“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in El Albir
Chicago, Illinois
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

SHA has large lovely rooms that are mostly very comfortable. The pluses are incredibly beautiful weather, excellent sitting area and furnishings, nice bathroom with a stall shower (no tub), tons of closet and storage space, excellent lighting, amazing blackout shutters, good and free internet service, large furnished private terrace, great views in all directions (you can see a bit of the water even from the non-sea view rooms), gorgeous pools (unfortunately unheated). The parts I did not like as much: it is about a 20 minute walk into town and a steep climb back although taxis are easily available, the hotel's food is only so-so with an extremely limited choice, the pillows are truly horrible, the minibar is either not stocked or not restocked. The spa treatments are good, but no better than many other similar places. The town has no good restaurants but nearby towns offer very nice places to eat. Overall, the location and hotel are exceptionally nice and very relaxing.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank atw100
AnthonyValen, Senior Director of Sales at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
I have carefully read your comments. They are always very useful to improve ourselves.
I would just draw your attention to the fact that our kitchen is MACROBIOTIC, intended for customers who want to lose weight and feel more in tune with their bodies. We offer three types of menus and I am truly sorry this renowned cuisine was not up to your appreciation.
Regarding the well being in your room, I will share this information and seek for improvement and present our apologies if we have not lived up to your expectations.
However, we hope to see you again at SHA WELLNESS CLINIC.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I had fantastic 14 days of Detox Programme. Lost 8Kgs. And enjoyed every single day and lost kilo! :)
Many nearby golf courses, which for a golf enthusiast like me is key.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Christophe S
shawellnessclinic, Public Relations Manager at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Christophe,
Thank you for selecting SHA Wellness Clinic.
We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We appreciate your positive comments that will serve as encouragement to our staff.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and meeting you on your next visit to SHA Wellness Clinic.

With warmest regards,
Enschede, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

A great 3 day stay, highly recommend SHAMADI restaurant. Healthy gastronomy, top Chef, warm service, even haute cuisine desserts without sugar

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Nico2602
AnthonyValen, Director of Sales at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I would like to use this reply as an opportunity to express our gratitude for the nice comment you wrote about your food experience at SHA WELLNESS CLINIC.
Our team is always very sensitive to feedback from our customers.
Our chef, Pablo MONTORO, is a very talented chef : we are proud of his presence at SHA.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future,
spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Everything is there, but the chaos is so great it ruins your holidays. Music pipping at 4 am to wake you up, non existent sound proofing of rooms which mean you can hear everything from next door and the corridors, ,endless delays in appointments, cold food as it is prepared at 19 for example at night and then sort of kept warm.... So eat warm early or cold later....and unless you are in a Programe just 3 mains to choose from, very boring. When coming for a week's stay.... surly staff when anything goes wrong and believe me everything does.... First impressions were good but soon teachers not showing up for classes with no notice, delays and general chaos put paid to any idea of relaxing holidays, I could go on for pages... Very bad value for money, unless you personnally know The owners, in which case other people will have to wait ......All in all very bad, you are made to feel as you are not important every step of the way. The spa is very good, unless there is a private lesson going on, in which case you are asked NOT to use the facilities !!! Beware
Not worth the money.

Room Tip: Nothing I'm afraid....
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
36 Thank nadinejane
Thank you for taking the time to express your comments regarding your stay at SHA WELLNESS CLINIC.
I am confused by reading your negative comments; fortunately, this kind of feedback is rare and
almost all of our clients leave satisfied with their stay. It may be that yours is not held in conditions and I'm sorry. Perhaps your comment is linked more with your emotional field.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again here so that you can revise your positive overall impression.
We strive to give our customers the best service.
Expat in Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

I recently arrived back from a stay in SHA and had a lovely and relaxing time. A friend and I decided to go as a way to spend some time together and to recharge our batteries a bit. My friend is a repeat client (3rd time in a year) but it was the first time for me.

We decided to go for 3 days with the two-day intro package rather than one of the rigorous detox or weight-loss. This package is great for people who may want to sample the macrobiotic diet but mainly want a relaxing short break.

Our room was amazing. We got the standard room but it was quite large and had a large terrace. My favourite was a separate room they had for the closet--we were able to leave our bags and everything in there and not have to trip over them the whole stay, more hotels should do this. We had a shower, no bath, not a problem for me, and no problems with the shower overflowing. All sorts of details are thought of such as outlets on the terrace so you can be on your computer or whatever and enjoy the time outdoors. Only complaint is the air-conditioning in our room--it was much too strong and we couldn't moderate it. Without it the room became suffocating but with it was very cold at night. We didn't bring this up to management though as we found a few duvets and just used those at night.

