TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Open today: 8:30 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent tour guide who made the incredible tour even more memorable!

We customized our own two-day, one night tour into the Amazon for four people. Gary was not... read more

Reviewed November 29, 2018
Natasha S
London, United Kingdom
Fun and educational

Gary was a fantastic tour guide. He's very knowledgeable and made the tours educational and fun... read more

Reviewed June 29, 2018
ericmd
Maryland

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 12, 2017

I am not exaggerating when I say that the one-day tour we did with Gary's Tours was one of the most magical days of my life! It had a perfect balance of activities and relaxing canoe rides in the beautiful rain forest. We loved the fun and interesting activities - feeding monkeys, making chocolate, butterfly farm, seeing caimans, animal rescue center. We were traveling with our six young children, ages 1-14, and they all loved it too! Gary was great with the kids, and he even helped carry our one-year-old a few times so my wife and I could enjoy the sites, which we really appreciated. Gary's Tours is a "must do" activity in Tena!

Date of experience: July 2017
2  Thank GSBBYU
Reviewed June 9, 2016

We had our family trip to Ecuador planned for several months, and kept coming across rave reviews for Gary's Tours. We are so happy that we booked our tour. Gary and Michelle were very inviting at La Casa Blanca the first night. The next day, we enjoyed feeding monkeys on the beach and traveling to our Jungle lodge. Gary made sure at every step that we were having fun and were comfortable. At the lodge, we took a two hour jungle hike where we saw an incredible variety of spiders and bugs. There was also a transient huge tarantula sleeping at the lodge, which delighted us. After the day hike, we rested in hammocks overlooking the river and jungle and waited for sundown to take a night hike. Gary's keen eye allowed us to see creatures we would not have otherwise spotted. The rooms at the lodge were surprisingly comfortable, and afforded us nice beds and a hot shower. Despite heavy rains at night, we all slept soundly. The next day, we got up early to see native birds, then packed up our things and went to a chocolate and chicha demonstration. After that, we visitied the best butterfly center we have seen, It was truly beautiful. After seeing wooly monkeys and a very nice shore lunch, we went to an animal rehabilitation center. We were happy to hear about the center's mission to care for and, when possible, reintegrate species back into the wild. The tour was the best thing we have done in Ecuador, and it is all thanks to Gary. Friendly, funny, and caring, Gary knows an incredible amount about the culture, history, animals, plants and people of Ecuador. He always went the extra step for our family. We thank Gary and Michelle for being so welcoming, and wish them and their family the best.

Date of experience: June 2016
1  Thank Beth T
Michelle K, Owner at Gary's Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2016

Thanks for taking time to tell everyone reading these reviews about our tours and for the huge thumbs up! We enjoyed meeting your family and hope to see you again someday, !Muchas Gracias! Michelle and Gary

Reviewed June 3, 2016

We were trying to cram a lot in a short amount of time during our trip to Ecuador and we came across Gary's Overnight Jungle Tour. It was just what we needed! Gary provided so many wonderful experiences in his two full days with the overnight. We were extremely happy with the results. Several of the other short tours that I was considering had two nights in the jungle, but only limited activities for the days. Gary is very entertaining and informative and has put together a nice variety of activities. We kept busy but also had time to relax in the hammocks at the beautiful lodge overlooking the river perched high above the river. Our whole family enjoyed everything about this tour: the river transport, feeding the monkeys, sloshing through the jungle learning lots of new things and tasting ants, bird watching, amazing chicha and chocolate demo, a really cool butterfly farm with hatching cocoons, and an interesting visit to an animal rehab. All of this with a very amiable personal guide and wonderful accommodations and food. A huge thumbs up! We are only sorry that we did not have more time to linger and try some of his other tours. Thank you so much! We wish Gary and his family the very best.

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank Sylvia937
Reviewed March 6, 2016

I had a great experience on our firsthiurneyto the jungle with Juan as a guide. We drove by van to Misihaulla, and went to thepark to feed the monkeys. The monkeys are not exactly friendly . I would call them opportunists, so they steal hats, food, tried to get into my backpack, took a little bite on my husbands finger, and jumped on my shoulder to grab my bug spray. I would have like to have been prepared for this possibility. We went in a motorized canoe to explore the river. I brought the wrong clothes because it was a cloudy day, and the breeze from the river was kind of cold, surprisingly. I thought I would be really hot and humid, but the canoe had a shade covering it too. I loved the visit to the chicha and chocolate making demo, and the butterfly farm . The banks were steep and there was a possibility of slipping. I don't think I had the right shoes, but I didn't have an accident, but I would definitely would have worn sturdier shoes if I had known there were some steep banks. The lunch Michelle packed was really wonderful. And we finished with a visit to the Amazoonica rescue center. We were all a little tired. Y then. I think I would rather have had some more timely the river exploring some little side areas, lagoons, maybe slow down to see some birds, or animals, than go to the zoo. I really loved the river, and maybe spend some time fishing would have been more fun than the rescue center.

Date of experience: March 2016
Reviewed February 16, 2016

What an amazing day!!! My family was visiting from the states so we decided to go on a jungle adventure! We helped make chocolate and yucca, went to monkey island where we could see the monkeys pretty close in the trees, went to an animal refuge center, a butterfly farm and the highlight was having the monkeys climb all over us on the beach. Gary is fun, friendly, and he grew up in this area so he knows a lot about the the land, people and animals! His prices are very reasonable and you get transportation for the entire day and on the river along with a delicious lunch made by his wife!!! My family agreed that this was one of the best tours we have ever been on and we will be back to see Gary again soon for another tour!

Date of experience: February 2016