“The Gem in Kumbakonam”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Kumbakonam
Bangalore
“The Gem in Kumbakonam”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Kumbakonam is a place best known for the hundreds of ancient temples dotted in and all around it. But when it comes to accommodation or food, Kumbakonam is definitely not a place that can pamper you like the hotels in a good vacation spot. But after my recent five nights stay at the Mantra Veppathur, I’m forced to eat my own words with a happy smile!

Mantra is everything you could desire from a dream destination, anywhere in the world. And more! A winding untamed natural path leads to the resort, and leaves you in the lap of luxury where every whim and fancy of yours is catered to with courteous smiles.

The welcome to Mantra Veppathur was warm and personal, and after a tour of the resort and its amenities by the General Manager, Nagaraj, we stepped into a perfect cottage that took us back in time.

Room service isn’t provided at the hotel, which I found rather atypical on the first day of my stay. But now that I look back at our stay, all the hours we spent sitting in the panoramic restaurant, talking to the staff and the other guests added to the experience of staying in this beautiful escape.

About the restaurant, well, it was a delicious indulgence of gastronomic proportions! On several instances, several courses were specially prepared for us to match our preferences, and for the first time in our stays at Kumbakonam over the years, we didn’t have to rely on canned food or noodles while driving around to different temples. We were so well fed at Mantra that the whole experience felt more like a lazy vacation than a temple trip for the two of us.

One of the things we enjoyed most about Mantra was the evenings. Every evening, there was a different cultural show for the guests, be it bharata natyam, a violin performance or another cultural performance. And after a long day visiting temples, it was a welcome break to sit down with a cup of coffee and watch a performance with the other guests in the garden.

The staff at Mantra was truly wonderful and exceptionally courteous. Nagaraj, the general manager was the kind of host anyone would love to have. He was attentive to our needs and always went way out of the way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. Rajesh, the manager of the resort, too was extremely helpful and took the time to help us while planning visits to different temples, and was always around to ensure that every moment at the resort was a wonderful experience.

In the restaurant too, the staff were just unimaginably hospitable. The food was great, the staff was friendly, especially Muthu, who added to the charm of the restaurant with his conversations. But that wasn’t enough for these guys at the Mantra Vepattur! One evening, the chefs set up a surprise private candlelight dinner for the two of us and decorated the table with handpicked flowers and carved fruits.

And on the last night during our stay, we were ushered away towards the scenic pool when we came to the restaurant to have dinner. And when we got to the pool, we saw an elaborate romantic candlelight dinner set by the poolside just for the two of us! And a whole makeshift kitchen was set up too, just to cater to the two of us. The head chef, Maruthavanan, along with the sous chef, Vijay, personally prepared all the dishes and served some of the most delectable dishes we’ve ever had. If you do visit Mantra, you definitely need to speak with Maruthavanan and take his recommendations on what to eat. During our stay, he had discreetly paid attention to the kind of food we prefer and on our last night, surprised us with a several course dinner that was perfect for our palate and that night was definitely one of the highpoints of our stay!
Mantra may be a wonderful resort, and better than any other hotel in Kumbakonam by a far cry, but that’s just not it. There’s one thing about Mantra that still leaves me amazed. And that’s the attention they give to the little things that matter to every guest.

The staff at the Mantra knows their etiquette, and they understand the meaning of privacy. On the last day of our stay, we decided to laze around and take a dip in the swimming pool. Unlike most hotels where the pool staff spend the whole time just staring at couples swimming or taking sneaky glances every now and then, everyone around the pool cleared away within seconds after we stepped into the area (even the farming staff working on the farm nearby left their tools and walked away!) and just one pool attendee stood near the pool and faced away from us the whole while to give us our privacy. And this was in a little town in south India! Shockingly, even several five star hotels in India haven’t taught their staff the fierce importance guests give to privacy.

During our stay, we met Subbu, the CEO and the man behind Mantra Veppathur, who was staying for the weekend at the resort. And it was clear that this resort takes its charm and hospitality from him. He was a warm and wonderful host, generous with his stories about different temples and their legends, and he made us feel involved and welcome throughout our stay.

