“World class price for no class at all”

Sherbourne Guest House
Ranked #2 of 21 Kitwe B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This may have been the gold standard in the past but those days are long gone. The service standard for a $150 a night room is pathetic. Meals are very late, service non existing and the rooms are in a state of decay. Very little maintenance is done and the place is a trap based on history.

I have stayed here more than once as to give them the benifit of doubt. Even that did not help.

Room Tip: The Lunte Lodge down the road is at the same price but far better value. Still not at great levels b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Johan N
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Hello Mr Johan.
Thank you for taking the time to review our lodge. We really appreciate. I am sorry that your stay with us was not positive and I am truly sorry that you were not happy with your stay. It would be helpful if you were more specific with the issues you had in the room and also you room numbers so that we can make improvements. I have just employed more waiters and chefs in the hope of speeding up the service. Thank you for your comments, they can only make us better.

There are newer reviews for Sherbourne Guest House

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel once before and didn't really want to go back, but sometimes you don't have a choose. The rooms are very dark. You need the lights on even during the day. They need to be updated, indeed. However, they are very clean and the staff make up the rooms for the night, a nice little gesture. You can find all kind of amenities like, toothbrush, razors, vanity kit, body lotion and more. They have also installed AC in the rooms, but if you prefer a fan there is a big one.
The staff is very friendly and do their outmost to help you.
Food ok, not more, but breakfast is pretty good.
Will I go back again, yes I do.

Room Tip: As far away from the parking and bar as possible
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Hello Pellerina.
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our lodge and most of all thank you for coming back.
I am sorry that your room was too dark, we are changing the lighting right now. We do have a couple rooms with no direct sunlight which is not up to everyones liking. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This is the only way we can improve.
Cleanliness and friendliness is our motto here at Sherbourne. I'm glad you enjoyed our hospitality.
Thank you and please, please, come again.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stay here on a regular basis, and will continue to stay here. Very friendly,safe and the staff is very helpfull. The food is of top quality and very dilicious. I would recommend to all my friends to stay here. Thanks for a nice stay as always.

Room Tip: Ask for the flat 5. Is not at Sherbourne hotel but closeby. Very quite.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Thank you so much for this fantastic review Mr Johan Munnik. It is always a pleasure having you here at Sherbourne. I am so glad you like the apartments as well. They are ideal for our guests who require a more quieter setting. I am so glad you like our food. Please, please, come again !
Thank you so much.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed several Times at the Sherbourne.
Rooms are in General at the very Dark side, with all Lights on and open Curtains still Headlight reqired. Roadside is quiet noisy. If near the Restaurant and Soccer Game is on, Noisy as well due to lots of local Visitors watching. They actually block Parking for the Residents, so your Car remains outside and when the drunkards have gone home you can bring it into safety.
Not one stay without Fixing my own Shower etc.
Food in the Restaurant is very good, the only Highlight in the Tunnel.

Room Tip: Get a Room far away from Road or Bar!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you Mr Bushracer for coming to Sherbourne and taking the time to review our lodge. Sorry that your room was too dark. We have switched to new bulbs that are greener and come recommended by local electrical company. We are happy to change to the very bright bulbs that we keep in store should our guests make a request. Our bar is very popular with Kitwe residents which are a clientele we also value. Yes football is also very popular and we seem to have more guests and more noise when there is a match on. I would recommend rooms 11 to 23 which are furthest from the bar for our guests requiring peace and quiet. I apologise about your car being parked outside. This is an oversight by the security guard as we give parking priority to guests actually staying with us and bar and restaurant patrons, second. I have spoken to them about your complaint and they were wrong and send their apologies. We always have two spots reserved for the managers which we always gladly give our residents if needed. Please feel free to ask. Thank you for complimenting our food. We always pride ourselves in preparing freshly cooked and tasty meals. Thank you for coming to Sherbourne and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have stayed 3x at Sherbourne over the past 3 years . I like the ambience. Quaint and delightful. Rooms are average and need improvements. . Menu is quite ok but after 3 years could use a change. Check in and slowness to payment etc was a bit painful. I like this place but it has much more potential if it invested more !

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Wow ! What a fantastic review . Thank you so much Mr Paul L for taking the time to say nice things about our place. We have been here for 20 years and are looking to revamp the lodge this year once we open our brand spanking new hotel two streets away. I am sorry about the slowness of our check in procedure. We are looking at a new booking system that will be quicker. It so nice and precious of you to keep on coming back. We love having you and look forward to your next visit. Thank you

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The Sunday Buffet was absolutely sublime, they offered a hog roast which I loved. The service was good, the staff were friendly, there was an adjacent casino which was full of life. The scenery and the swimming pool was beautiful. Although some reviews complained about noise, when I went I found it very quiet and peaceful as my room was far from the bar/restaurant area

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Sassy girl2014. Thank you so much for your fantastic review. It was a pleasure having you.
We would love to see you again.

Lorraine B

Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Sherbourne Guesthouse is overflowing in lush greenery - each corner filled with delightful African handwork and knicknacks. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

The breakfast offered is a little dissappointing in that it is a small spread and not much choice.The downside is that the facilities are not always reliable and in working condition. But the staff are quite friendly and helpful, making up for this in a great part.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much Dravilla for your positive review.
We are open to suggestion and criticism .Please come again as it was a pleasure having you. Most importantly if you would like additions to the breakfast, please please, just ask and we will oblige within reason. Thank you so much.

Lorraine B