Treatments were excellent. The massages are all some of the best I've had and quite a notch above your usual hotel treatments. I also did a private pilates class which was also quite good. Only negative is that some of my treatments and courses started a bit late, but they didn't seem to skimp on the time. If you are thinking about doing any treatments or classes in addition to what is provided on your programme, it's well worth scheduling them ahead of time as some of the popular ones may be all booked up when you are there.

Classes were a bit hit-or-miss. I found them quite introductory in that most people who are aware of healthy eating principles might not get much out of them. They also seemed to be lacking a bit in practical applications of the information. The cooking class was quite good though and you can tell the chef brings a lot of care into his kitchen.

Finally, the restaurant was very good. As we were not on a special dietary programme, we ordered a la carte though our meals were included in the price of our programme. Although I'm a semi-vegetarian and try to eat healthily, I had never really had macrobiotic food before. It was absolutely delicious though I'm sure it's well above most other macrobiotic restaurants out there. I agree with another poster about the shrimp carpaccio and the tuna tetaki--they were some of my favourites. My only complaint (and one of the reasons I am not giving 5 stars) is that the service is very slow. The whole atmosphere is very relaxed, so it's not usually a problem, but sometimes it can get very annoying. All the guests were commenting on this so I don't think it was a problem unique for us. I think they need to get a few more waitstaff.

I had a wonderful stay here and will definitely come back. Everything was top-notch. I've been to a few other "spa" resorts like this and you rarely find everything to high-quality and so much attention to detail. It was a great getaway.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are all the same. I don't think upgrades are really available (even for my friend...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank expatgrl
AnthonyValen, Senior Director of Sales at SHA Wellness Clinic, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you on behalf of our entire team for the delicate comment you have posted on this site. We are pleased that your visit has given you full satisfaction and hope to see you again in our beautiful concept clinic.
Amsterdam, Nederland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

I had some days of pondering between 4 and 5 stars and finally decided for 5. The SHA is something that can really change your life. There are a small minor issues which I shall describe, but my overall impression superseeded the minor glitches (let's say my final ranking was about 4.5 hehe).
I said "change your life" because one of the best things is, they make you SEE and FEEL the results of what you are doing (the macrobiotic diet plus excercising) and in my case I just continued the momentum right now to change my dietary habits and subscribe to a health club in the town where I live.

Nowhere I have seen staff so committed to give you the true values they stand for:
- excellent service
- the true macrobiotic experience
- total relaxation

Location
============
The SHA is located on a hill between Benidorm and Altea. I stayed between 9 and 19 June, early-season where prices are lower and climate is not too hot. I highly recommend to travel this time of the year as it is not yet too hot (average temperature during my stay around 26c) as it can get over 35c during the high season.
You have a beautiful view all around the SHA, especially from the terrace in front of the restaurant and the pool area.
Because most guests are busy with treatments or activities, it never feels crowded even if there are 93 rooms. Or I should say suites, as everywhere you have the feeling of space, one of the big assets of the SHA.

Rooms
============
I booked a room with seaview, which costs € 30 per day extra. As the views are so splendid throughout the SHA, there is not really a need to book seaview as an extra, but it is of course your own choice.
The rooms are very spatious with a BIG terrace. They come with a minibar and an equally spatious bathroom, where you just have a rainshower (no bath). You don't need the bath as you have an outdoor infinity pool and the indoor pool with every watermassage kit that you can think of. It took considerable time in my room (306) for the water to get warm and the shower has the tendency to overflow in this way.
There is WiFi and wired internet. The WiFi is dreadfully slow but make sure you get your LAN-cable out as the wired internet gave me a speed of around 3-4 MBit/s which was manageable. Alas.. you are of course meant to spend a holiday and relax and not to surf the net too much!

Spa & pools
============
The spa is lovely and easily the best I have been to. The water is very warm and there are plenty of jets which all worked without a glitch, I have seen it differently in other hotels. The sauna, steamroom (hammam) and caldarium however are too hot for my standards (sauna around 100c or above, steamroom around 55c). The outdoor infinity pool is great and if you go in the afternoon, the water has warmed up nicely.
Oh, there is also a small gym but it does not have a lot of apparatus.

============
Yes food is VERY important, if not the predominant factor in the SHA. Everything is macrobiotic, and this takes some days to get accustomed to.
You can take one of several programs that usually come with a diet (there is weightloss, detox and others) but if you don't want this you can also take a la carte. If you take a program however, you get all the medical attendance with it. The doctors are really excellent, compared to e.g. Dutch standards. Within the program comes a full health check-up including a blood test.
If you are on a diet, EVERY meal starts with soup. At breakfast it's miso soup, you then usually get a fruit juice (I got avocado-carrot juice) and porridge with grains. Lunch and dinner having a diet, comprise of a soup (at lunch it's usually bouillon-type soup with vegetables and at dinner a more creamy vegetable soup) and a main course, however in limited quantaties. It's either tofu/soja or fish. And tea to finish, at breakfast and lunch I got kikucha tea and after dinner apple kuzu. The latter is supposed to relax you and give you a better sleep but in my case it just meant I woke up more drowsily.
If you continue having a diet after your treatment or program has finished, you pay a whopping € 100.- per day for full board, in stead I recommend you take the a la carte in stead which offers lovely dishes. Be sure not to miss the prawn carpaccio and the tuna on risotto.

