“Tastefully Done Place!”

Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Kumbakonam
Bangalore
“Tastefully Done Place!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

From 'agreeing to book the hotel over a call without any advance' to 'the help offered to send in a person to guide us to the hotel', the stay at this place was perfect.

The standard room was huge and spacious. Clean and very colorfully done interiors. The lighting was a bit dull but was perfect for an overnight stay.

Considering the pathetic hotels around this part of TamilNadu, this is an absolutely wonderful place to spend your time. We really did not want to step out of the hotel, but for our packed schedule, I had to move out sooner than I wanted to.

The attention to detail, super quick room service and the interest shown to help in every aspect, this hotel is a MUST stay if you visit anywhere close to Kumbakonam.

Only regret was the food, (the dinner was good, but the complain is mainly on the breakfast). The breakfast was cold and even after repeated asks for getting hot breakfast they served cold Idly's and cold pongal. There are no great eating places around in Kumbakonam anyway, and this was the only choice we had. A few tablets had to be taken for us to get back to normal after the breakfast. But this would still not put me off to visit this hotel again for the amazing sleep quality!

Room Tip: Skip the breakfast here. Especially if there are not many people staying in the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank indfo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Myself and my husband were on driving tour in South India after 15 years of being in the US. Due to the 'Neelam' cyclone I was advised by my brother to drop Chidambaram and stay in Kumbakonam. I mentioned that i had not researched for my stay in Kumbakonam, he looked up on Trip Advisor and suggested Sara Regency and gave me the phone number.

I called the hotel and they were very responsive in giving the directions and making the booking.

On arrival I was absolutely thrilled with the ambience and curteous staff and the room. We stayed just for the night but had a very pleasant expearince. The room was very spacious and clean. Bathroom was very nice with good fixtures and hot water. Beds were clean. We always carry our own 'All Out' so no mosquitoes.

We went to the restaurant for dinner. We being non-veg my husband asked the steward to suggest some good dishes. He suggested Chicken 65, Butter Nan, fried rice and mutton curry. One of the best meals we had on our trip. Food was excellent. The waiter Lenin was very sweet and for some reason impressed that we are from America, very simple and genuine folks, no extending hands for tips like I have seen in other places.

Next morning Breakfast was good, we were getting tired of eating Idli's and vada's seeing that the waiter enquired if we wanted Puris, they served us steaming puris with alloo curry in record 5 minutes.

Checkout was very smooth and since I was not caryying my latptop the front desk allowed me to use their desktop for our next desitnation hotels. After leaving the hotels I could call back and request them to look up a number for a hotel in Kanchipuram which they did without any hazzle. Very nice service.

I am not sure when I will ever go back to Kumbakonam but this hotel will always be remembered and I would rate it as one of the best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lavanya Y
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We (a family of 5 plus a baby) were on a one day trip to Vaitheeshwaran Koil (VK). Due to last minute decisions, we could not find any of the popular hotel in VK, nor nearby Mayiladuthurai, Sirkazhi or Chidambaram. So, we decided to stay in Kumabakonam (about 50 kms from VK). Thanks to Trip Advisor's contributors, I zeroed in on this hotel (Sara Regency).

In a small town like Kumabakonam, we were greatly surprised to see such a posh looking hotel. I can defintely say that the standards maintained here are almost at par with the ones you get to see abroad. The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming. On unique facility is, even for the drivers they provide an air-conditioned room with food. For the price, the rooms are definitelty worth it. The free wi-fi also works very well.

The food was OK-ish. For dinner, you find only north indian food, no south indian. I just felt that the restaurant here was a bit expensive, than what I would have thought i would see in a place like Kumbakonam.

Overall, one of the best hotels you can stay in these parts.

