“beautiful location, extraordinary views....”

SHA Wellness Clinic
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in El Albir
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Perched high on a hill overlooking the Costa Blanca and the Mediterranean, the SHA clinic offers magnificent, almost 360 degree views from it's stunning roof top terrace, which also houses the lovely indoor and outdoor restaurant, and their gorgeous infinity pool surrounded by ample terraces dotted with chaises loungues for sun bathing between treatments. Lunch on the terrace under the large white canvas market umbrellas was wonderful, no sense of being in a detox clinic but rather in a sexy restaurant in St Tropez. The standard rooms are spacious and very pleasant, furnished in keeping with the clean minimalist design of the clinic, offering a large walk in wardrobe plus additional closets and a semi-separate sitting area opening unto a lovely large furnished terrace. As some of the reviewers have complained, it appears that most of the reception staff are young trainees, however I found them friendly and willing to accommodate the constant changes in appointment schedules requested by the guests, myself included, as the spa menu is pretty vast and can be a bit daunting at first, requiring adjustments as one familiarizes with the offer. I found all the therapists excellent. Some of the consultants, although very polite and friendly, unless they are of Northern European background, do have a rather rudimental English vocabulary, I can only image it would make it quite difficult for someone without any knowledge of Spanish to have a clear picture of what they are being told or taught. The food, I had chosen the most restrictive diet, was at times absolutely delicious and varied, albeit the minuscule portions. Sadly, midway the quality and variety changed drastically, resulting in a repetitive offering of boiled carrots, broccoli and zucchini without any attempt at creating something interesting which was exactly the opposite of what I had experienced during the first three or four days. I can only surmise the chef was on leave, taking with him the innovative cuisine that SHA is renowned for, if that was the case I do hope he returns for the sake of the next wave of guests. All the waiting staff were friendly and multilingual, except for one sneering young waitress who derided me when I requested the apple and carrot juice the consultant had prescribed in addition to my miso broth and two rice crackers breakfast. This happened two mornings in a row. It has been a pleasant and relaxing stay, the surroundings and tight treatment schedule definitely helped in taking my mind off the hunger pangs. I'm happy to report that I lost 6.6 pounds during my stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank FA920
AnthonyValen, Senior director of Sales at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Nice view, good location, spacious rooms, some interesting team activities. That's it. The rest is quite poor.

SHA positions itself as a top wellness clinic, but does nothing for this.
1. The personal hardly speak english (including doctors, cosmetologists, masseurs, etc).
2. Room and restaurant service is awful (three days a dirty cup of tea was not taken away from my room, in the restaurant I had to wait for my breakfast/lunch/dinner at least for 30 min. Even a glass of water was a huge problem for waiters.
3. The medical consultations are absolutely useless. The dermatologist, instead of conducting a skin test which was declared in a brochure, tried to persuade me to do a kind of laser peeling (in May!) which would cost me EUR1 000.
4. The computer system was broken, therefore the nurse did not manage to give me a comparison "before and after". She promised to send me it by email. I am still waiting for it.
5. The vast majority of people, including me, were short-changed. A range is from EUR 200 to 1500 (at least cases I know about). If you did not ask your bill at least a day before leaving, be sure you will not be able to do anything to correct mistakes and get your money back when you are leaving. You will be told to speak to a manager, to a spa receptionist, to a dozen more people to discuss the problem while a taxi is waiting for you and you are delaying the flight. Of course, finally you will give up. In my bill the "sea view" was included which I had not booked. I was told that they decided to upgrade my room but forgot to tell me that they decided to increase my room rate as well.

I definitely do not recommend you to waste your money and time with SHA. There are a lot of places in the world which deserve your attention.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
17  Thank DaryaU
SHAWellness, Gerente at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Madam,

We have read your comments very attentively and they will be extremely useful to help build and improve our service levels for the future. We deeply regret that your stay did not meet your expectations and we sincerely apologize for this.

Regarding the problems you mentioned, we would like to answer them point by point:

1. We are constantly working to get our staff speaks not only a good English but also other languages so they can communicate better with our guests but, if there is any problem, we always offer a translation service.

2. We apologize for all these inconvenience. You came in a really busy time and we had some problems with this but we are always learning from our mistakes and now we can guarantee that this will not happen again. We have increased our staff and they are all prepared for meeting the highest expectations.

3. Our medical team is well-prepared and they are internationally acclaimed. They all recommend treatments they consider that would be good for your health or beauty but we apologize just in case any of them make you feel uncomfortable.

4. We also apologize for this problem you had. At the time you came, we obviously had plenty of unexpected problems that were hard to solve. Now we are working on improving all our system so this kind of things cannot happen again.

5. Fortunately, the problems with the bills are not as common as you describe but we apologize again for all the inconvenience you suffered. The insistence that you speak to our team members is only a great example that we care a lot of our guests and we are always trying to solve the problems that may happen quickly and efficiently.

We reiterate our apologizes for failing to make your stay satisfactory and we would like to welcome you back in the future so you can see our improvements. All members of our team are working every day to improve and deliver the excellence that our guests deserve.