Be aware for your whole stay you will not get:
- coffee
- dairy products (milk, cheese etc)
- meat
- alcohol - you can order wine within a la carte.
If you want a change in your diet, make sure you consult this with the macrobiotic consultant, as waiters are not allowed to make changes. If you do want a change, you have to sign a form that you voluntarily accept this change and that it can affect the outcome of your diet. Seemed fair enough to me. Yes, diets are followed up very strictly!

Treatments
============
You can undergo all sorts of treatments, many of which you will not even have heard of. They come with the program you book or you can book them separately. The ones I had undertaken were excellent. Some of the therapists recommended a follow-up given my personal situation. This is of course a method of cross-sell but at least it felt genuine.

Side activities
============
There is a weekly program with side activities. Some are better than others. Make sure you book yourselves in advance and DO include the "walk to the lighthouse", which is an excellent early morning work-out and aqua-gym. the "walk to the beach" proved to be as little as walking the dog on a Sunday morning so I am not recommending this one unless you are walking back from the beach uphill to the SHA, as I did. It's not to steep and will take just 25 minutes or so. I did not go for the Nordic walking but I heard it's a good work-out even though the track was (according to other guests) not very nice.

Then there is cooking lessons, which are a showdown of the chef's specials, you take the recipe with you and get the option to taste. And lectures at 3PM which I found rather disappointing:
- too much cross-sell on the treatments, esp. the hydo-colontherapy treatment for which they only mention the advantages and not the disadvantages (the speaker merily repeated about 10 times "You eat good, you go to the toalet good")
- more of the stuff you already know from the consults with the doctors and macrobiotic consultants

Various
============
My recommendations to SHA management, in order to not let me doubt between 4 and 5 stars, are following:
- try to run appointments more on time. Personally I did not have an issue with this, but I heard stories of other guests that had to wait too long time before their appointment or treatments.
- make sure staff speak better English
- make sure ALL relevant information is given right from the start (e.g. I had to find out by myself I was "entitled" to eat an apple in the afternoon and have a tea between 5 and 7 PM)
- make sure every appliance is kept in order

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
14 Thank YoenNL
All your comments are very important for us.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

I was staying in Benidorm with my partner while he was on business. After searching around the internet for something a bit more luxurious that was in the surrounding areas. I watched a video online of the clinic and I was sold.

The SHA is unlike anywhere I have stayed before although I have never stayed at a health retreat before but I will definitely be visiting them more often definitely staying longer so that I am able to participate in the programs.

I must admit it was a little bit hard to find considering we didn't have a GPS but once we did find the small sign we were okay. From the moment you arrive at the SHA your car and bags are taken care of and you can relax immediately.

I only stayed in a standard room but it completely exceeded my expectations and I couldn't wait to get in the fancy shower to use the L'Occitane toiletries :) The water did get all over the bathroom floor and we had to use all of the towels to soak it up. Luckily we had big fluffy bathrobes so it wasn't a problem.

Dinner was definitely something new and even though I have heard about macrobiotic diets I was so surprised to find that the food was incredible. I did find the restaurant a bit pricey but if you are staying at the SHA then you must definitely try it and considering the location of the hotel you might find yourself dining here most of the time. I have never tasted anything like the pesto pasta and miso for breakfast is something I will probably not have again but definitely an interesting experience.

I did expect that the staff would have spoken english much better than they did but that is just a small downside considering everything else.

The view from the infinity pool, the putting green, the option to go bush walking are just among the many things you can do at SHA so I'm hoping to go back to Benidorm soon to have an excuse to come back.

Oh and don't expect any alcohol here! It's a health retreat haha

Room Tip: Even the standard rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank smhhms87
it is a pleasure for us to know that your experience was positive, we always try to give our customers the best service.
I'm sorry for the incident of the bathroom and hope it was the only unfortunate episode of your stay.
Our staff makes every day more and more effort to adapt to the different languages ​​of our customers, such as English, German, French, Russian, etc ...
I will share your comment with our hotel manager and clinic MANAGER.
we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon,
Also consider these accommodations in or near El Albir
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,101 reviews
Barcelo Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa
Villa Venecia Hotel Boutique
Gran Hotel Sol y Mar

Been to SHA Wellness Clinic? Share your experiences!