“Excellent place to stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Karatu
Bougainvillea Safari Lodge
Ranked #6 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Karatu
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent place to stay!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Staff were all very friendly and eager to help. Pool hours were 24 hrs so we were able to take advantage of the pool each day after long dusty safari days.

Fireplaces in our chalets were great too and the staff lit them while we were at dinner so we returned to the warmth and didn't have to do anything.

Excellent location if you are going to see the Ngorongoro crater.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Theresa B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Bougainvillea Safari lodge is a good mid-range budget option located a short drive from the Ngorongoro Crater, and Lake Manyara. The cottages are big, with ample space for items, my only complaint is that the pillow are extremely hard and the water pressure in the shower was like being "licked by puppies" as my travel mate put it. I had a nice swim in the pool, and all the staff were very polite. The selling point of the lodge is their dinners, the chef is obviously well-trained and puts together a very nice assortment of dishes each evening. They staff always came around asking if you wanted seconds of anything, and were also very accommodating to my dietary restrictions (bringing me steamed vegetables without dairy and a bowl of fruit for dessert instead of pie). As I am lactose and gluten-intolerant, I had a wonderful packed lunch full of fresh fruit, peeled veggies, hard cooked egg, a piece of chicken and chips, was not starving! Be warned however, they charge a hefty $5 USD per 1/2 hour of internet, and the connection is extremely slow, try finding an internet cafe or using internet at another lodge for better rates.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank laura v
Bromma, Sweden
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in house/room 1 and 2 which were excellent. Big room with a nice double bed and twin beds for our sons, which were made up every night with the full covering mosqito net and a cosy light. It looked so nice and comfortable. A good bathroom with a shower.
There is a lovely refreshing swimming pool with sun beds.
The restaurant is serving good food, a small sallad, then a soup as a starter and then chicken or meat with rice, vegetables and sauce, finally a small desert. Nothing fancy but good food.
Breakfast offers tropical fruits, toast, pancakes, omelettes, eggs or what you want to order.
The staff was so nice and friendly, best staff we met in Tanzania.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 and 2 which were excellent situtated by the pool and restaurant.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank YlvaBromma_Sweden
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I arranged to have my mother and brother stay at Bougainvillea for about five nights while I was working up the hill in Karatu for a few weeks in March 2012. When we arrived on the property we fell in love immediately! The staff were extremely hospitable and everyone knew us by name within a day. The gardening and pool were pristine and the the guest houses were adorable and well equipped! I visited my family many nights for dinner and really enjoyed the food -especially the soup, vegetables, and avocado salad! Reggie is a great chef and is very welcoming, we shared several good chats. My mom and brother went on a tour to a coffee plantation with Andrew; I also joined on a hike to the elephant caves around Gibbs Farm. Andrew was a fantastic guide. When we went on a safari for a few days the staff volunteered to lock up my mom and brothers suitcase which was a big help. We will also remember Daniel as being a fantastic host to my family. He was very friendly and we became friends very fast.

Thanks Bougainvillea!

- Lauren, Pam, and Sam

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here as part of an organised tour and remember being surprised, as they could have just put us anywhere. However, this is a really nice place with a lot of charm. It is also conveniently located between Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater, so a late start from one and early rise to the other is not a problem. Food was fine, rooms were nice and quaint. Overall very happy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StueyD
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This way my third stay at the lodge. I love the rooms here. The setting is so relaxing and the rooms are beautiful and the beds extremely comfortable. I spent many hours on the porch reading and enjoying the quiet. The next morning I took a walk outside of the grounds, away from the town of Karatu. I felt very safe and the people were quite friendly. The staff is very helpful. I rated this only a four, because I feel the food, although always good, is a little hit and miss. Sometimes it is outstanding, sometimes just average. But if I am ever near Karatu, I will always use this as the place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kilopascal
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were rerouted on our tour from an accommodations closer to the Ngorongoro Crater and at first a little disgruntled by the change....until we were received by the staff of the Bougainvillea Safari Lodge with damp cool towels to wipe the safari dirt off our faces and cold mango juice to soothe our souls.

I see a few travelers were a litte unhappy with this little gem of a hotel. I am sorry they missed the most important key to why it is so speical...it's the people who work here. I did not meet the manager but I am going to guess he does a good job because the people who work here care ab lout each other and care about the guests and each one strives to be sure every expectation is met. They treat everyone like family.

We did meet the executive chef, Reginald Bayo, and you can tell he loves his work as the food was exceptional! Dinner is served to you and we had pumpkin soup and pot roast with carrots and mashed potatoes...delicous! He even has a lush garden where he grows most of the produce.

The grounds look like a bit of England...the pathways to the cozy cottages are lined with beautiful flowers that even included some coffee plants. The accommodations are charming with mosquited netted four-poster beds, African themed quilts, a small fireplace tucked into the corner and fresh flowers from the garden. Although the bathroom is quite Spartan...it is more than adequate.

All in all, I would return here again..and hope Reginald will consider doing some cooking classes or at least a little blog with some of his recipes on the website. And I must say the photos onm the website don't do the grounds justice...everything has flourished since the photos were taken.

Room Tip: Beautiful pool area!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chichicastenango
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karatu
Acacia Farm Lodge
The Retreat at Ngorongoro
Eileen's Trees Inn
Eileen's Trees Inn
#4 of 50 in Karatu

Been to Bougainvillea Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!