“A memorable and wonderful stay in Tena”
Review of La CasaBlanca

La CasaBlanca
Ranked #3 of 17 Tena B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We found this place through an excellent review in TripAdvisor. We were extremely happy with our stay. We stayed here for seven days. Hotel is very clean - room, bathroom and kitchen. This hotel was built only a year ago. Ecuadorian husband (Gary) is a tour guide and his American wife (Michelle) manages the hotel. Since Michelle is an American, I guess she built the hotel in an American style - tile floor, large bathroom, white wall, etc. The kitchen is very clean with a refrigerator, gas stoves, two kitchen sinks, several wooden tables, etc. We can also use their washer and drier for laundry. Gary and Michelle's hospitality made our stay more enjoyable. They went an extra mile to help us. At the night before coming to Tena, I had a diarrhea a few times. So, we decided to take a taxi instead of a bus from Latacunga. I called Michelle in the early Sunday morning. She called a few tax drivers and arranged a taxi for us. For our safe arrival, Gary called our taxi driver to make sure we are o.k. Since my Spanish is very limited, Gary made a ticket reservation for us for a Devil's Nose train ride. We took three tours with Gary (Motor canoe trip for chocolate and chicha making demo; Inflatable Kayak trip; Caving, zoo & waterfall). Gary was very professional and we very much enjoyed his tours. We recommended this hotel to our friends and definitely will stay here if we come back to Tena.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Michelle K, Owner at La CasaBlanca, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Hi, Thank you so much for the great review! We really enjoyed meeting you as well and look forward to meeting your friends. (And maybe the two of you again someday!) Enjoy the rest of your trip! Michelle and Gary

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was working near Tena for six months, and I had to come up to town every now and than, so I needed a place which would feel a little bit like home.
I was extremely lucky to have found La Casa Blanca. It is a very comfortable, clean and spacious hostel. But what makes it really really exceptional are the great hosts. Michelle and Gary were amazing - welcoming, helpful and caring. They immediately adopted me to the Casa Blanca family, and gave me a home away from home, which I really appreciated so far from my friends and family. It helps that they share all their knowledge of the city with you, tell you where to buy nice fruit and veg...and Michelle has even made an amazing cook book about how to eat all those Amazonian fruit you've never seen before.
There is good internet, and purified water in the whole hostel, which runs even during Tena's frequent water cuts.

Eventually, my parents, who are slightly more of a 'high end' travellers than I am, came to stay, and they loved it, too. They found everything up to the high hotel standards they are used to. Plus we did an amaizng 1.5 day tour with Gary, which ended up being a highlight of my parent's 3 week stay in Ecuador.

If you are coming to Tena, don't even think of staying elsewhere. You'd be missing out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Michelle K, Owner at La CasaBlanca, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thanks so much! We look forward to your return. Michelle and Gary

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have been in Tena many times and visited many hostels and hotels, but La Casa Blanca is seriously 10x better than any others! It is clean, save, and the staff is amazing. Gary and Michelle are so helpful and will go out of their way to assist you find tours or just general advice on the area. You would be crazy not to stay here while traveling through Tena!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We recently spent three nights with Michelle and Gary at La Casa Blanca, and it was perfect for our family, since we wanted a taste of the Amazon but did not want to be isolated in a jungle lodge days from civilization. The hotel is comfortable and nicely thought out, with everything a traveling family might need, including laundry, inexpensive breakfasts, food storage and cooking facilities. Gary's tours are interesting and entertaining, and we felt very safe under his wing. Michelle is friendly and enormously helpful, even willing to provide emergency medical attention when some in our group became ill overnight, for which we were hugely grateful. La Casa Blanca is the perfect spot for folks who want to experience a bit of the jungle without quite the full 'extreme' treatment! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Michelle K, Owner at La CasaBlanca, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thanks so much! We really enjoyed getting to know you and having your family here. We're sorry your kids got sick, it really was not any problem helping you out with them. We hope the rest of your trip went well!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I've been travelling for awhile and I normally don't write reviews, but the service at Casa Blanca went above and beyond the normal. The place itself is very clean and well designed, with everything you need (hot water, full kitchen even hangers in the wardrobe etc.). The best part of it, is Michelle and Gary and going out of there way to make your trip memorable. I'm travelling by myself, and had trouble getting groups together, but Gary was able to organize a 4 day private kayak course for me with his friend, and I also did a 5 day camping trip deep into the amzon, with another friend of his, which was epic. Also did a caving trip with gary which was great. I originally only booked for 4 days, but I think i stayed for 10 by the end of it. My trip to Tena was great mostly thanks to them.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Our trip via Tena was made specially memorable by the amazing hospitality afforded by Gary and Michele. Our welcome was such that it felt we had known them for years as real friends. They arranged an unforgetable Kayaking trip with lunch appetisingly displayed on the banks of the river and the professional way attention was given to safety did not take away the pleasantness of the experience and they even went the second mile to assist us to get to the bus stand when the taxi service failed us. Where will you get this? -just that added touch. The difference between the ordinary and the extra-ordinary is just that little "extra" and this is what we got at La Casa Blanca. We are from South Africa and only stayed one night, but wished we had more time there. Words can't realy do justice to describe how outstanding the place and the hosts were. Thank you Gary and Michele for your warmth and friendliness -surely your place must rate no ! in Tena. We will encourage anyone visiting your area to not miss out on a happy experience at La Casa Blanca.

Room Tip: Room 1 and 2 offer real value
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Michelle K, Owner at La CasaBlanca, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Hi Greg, We really enjoyed having you, your family and Sandra visit us here. It's great that you got to experience the Amazon a little before heading back home and we're glad you had such a great time kayaking. Thanks for the nice review! Michelle and Gary

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had no idea what to expect coming toTena but was luckily recommended the casa Blanca for a place to stay! I loved staying there with Gary and Michelle and am convinced it is the nicest place you can stay in Tena! Not only is it clean and and cool on a hot day, you immediately feel like you are at home and I was quickly adopted into the family by Gary and Michelle. It's so nice to be able to have a chat with them and they are only too willing to help you out with any questions you may have. I stayed at la casa Blanca for 4 weeks and could have stayed for longer! Having a kitchen allowed all of the people staying there to catch up over meals and saved a lot of money on food! I also loved that Michelle provided an introduction to the area with maps of where to go shopping and information on what activities you can do around the area (most of which Gary actually takes you on personally)! In my 8 months of traveling I never had someone invest so much time in me being comfortable!! Gary was even nice enough to help me with my Spanish!! I would recommend la casa Blanca if you are looking for a clean, friendly place to stay in tena and loved that Gary and Michelle were locals that could help organize anything last minute but also treated you as family.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo