All reviews other places two nights menu razor toothbrush wifi lodge
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Comfortable and clean room, good service. Convenient access to restaurant, and the new 888 Casino that opened makes the stay more worthwhile due to the entertainment value. I haven't seen a casino this nice anywhere in Zambia other than in Lusaka. The decor is nicely done, the tables and chairs are new and comfortable, and there are more than 20 slot machines that look brand new. They serve drinks and have a friendly staff that is constantly looking after you, no pressure to play. There were around 10 people on the tables and 5-10 on the machines when I was there, so its not overcrowded, but has a nice vibe to it. They offer roulette, blackjack, carribean poker on the tables, and many games on the slots. I overheard some of the groupier talking about a possible addition of hold-em poker room, that would be really fun for cash games and tournaments. Will check them out again next time I'm in town for business.

Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you Seb S for your wonderful review. We really appreciate. Glad you liked the casino. We hope to see you again. The pleasure is all ours.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip in April. Although the other reviews mention the noise from the bar, it was fairly quiet the 5 days I stayed here. I was close to the bar but never really did the sound level bother me. The rooms are large enough and the bed comfortable, and fitted with a mosquito net.WiFi was also ok, but it is a lot better the closer you sit to the main reception or outside in the garden at the bar. There is also a pool - very welcome when you consider the Zambian heat. They were busy fixing up the pool during my visit, so di not get to use it.
The water pressure however was dismal and the temperature not consistent. There was one morning without any hot water and the other 4 the pressure was affected hugely by other users, from a slid spray to a few drops all within a few minutes.
I arrived on a Sunday and the only meals available were the buffet - for both lunch and dinner. Considering the food was basically the same for both meals and it cost around $18 per meal it is a pity there are no alternative menu options on a Sunday. I did order food twice in the week, but it was not fantastic. However - breakfast is very good for Kitwe and the hotel packed me a lunch the one day that was also very good. The bar was good and service quick, with abeer costing about $1-$2. All in all not a bad place and worth another visit.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear vos007. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our lodge. I am sorry about the water pressure issues and lack of a'la carte on a Sunday. This is due to the fact that on Sundays, the kitchen is closed for the weekly spring cleaning and scrubbing of walls . Food preparation is virtually impossible. That is why we have the barbeque with chicken, saugages and hog roast plus a selection of salads and vegetables.The water pressure was caused by a block from the borehole supply which was rectified the same day. We hope that we will have you stay with us again. Thank you.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed in the Annexe (room A3) which was OK, although being an older house, there are windows above the main door to the rooms so that the corridor light shines in. This is not so good for sleeping, plus, one may be disturbed by other guests coming in at night. The rooms are well appointed although the queen sized bed did not leave much space between the bed and the desk. Two remotes for the TV and decoder could fox the non-technofiles like me, but I was too tired to watch TV and slept well. The one 2 pin plug to the one bed side lamp has been abused because there is no proper adaptor, but the 2nd lamp was plugged in and working. Otherwise it was quiet and comfortable. The breakfast is the best in Kitwe and starts at 6.30am which helps if you have to leave early. Cost just over U$120 per night.

Room tip: Ask for rooms 11 to 20, away from the bar or main road where it is quieter
Date of stay: April 2013
1  Thank Steffen K

Thank you Steffen for a great review. I apologise for the hiccups in the room. These are now all rectified. I am very happy that you enjoyed our breakfast. We do pride ourselves in having a good breakfast for our guests. Please come again.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was given a room near the bar and this meant that in spite of my serious jet lag, I was unable to sleep as there is noise till late in the night. I was then transferred to another room which was quiet enough though still next to the parking which means that you have to depend on luck for a car alarm to not go off. The room had a small bathroom with a poor shower and no sunlight as it was in a corridor. Rooms do have mosquito nets and quite basic but on the plus side, the air conditioning was quiet and effective. Staff were also quite courteous and attentive. Evenings at the bar are boisterous with prostitutes walking in at will. Not value for money. Will certainly avoid this place next time!!

Room tip: Avoid room numbers 9 and 10 if you do decide to stay at this place (given the limited choice in Kitwe) as they are close to the bar and it can get really loud in the night.
Date of stay: December 2012
2  Thank sahsameer

Dear Sahsameer. Thank you for taking the time to review our lodge. I am sorry that the bar patrons kept you awake. On a week day, the bar closes at 10pm and the place should be quiet. Rooms 11 to 23 are the furthest from the bar with a garden and fish pond. About the prostitutes, I can say that we are a place that does not entertains nor tolerate prostitution. If anyone one is seen bothering our esteemed guests whether male of female , is always asked to leave and even banned from our lodge. Please always let us know if you are being bothered and we will not hesitate to deal with the issue. Thank you very much.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had New Years Eve in Kitwe and stayed at Sherbourne . Awesome place ! The gardens are wonderful and the greek salad is to die for ! The menu is well varied with Zambian and international foods. The owner, Bwalya Hight is charming, friendly and even bought me a few rounds ! If you are in Kitwe or the Copperbelt in general, please stay here ! All rooms have mosquito nets. There is also a lovely small bar that seemed to have a decent crowd. There is a problem of working girls in Zambia, just like most poor countries but there seemed to be in short supply at Sherbourne. It is a ten minute walk from the town centre. The decor is very Zambian and original. Love, Love x

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Thank you very much ColmV for taking the time to review our lodge. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our hospitality. I apologise for the noise, It has not been very easy with the World Cup, but I promise we are working on reducing the noise from our very popular bar. We have also put brighter lights in the rooms. Thank you and please come again.