“Weidy Antara and Borobudur Tours is the group to work with!”

Borobudur Tours & Travel
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Borobudur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A unique team with spirit of native wisdom, presents integrated sustainable tour and travel activities toward human relationship, enhancing local people quality of life and care of the environment. Our gain is to preserve culture and spontaneous activities that offer unique experiences. Our team is young energetic of locals, well trained and years of experience in tourism business. Our service covers airport transfers, comfortable air conditioned transportation and tailored package design. Group price and MICE services available on request.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We dive in different parts of Indonesia every year, usually taking a land-based side-trip for local experiences. Interest in the Yogyakarta-Borobudur-Solo cultural area of Java led me to this Borobudur website as a possibility for travel information and coordination of in-country logistics. The response was immediate, efficient and helpful -- and remained so throughout our correspondence. They were flexible in allowing us to customize our activities and lodging and to determine the pace of touring. They suggested places to stay based on our interests and budget, but if we wanted to book those places on line, we were free to do it. (I would suggest letting them handle it since they know most everyone and are on site to facilitate as needed.) The local guides are personable and very willing to share conversation and eating experiences. Weidy Antara, in particular, is well-read and has many interests. He offered substantial background information on the relationships of history, culture, political views and religion, particularly in Java. He is active in his community as well as with the interpretation of the Borobudur site. We felt that the prices were very reasonable for such an enjoyable, 5-day dawn-to-dusk trip. This young company will grow!

5  Thank ecodiver50
"travel agent"
"his knowledge"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I had spent a month in Bali and was nearing the end of my time there. I did a trip to northwest Bali for some great snorkeling and no crowds. I figured I was so close to Jave (30 minutes by ferry) that I would take a side trip to Borobudur Temple, a place I have wanted to visit. And why not climb a few volcanos while in the area?

Well, it was not so easy for this independent traveler. It was next to impossible to get bus information either in person or through the internet. Deciding I needed professional help, I found Weidy of Borobudur tours. This was really last minute! I emailed asking if it was even possible to do this in my time frame and get in Mt Bromo and a climb up Igen as well. He quickly responded that it was possible and suggested a great itinerary starting with a pickup from the Java side of the ferry. I left Gillimanuk the following morning for the crossing.

There were some problems. Mainly the ferry had not run the previous night due to some unusually high tides and his regular driver could not make it. He subcontracted to a local driver he knew for the first 2 of 5 days. He kept me informed both by email and cell as things developed.

There were problems with the new driver and his vehicle smelled of gasoline which made this normally hardy traveler rather sick in the stomach. I have been traveling almost constantly the last two years and it is not about never having problems but how you address them.

Weidy kept on top of everything as I bumped (bad shocks too) my way to Solo where I spent the night in a nice hotel and got a massage, both of which improved my attitude. The following morning, his regular driver John picked me up and the next three days were fantastic.

We toured all the main attractions in Solo and Yogyakarta. When I requested a visit to the Affande Museum, it was quickly incorporated into the itinerary. John and Weidy are both bilingual, knowledgable and articulate. John provided great commentary and back story on the many places we visited. I told him I liked homestays and locally owned hotels and that's where I stayed each night.

Borobudur was definitely the highlight. I requested staying at Lotus II because I had read about their efforts in the community to help locally owned businesses. It turned out the owner was a personal friend of both John and Weidy and in fact the three had attended university together many years before.

John took me to wonderful local and inexpensive places to eat. Had rabbit sate for lunch which was yummy and the last night he and his wife took me out for a traditional crispy duck dinner.

All in all, this adventure turned out great. If for some reason you get an outside driver (unexpected events can happen when you travel abroad) insist on a good car. The substitution is my only reason for four instead of five stars. It is a great company and they do a lot to help the local community as well.

3  Thank RedwoodResident
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I took a tour with Borobudur Tours in March. I did not have a lot of time and wanted to see as much as possible. Wiedy was quick to reply to my e-mails, advised if my suggested itinerary was possible, organized a car a driver, as well as helped with accomodations. It was very easy to deal with him (his English is good). I recommend Wiedy as your tour guide due to his knowledge of the area, as well as his personable nature. Also, he has tried to help more locals tap into tourism as a source of revenue (he grew up in Borobudur).

On the tour, he will try to ensure your comfort, giving you the option of eating as locals do vs. tourist restaurants for example. You can trust him to confirm your hotel reservations, he will not rip you off on prices. If you can find a hotel cheaper, he has no issues with you reserving it yourself.

Central Java is worth a visit and travelling with Wiedy and Borobudur Tours and Travel will make it more rewarding.

For my short trip, I wanted to see the main sights of central Java: Borobudur Temple, Yogyakarta City, Prambanan Temple, Mt Bromo, and the countryside. I flew into Surabaya in the morning and went to Mt Bromo for sunset. Most people get up early for the sunrise, but if you go at sunset you will most likely be the only person at the overlook (there could be hundreds around you for sunrise).
It is an all day drive from Mt Bromo to Solo the following day. There is nothing much to see on the way -- make sure you request a comfortable vehicle for this drive. Wiedy can make sure you have a spacious SUV. Along the way, you will have good conversation with Wiedy and he will tell you about the history of Indonesia.
I wanted to visit the former Losari Coffee Plantation -- now called MesaStila resort. This would be a lovely place to stay though it is not cheap. If you don't stay there, it is a nice drive through remote countryside in the shadows of Mt Merapi to go there for lunch. Then you can continue on to Borobudur Temple for the afternoon/sunset.
I would recommend staying at the Plataran Hotel near Borobudur; you will have a beautiful view for sunrise in the morning -- looking right out at the Temple with Mt Merapi in the distance behind it.
You can then visit Yogyakarta City and Prambanan Temple before catching a flight to your next destination.

12  Thank CG007_1
Reviewed April 7, 2012

In September 2011 we spent three weeks on Sumatra, Java and Bali. We planned and travelled through Sumatra and Bali on our own, but for Java we decided to look for some professional assistence to organize our trip there.
I had read a lot of positive comments about Borobudur Tours and Travel, therefore I got in contact with them. Wiedy helped us planning the tour. We just had to tell him what we were interested in, where we wanted to go, what to see, how the stay, how to get from one sight to another and so on. He organized everything for us (the car, the driver, the guides), he made the reservations (accomodation) and gave us millions of excellent tips and answered all our plentiful questions in detail and promptly. He provided invaluable help and worked very professional.
Borobudur Tours and Travel - highly recommended !!!

3  Thank Gullatire