“Good place”

Saraswati Borobudur
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Borobudur
Reviewed May 20, 2010

This hotel is really excellent though if you are in Borobudur you should consider staying in Manohara Hotel as this place has the direct access to the temple and cheaper entry fees for its guests when you plan to see the temple during the sunrise and sunset (they organize this trips only). The other hotel also seems to be very good.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 16, 2010

I would agree with most of the other comments written here. On the plus side, the hotel is clean, pleasant, and quiet. Check in was smooth enough and the staff were friendly and polite. It was also nice to have free access to the internet and printer via the business centre. I am fairly particular about bed sheets and when we first arrived there was the slightest hint of a small, old stain on the sheets, but when I pointed this out they were quickly changed and the new sheets were fine. The bed is a bit firmer than in some hotels, but my wife and I slept well on it. The location is very convenient for a visit to Borobudur and I concur with those who recommend an early morning visit. We went twice - first around mid-day and then again at 6:00am and we did find the early morning more pleasant on several counts. Not only is it cooler and there are fewer tourists, but there is lots of shade so one can take ones time viewing the ruins. The early morning light also shows off the carvings on the walls to better effect than at mid-day. The down side of staying at this particular hotel is that there really is not much to do other than see Borobudur. This would have been less of a problem if the weather had been better, but it rained quite heavily while we were there in the evenings and we quickly ran out of things to do. The boredom was made worse by the fact that all the channels on tv were in Indonesian and that we were told it was quite impossible to go out after 5:00 because they were no taxis in town. This, it turned out, was not true at all since not three blocks away from the hotel was a rental place called "Jamu Mas" that is open 24/7 and was happy to provide a car and driver for short periods and on short notice (0293-788602). How could the hotel staff not know this - especially when such a lack of transportation is potentially a major problem for their guests? There were other things about the hotel that were a bit weird - like not having any maps of the surrounding area. The food at the hotel was quite passable, especially given the alternatives, but pricey and the breakfast is purely a la carte (no buffet). You should also be aware that if you misplace your plastic electronic room key (as we did), you will be charged an outrageous sum for its replacement (as we were). In the final analysis, I suspect that this is the best, most comfortable accommodations in Borobudur proper (short of paying an arm and a leg at Amanjiwo), but unless you are really looking for peace and quiet you should stick to one of the hotels in Yogyakarta for any stay longer than one night.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Feyria
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Definitively a good place: a large strongly built mansion in a tropical garden, mosaic pool with funny fountains, good service, nice gazebo where you can enjoy a refreshing and hard massage given by a very strong old lady. The ceilings must be 4 meters high, and the bathroom is equipped with a gigantic mirror. It is just a few meters from the park parking entrance (and then a long way walking to the temple itself, which you can avoid if you wish to pay more for the “VIP entrance”).
The only weak point is the restaurant, very expensive for the quality of the food…. Well, I had only a java chicken curry a bit disappointing. But if you wish to pay a high price (for local standards) for eating in a restaurant looking like Versailles, with furniture and seats in Louis XV style, it is a funny experience. Me, I preferred to sample street food which was not bad and did not make me sick. Beware that the city lacks any tourist entertainment, bars or restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JeanLouisV
Reviewed March 21, 2010

As you are only a 5 minute walk from the Borobudur Temple and considering there is little else in the town - this is a perfect place to base yourself for a visit to this historic sight. Look beyond the slightly ostentatious furniture in the Lobby and it is a nicely laid out and designed hotel. Rooms are a good size and nice decor and the bathrooms are smart marble (only real criticism is the poor amenities - so make sure you bring your own). The staff are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. There is a nice pool area, with a small, adjoining outdoor spa treatment area - but don't expect to get lots of sun, as there are a lot of trees surrounding it. The only let down, is the restaurant - where the food offering was pretty standard. Considering the price of the only other luxury hotel option in the area (Amanjiwo) and as you only need to be in the area for one night - I would definitely go here for the accommodation and then treat yourself to the spectacular sunset view and have dinner at the Aman.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Globaladventure
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I visited Borobudur for a weekend during a long business trip, and wanted a place to relax, yet at the same time to find somewhere that I could get away from the business world and immerse myself in the Indonesian culture. The Saraswati Borobudur was the perfect tonic. It's located just a couple of minutes walk from the main gate, yet maintains a beautiful seclusion within its walls. This boutique hotel is a real step back in time, yet at the same time it is well appointed and very stylish. And the restaurant dining was very good indeed. But the highlight of my stay was the gracious manager, Bambang, who did everything possible to make my stay a pleasant one, including ordering me a birthday cake for my 49th (oops) birthday. I would have no hesitation recommending this place to anyone, whether they are lone travelers, a couple, or a family.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank OilRover
Reviewed January 7, 2010

This is a boutique hotel with all the basic facilities such as swimming pool and free internet. The rooms and hotel are kept clean and all the staff very friendly and helpful.
The hotel has a cosy feel and is quiet. The main advantage staying at Saraswati is the location as it is only 5 minutes walk to the Borobudor complex. This makes it easy especially for Sunrise visits to Borobudor which usually starts from 4.30am.

As the hotel charges quite a lot for transportation, it is more cost effective to take a short walk to Borobudor. Sunrise tours of Borobudor can only be purchased through another hotel (Manohara Hotel) nearby which is about 10 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2009

We stayed just one night at Saraswati in order to see Borobodur in the evening and dawn light, as it is so close to the temple. We were travelling with our preschool and toddler boys. Unfortunately, I had badly sprained my ankle and damaged (perhaps broken) my foot that day at Prambanan temple and arrived in serious discomfort.

The staff could not have done more for our family. Assisting me inside to the opulent waiting room, the manager had us settled with welcome drinks, warmly welcomed us, then immediately gave me an anti-inflammatory cream and somehow produced a wheelchair and crutches for me. The staff were utterly charming with my children, and very helpful to me in assisting me with the younger one when my partner went to see Borobodur with the elder child.

The hotel is a unexpectedly lavish for central Java, with 18 foot ceilings, opulent European style furnishings, enormous rooms, elegant colonnaded walkways and a dramatic and beautiful pool setting.

Breakfast was nothing special, but very plentiful, and dinner was really wonderful. We ordered quite different dishes, western and Indonesian, and it was all fabulous.

We were there in low season, and seemed to be the hotel's only guests at the time, so perhaps this is why we received such excellent service. But if you're thinking of going in the low season, do! We had brilliant weather and nowhere we went was crowded.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank h0lidaymama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borobudur
Hotel Manohara Borobudur
Plataran Heritage Borobudur Hotel
Villa Sumbing Indah
Villa Sumbing Indah
#5 of 11 in Borobudur

Been to Saraswati Borobudur? Share your experiences!