There’s so much more I can write about Mantra. But then again, some hotels are best left to be experienced. And the Mantra resort is definitely one of gems that’s worth that experience. We had a wonderful time in Mantra, and I truly can’t think of a better place to stay in Kumbakonam than here.

After all, we arrived at Mantra Veppathur as guests. And we left Mantra Veppathur waving goodbye to several new friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hofito
Mantra-Subbu, CEO at Mantra Veppathur Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Sir

There is no words to express my gratitude for this kind of feedback which you have posted in the Trip Advisor.

You have taken a great pleasure to write in length and breath, and make us all feel so happy to see your review,which is rare in the Trip Advisor, to the extent of hailing every one from your heart!

On behalf of my entire team, i sincerely thank you for this wonderful feedback,which will certainly give us a great mileage in this industry.

I look forward to having you again with us ,and sure we will live up to your expectations at all times!!

No words that i can add, to your genuine and great feedback!!

Subbu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed Feb 2013. Very isolated resort spread out on a former Governmnet plantation. Now owned and built I believe by a politician????? Cottages well apart and solid and huge. pool area great and restuarant located in a separate large open venue. If you want to be away from the country you are in...then this is a resort that could be anywhere in the world. Good place but very isolated. If you need a recharge and quiet for a few this is the place. Service is a bit slow and tedious, and this should change with experience as it is fairly new.

Room Tip: most are cottages and some are stand alone instead of joined.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G-clayton2011
Dear Sir

Many thanks for posting your feedback in the Trip Advisor. Just to say this resort does not either owned or connected any way to any political person.

As a through professional person who worked with the hotel industry and served with leading branded chain for over two decades, i can take this time to keep u informed that i along with my funder ( Good business friend of mine) have developed this unique traditional resort in veppathur.

I am extremely sorry to note about our services lapse,which had put you in to inconvenience,while you were staying, and ensure the same will not be repeated at any cost to any one.Thanks for bringing this to my notice.

We look forward to your future stay, and assure our personalized services will continue at all times.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Very courteous staff and the food was excellent. The service was also very good. The resort is very calm and has a refreshing environment. The cottages are tastefully done. The bathrooms are spacious and airy. Though my visit was very brief this time, I plan to take my family and stay for a longer period and visit all the temples situated around Kumbakonam. The only drawback could be the access, but you will not remember it as soon as your arrive at the resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rksitaraman
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking your time to post your feedback to the Trip Advisor, and i have noted your genuine concern on cross over,before you get in to our entry portal.

We are in the process with the local authority to request for widening the bridge ,and hope this will be done in due course.

Your feedback in general is well taken care and will pass on to all my colleagues,who will certainly cherish the positive.

Look forward to welcome you again with your family for a longer duration, and we assure our best of personal care at all times.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed couple of nights in Mantra in the end of February 2013. We were very much impressed with the quality of service, food and spa. Staff is very professional and friendly. Someone who opened this hotel and those who work there know how to do it right! The hotel occupies a big territoty in a quiet area very near to the city. It looks like a park with a number of cottages. The rooms are clean and spacious. They even have a shower in the open air and it's very pleasant to have morning shower under the rising sun. The restaurant is great. We highly recommend to stay in this hotel for 2-3 days for sure. It is very relaxing and nice.

Room Tip: All rooms should be ok. There's no noise and no room is next to the kitchen where smells may com...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/madam

Many thanks for your good feedback posted in the trip adviser. I have created this traditional concept in veppathur ( Land of temple town)keeping in mind to showcase the best of rural surrounded by rich architectural temples,and green paddy fields to add,the real rural flavor.

It is so great to feel to see such good feedback given by our valuable guest,who makes us to work and serve even better.

I thank on behalf of my team and look forward to having you again, and assure our best of personal care will be there at all times.

Paris, France
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Mantra is a beautiful place, set around a large, tree-shaded garden, with reception, restaurant, swimming pool and ayurvedic centre on one side, and cottages on the other. The spotless rooms are large and pleasant, and so designed that you hardly need to use the AC. Comfortable beds, great, open-air bathrooms. Service is good and unsophisticated, though somewhat slow. I had ayurvedic massages by Jilson, a young man from Kerala, which were good, too.