3 Thank msastri
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We went through the reviews from google and tripadvisor from people who have been to this so called three star hotel at Kumbakonam. It was ok on first sight in pictures, the deluxe room was spacious, however the room keeping doesnt believe in keeping the floor tidy, I think, because there was always dust in the floor even when they said they had cleaned the floor. Please dont put any of your clothes for laundry, as they would come back exactly in the same condiiton, but just ironed just to fool you as the dirty clothes will be in exactly the same condition even after dry cleaning!!! Then they tell you that this is because they dont do washing in the hotel but do it outside and they quickly disown the responsibility even though they charge you like city star hotels. Restaurant is pretty ordinary like a mess not like a star hotel, we ended up buying food from outside during our stay as that was better than hotel food. This hotel is much interior in Tamilnadu, but for dinner there is only North Indian foods available which are made terrible that you cant even eat them properly. Myself having born in S. India and then lived in N. India for studies I can relate both foods, and this hotel should just be serving either both or only South Indian food as their North Indian special dishes are terrible. The only thing is its a 24 hr check out, which is probably every other hotels in this town offers anyway. Overall, we took two rooms for my family and my parents to stay and we having travelled from Australia solely for the purpose of temple visits, and also having stayed in many other cities and countries we were shocked to see the rip off with no real genuine service. Bottom line is this is a simple lodge not a star hotel.

2 Thank senthilrengasamy77
sararegency, Public Relations Manager at Sara Regency, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to review Sara Regency, Kumbakonam.

We understand that you have had an unpleasant stay at Sara Regency, Kumbakonam. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that had been caused during your stay.

We take pride in everything we do and we strive to ensure that our premise is spick and span all the time. However, this could have been a one-time incident of an oversight by our housekeeping staff. We have reprimanded them and we will ensure that our rooms are kept clean and dust-free at all times to better facilitate our customers.

We regret to inform that we do not provide in-house laundry service. Thus, your clothes were sent to the best laundry service available within the Kumbakonam vicinity. That explains the laundry charges that were imposed. We have taken note of your feedback and we will be sure to inform the laundrette and ensure that it does not occur again. We will also look into providing in-house laundry service in the future to cater to the needs of our customers.

We are apologetic that the food at the restaurant was not up to your standard. We have informed our chefs to enhance the taste of the food. Our restaurant offers both North Indian & South Indian food for dinner at the moment. We are also considering to provide more South Indian dishes for dinner and this may be implemented in the near future.

We are a certified 3-star hotel by the government and we are ranked number 30th out of 777 top hotels in Tamil Nadu. All this would not have been possible without our service personals and our level of service. Nevertheless, we will strive to meet the service standards of all our customers.

Once again, we would like to thank you for reviewing Sara Regency and we hope that you would have a better experience with us in the near future.
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nice Hotel and good service.
Good space for car parking...
service is also good.
Food is average and comfortable place to stay with family.
AC , TV , Generator facility is good.
Food varities needs to be improved for next level.
Front desk and manger person is really supportive and helpful

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank RAKChennai
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We chose this hotel based on the reviews here and werent disappointed in the least.
The gentleman at the reception offered to show us the rooms available before we checked in. There are 2 types of double deluxe rooms, and we liked the 2nd type. The room has a separate sitting area with a nice divan, individual set-top box, effective air conditioning, nice bed and neat wash area.
But what I loved of the room quality was the view from the huge windows. We were on the 3rd floor and we could see the sunrise which was magnificent.
The complimentary breakfast was quite good, the first day of our stay though, we were offered a-la-carte as there were few guests at the hotel and a buffet spread would be a waste (quite a good thought)
The 2nd and 3rd days more guests checked in so we got to sample the buffet as well.
Staff is helpful. housekeeping is prompt as is the room service. Restaurant is neat and clean, food is tasty as well.
They are open to feedback, which is a very good asset for them.

3 Thank laksmi21
London
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was quite pleased with Sara Regency.Very clean and neat ambiance. The staff were helpful. The room size was adequate. The bathroom was clean and spacious. Very modern decor. Free wifi was an added bonus. Food could have been better. I wouldnt say the food was bad, but not the best. I should thank the room service for making sure my little one had non-spicy food. Over all the experience was good.
Located in the chennai road by pass, was convenient for us to go around Kumbakonam and not having to enter the city each time.

4 Thank Aarthy