Best regards,
The SHA team.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

i consider sha wellness clinic the worst experience i have had in my life considering i have travelled in resort and clinic spa all over the world from italy, spain, france, switzerland, greece,australia, usa, canada,japan maldives, seychelles, mauritius, dubai, slovenia, and more.
room is nice but the spa and the reception is a really messy.
masseurs arriving late and treatment made in adjusted room with noisy and mostly with unprofessional personnel. the romanian spa director is not prepared to adviceclients for tretments and not able o use good manners. he is not reaaly competent. should do another kind of work.
mostly of the employes of the spa reception were not able to speak and understand english and not professional. they were doing stage for few months and after change.
recetion employes too were not professional and not able to speak and understand english.
they talk back with unpolite words too.
detox package i have done caused me health problem and when i got back home i was still sick for few months. during that stay i got sick cause of the diet and none helped me, there is no medical control during the night if you got sick you should wait till the morning if you survive.
i was calling all the night the reception for a doctor and the talk me bad the nurse arrived in the morning around 8.30 after i called 10 times.
i asked for a taxi to go in the hospital and the reception guy said me were not possible and close the phone. i felt alone and really worried and i pray to see the next day.
to be in a wellness clinic you should be checked and controlled 24 hours especially if are doing a strict and dangerous diet.
i spoke with the owner but he didn't look helpfull or interested on what happened.
i left before my booked staying but they didn't refund me for a part for all problems caused me from the diet and for the poor treatments i payed and they are not cheap compare to the quality.
i paid a shiatsu massage and because the spa rooms were full the masseur brought me in the yoga classe to have that massage, it was really cold and people were screaming and knocking outsise the yoga door because they have to start the lesson so i paid the hole amount for a only 20 terrible minutes of shatsu massage.
they forgot me also during the walk time in the morning at the lighthouse area, after many hours they came to pick me up.
this sha clinic is a nightmare and i advice to avoid it.
there are wellness clinic really professional in other parts of the world that give good results.
sha wellnes is advertised because the owner pays famous people and famous international magazines.
i got back home sick and more stressed than when i left my home.
food was ok for some dishes but the peolpe were in diet complained many many times for the quality and the quantity.
in general when i was there i heards negative comments especially for the spa and the reception but also for the food and the general behaviour of the workers.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
36  Thank caterina r
AnthonyValen, senior Director of Sales at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

It is with great attention that I read your comments and I am truly sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations.
Clearly every individual has a different idea of "perfection" and this is a very subjective matter. Although we strive for "perfection" and do our utmost to meet all our customers requirements we may, on occasion, fall short of this goal. In these cases we welcome feedback such as yours so that we can build on our service levels and improve for the future.
Please feel free to contact me so that I can answer your questions and respond to your comments.
Yet again, SHA WELLNESS CLINIC tries to bring the best to our customers. Our team is committed to bringing our clients and visitors the best of ourselves.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

“The ultimate in rest and wellness with a myriad of services devoted to your wellbeing. I couldn’t have asked for a better, more relaxing experience. The Spa was divine – I especially loved the deep-tissue massage and specialized beauty treatments like oxygen therapy for my skin. I left feeling like a whole new person, relaxed and rejuvenated. I have recommended this place to all my girlfriends looking for a soothing escape where you are absolutely pampered.”

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Consigliera-S
AnthonyValen, Senior Director of Sales at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Thank you on behalf of our entire team for the delicate comment you have posted on this site. We are pleased that your visit has given you full satisfaction and hope to see you again in our beautiful concept clinic.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

SHA has large lovely rooms that are mostly very comfortable. The pluses are incredibly beautiful weather, excellent sitting area and furnishings, nice bathroom with a stall shower (no tub), tons of closet and storage space, excellent lighting, amazing blackout shutters, good and free internet service, large furnished private terrace, great views in all directions (you can see a bit of the water even from the non-sea view rooms), gorgeous pools (unfortunately unheated). The parts I did not like as much: it is about a 20 minute walk into town and a steep climb back although taxis are easily available, the hotel's food is only so-so with an extremely limited choice, the pillows are truly horrible, the minibar is either not stocked or not restocked. The spa treatments are good, but no better than many other similar places. The town has no good restaurants but nearby towns offer very nice places to eat. Overall, the location and hotel are exceptionally nice and very relaxing.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank atw100
AnthonyValen, Senior Director of Sales at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

I have carefully read your comments. They are always very useful to improve ourselves.
I would just draw your attention to the fact that our kitchen is MACROBIOTIC, intended for customers who want to lose weight and feel more in tune with their bodies. We offer three types of menus and I am truly sorry this renowned cuisine was not up to your appreciation.
Regarding the well being in your room, I will share this information and seek for improvement and present our apologies if we have not lived up to your expectations.
However, we hope to see you again at SHA WELLNESS CLINIC.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I had fantastic 14 days of Detox Programme. Lost 8Kgs. And enjoyed every single day and lost kilo! :)
Many nearby golf courses, which for a golf enthusiast like me is key.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank elsuizofilipino
shawellnessclinic, Public Relations Manager at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Dear Christophe,
Thank you for selecting SHA Wellness Clinic.
We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We appreciate your positive comments that will serve as encouragement to our staff.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and meeting you on your next visit to SHA Wellness Clinic.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2011

A great 3 day stay, highly recommend SHAMADI restaurant. Healthy gastronomy, top Chef, warm service, even haute cuisine desserts without sugar

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Nico2602
AnthonyValen, Director of Sales at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

I would like to use this reply as an opportunity to express our gratitude for the nice comment you wrote about your food experience at SHA WELLNESS CLINIC.
Our team is always very sensitive to feedback from our customers.
Our chef, Pablo MONTORO, is a very talented chef : we are proud of his presence at SHA.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future,

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Albir
Albir Playa Hotel & Spa
#2 of 15 in L'Alfas del Pi
Hotel SH Villa Gadea
Villa Venecia Hotel Boutique

Been to SHA Wellness Clinic? Share your experiences!