare the same meal on two consecutive days.

Rumah Dharma has only been around for a few years and runs at 80% occupancy or better for most of the year. Book we'll in advance. It's worth it!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarkBalla
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Was traveling by myself as a 29 y/o female from the U.S. en route to other sites in Asia and I wanted to stop in Borobudur, and I also needed a little bit of a rest after traveling so far, so I decided to stay at Rumah Dharma based on the TripAdvisor reviews.

The property is beautiful and well maintained. Each guest reservation comes with its own hut/bungalow that is super chill and nice. The prayers from the mosque can be heard as early as 4:30am, but not for too long and I think it is kind of cool in a way, just sounds like soft singing for a few minutes and is part of the cultural experience when you visit a new place.

I was traveling alone and ended up spending some with the staff, who are all hardworking, kind and fun. Medi the owner was cool, and I thought Henjke did a great job as one of the staff managers and was very professional. Agung is the bike guide and I had a blast riding around with him to see the Mendut temple and monastery along with Borobudur and he was personable and fun (PS not sure that its worth paying the Manohara Hotel extra to go at sunrise-was cloudy when I went, though still very cool).

I will say that I wish some of the guests took a little more time to chat with the staff but when I was there the other guests (who almost all said they wished they'd made plans to stay for more than just one night) kinda kept to themselves-for me, it was neat to just chat with the staff and learn about their lives and their community, I found Javanese people to be more friendly than Balinese people.

I will say that Borobudur is kind of a small town compared to Yogyakarta, but there are still small restaurants and stores all around...if you want to ditch the TV and just breathe the fresh air and be in the rice paddies and riding push bikes and seeing the countryside and enoy living life, this is the place for you. It is a gorgeous place both the homestay and the area and beyond that, everyone who works there is top notch.

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borobudur
Hotel Manohara Borobudur
#5 of 11 in Borobudur
Villa Borobudur Resort
Villa Borobudur Resort
#3 of 11 in Borobudur

Been to Rumah Dharma? Share your experiences!