The resort is hidden in the heart of the Kaveri delta countryside, and may be a bit difficult to find. Once you are there, though, location is a great plus. After a delightfully quiet night, you wake up to bird songs; an easy walk can take you to the nearby village of Thirubuvanam, which has a major temple with parts dating back to the Chola period; butterflies and birds, including magnificent peacocks, are easily spotted as you walk between fields and woods. A pity that the resort does not provide bicycles

Mantra is also a great basis for exploring temples in and around Kumbakonam. If you hire a car from them, I warmly recommend driver Manimaran, who is very informative and a great person to spend time with.

The only issue here is the food. Breakfast is OK, but as far as lunch and dinner are concerned, the à la carte menu is a strictly veg and uninspiring version of the ubiquitous mix of South Indian, North Indian and Chinese-Indian food, and if a tour group turns up (which seems to be the case most of the time) you will be invited to share their buffet: bland food that is simply not good. Pity the group tourists whose only experience of Indian food will be such buffets. Given the location of the resort there is no easily reachable alternative, so you will be better off having lunch/dinner in Kumbakonam during/after your day’s visits, for instance, before returning to Mantra. This is a shame for a resort that would be ideally placed to provide its guests with a great introduction to Tamil food.

Room Tip: Some cottages are closer to the power generator, and might be less quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Mantra-Subbu, CEO at Mantra Veppathur Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Madam,

First i have to thank you for choosing us, and took your good time to post your feedback in Trip Advisor.

Your valuable feedback will be taken care with assurance, and you will be given the best of Tamil Cuisine on your future visits. Need to keep u informed that most of the groups that comes to Mantra, have buffet Dinner ( Lunch will be traditionally served for them to experience either in banana leaf or Maharaja thali with lots of variety to taste the real authentic food in the belt) Normally a la cart will be taken as per the choice of the guests, and serve them. Looks in your case, they had informed to go and have buffet which was set for the group.I am extremely sorry if that was the case and place my apology. I feel every guest who comes and stays with us, need to experience the real cuisine of our culture, and that's the concept which i have taken with care.
I ensure the same will not be repeated, and look forward to your reservation for your future, and ensure you are given the best of experience!! Thank you once again for your valuable comment and suggestion with regard to the food part of it.Will pass your good comment to our Driver Manimaran,who is certainly to be appreciated.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had a chance to visit mantra last week with my family. I would say this is an awesome place, have never seen such a wonderful place in my life time. Each and every thing was unique the way we are welcomed, the ambiance, especially the “Tea kadai”. We all we amazed to have such an excellent food, hat’s off to the chef. All the staff was very friendly. Overall I would say, you should at least visit once and feel the experience.

Great job in creating such a wonderful place………..!!!!!!!

Thanks
Anand

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mantra-Subbu, ceo at Mantra Veppathur Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Mr. Anand

Many thanks for choosing and staying with us, and really appreciate your feedback that was posted in Trip Advisor, which is a real gateway to many global travelers to find their route and experience, for the value of money that they spend.

We serve with special care and ensure each guests takes back our rich cultural care on their departure.

We look forward to your stay again, and assure, our best of services will remain intact.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I spend a day at Mantra illam. First of all, the place reminds me of good old rural India. Food was superb - my wife complained it was slightly bland but overall the taste was definitely good. Hospitality at its best. They do not have room service, which in one way is good. No TV. This is great for relaxation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mjsraman
Mantra-Subbu, CEO at Mantra Veppathur Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Sir,

I sincerely thank you for choosing and staying with us, and i extend my gratitude for having posted your valuable feedback in the leading Trip Advisor, which is the barometer for all the travelers, who are looking out for the real value for the money that they are intent to spend, during their stay to get an experience with good services.

I feel so happy that we could serve you all in good way to carry our rich cultural experience,and hope to have you and your family again in near future, and assure our best of services will continue for ever.

I thank you on behalf of my entire team,for the wonderful comment,which ultimately make them to do much better in coming days.