We thought to try this place in order to explore the local area away from the crowds on the Crater. We were not disappointed.
The approach is via 5km or so of rough track from the tar of the main Manyara-Ngorongoro road but it is no problem as the turns are well signed.
This is a development in conjunction with support for a local school/orphanage nearby. There is a competent team in place headed by the two Dutch owners.
The accommodation is perched on the slopes of Ngorongoro Crater right against the NCA Fence and they offer guided and unguided walks in the surrounding farm and woodlands. Plenty of birds for those who like this sort of thing. I had a Little Sparrowhawk come and perch by my tent one afternoon. Lots of Shrikes, Waxbills and other stuff too.
Accommodation is in Tents on raised platforms in the usual manner. These very very well furnished and each of the 24 tents has a different view and space from its neighbours. There is a well stocked bar and service is prompt and friendly.
Dining is to a fixed menu with table service in a spacious Lapa adjoining the Bar/Platform area. Fires are lit for those cooler evenings and Hot Water bottles in the Bed at turndown. Maybe a few too many 'domestic' Cats around for my taste and seeing them squat in the empty fireplaces is not conducive to an easy dining experience.
However that apart we enjoyed our stay here and would come again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quietly tucked away on the top of a hill in rural Africa and, at the same time, located in the very heart of the Northern Tanzania safari circuit Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge breathes the atmosphere of true Africa. The lodge is built with indigenous hardwood and in traditional African style. It is in complete harmony with its surroundings. Yet, its spacious set up, personal and friendly service and its finishing touches, such as cozy sofas around the fireplace and warm decorative details, provide a perfectly balanced luxury. With only fifteen individual tents, Rhotia Valley has an intimate charm. Each of the comfortable tented houses has its own veranda with splendid view. The bathrooms are provided with hot and cold running water, shower and flush toilet. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is served in our open dining area. Most of the vegetables and all the herbs are grown in our own garden. Daily we bake fresh bread in our Bakery. Moreover, we produce butter from the milk produced by our own cows. Facilities: - Swimming pool with panoramic view. - Wifi is available in the common dining area. - Conference Room fully equipped with beamer and flipchart. Rhotia Valley is more than a lodge. It is completed embedded in the community of Rhotia. Rhotia Valley consists of the Tented Lodge and, on the opposite hill, a CHILDREN'S HOME. Its aim is to give support to the people of the Rhotia area, all the staff and the children in the Home are from the local area. TWO HILLS, ONE GOAL! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rhotia Valley Tented Hotel Karatu
- Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge Tanzania/Karatu