“Home away from home”

Ranked #9 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Tena
Portland, Oregon
“Home away from home”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

La CasaBlanca is absolutely the best choice of accommodations in Tena. It is the perfect base to do all of your adventuring in and around Tena (and Gary is a great guide to take you around to do it all!). You cannot beat the price, amenities and hospitality. It has clean, bright rooms with hot showers, a full washer and dryer, and full use of the kitchen. But what really takes this place over the top is the way Gary and Michelle do everything they can to make sure your stay is the best it can be. I was covered in bug bites, they gave me itch cream. I got extremely sick and needed a doctor, they took me to their pediatrician and did everything they could to help me get better (including going to the pharmacy for me while I was bedridden). They provide an exotic fruit guide and a cookbook so you can enjoy everything Ecuador has to offer. They check in with you each day and give great advice. Michelle even contacted us before we came and helped us figure out the best way to get from the airport, travel around, etc. Overall, if you stay somewhere else in Tena, you are making a mistake.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Elicia B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Gary and Michelle, the owners are very, very nice. The even invited to feed us one night, and go to the market with them on a separate day. Gary speaks Spanish and Michelle speaks english. The wifi is just ok, there was a guy there downloading movies the whole time, sucking up all the bandwidth. They need to install a filter to stop people from doing that. Other than that, the water is very hot in the shower, and the beds were pretty comfy. There is a fan installed in every room for comfort, but we stayed there in the summer and it didn't get too hot, so we were fine. All in all, it was a great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank JonandIvy J
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We are digital nomads and planned to stay for one night at the CasaBlanca. We ended up staying for 8 days when we discovered that they had:

1) a brand new hotel (built last year and opened in Jan. 2013) with discounted weekly and monthly rates.

2) good Wifi

3) a laundry room with full size washer and dryer (for free!)

4) safe water straight from the tap due to a UV light and filter system they installed when building the house (!!). You can drink the water in the shower... crazy!

5) an amazing communal kitchen with 2 sinks, 2 stoves, food lockers... plenty of room for everyone to cook and store food. And with the clean water, cooking is easier!

6) an amazing set of local resources on restaurants, grocery stores, and things to do... They have collected restaurant menus so you can see your options. Recipe book with where you can buy the ingredients in town.

7) amazingly helpful owners (Michelle and Gary). Whatever we needed, they helped us with from ordering pizza delivery (!!) to setting up all our onward travel arrangements. They took us all out for karaoke one Friday night... They even decided to have a BBQ for fun one night so we all chipped in something and had a fun night roasting marshmallows and hot dogs!

The only potential downside to the CasaBlanca is that is isn't right in the middle of the action, but it's much quieter there, and the walk into the busier part of town only took us around 20-25 minutes. We actually enjoyed the chance to walk down an airport runway into town. If we needed to hurry into town, we just took a taxi for $1.25ish.

This is a place you can stop, stay for a while, go rafting, and get some work done (if you are a digital nomad).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kokusai
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I spent a night at la casa Blanca with my family, and we were all really impressed. Before we arrived I contacted Michelle for help planning our trip, and I was SO grateful for her help. She always responded quickly, she was extremely organized and thorough, and not only did she answer every silly little question I asked, she also provided helpful information and suggestions about transportation, what to expect on our visit, what to bring, etc. Maybe the best customer service of my whole life. Seriously. Michelle went way out of her way to accommodate us, and she did it so cheerfully, i barely felt annoying at all :) We went on a couple outings with her husband Gary as our guide who was fun and organized and helpful. Our rooms were spotless and lovely with high ceilings and wonderful huge warm perfect showers (which can be hard to find in South America). While we were there my husband and I agreed that if we were planning a long visit, la casa Blanca would be the ideal home away from home. The kitchen was big and equipped with everything you might need, and it felt very homey and comfortable. Just fantastic!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Lansing, MI
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at La Casa Blanca for 54 days. Gary and Michelle are very friendly and accommodating. They take their job seriously and want their guests to have a great experience. They were always willing to help you with finding your way around the area, finding the best places to shop and eat, and even show you how to prepare some local cuisine. The amenities are hard to beat. Filtered water, hot showers, WASHER AND DRYER, kitchen facilities, WIFI. I loved the beautiful view from the rooftop and the close proximity to Casa Feliz orphanage where I was volunteering. I had such a great experience there, that I will be staying there again when I return to Ecuador in October. Also, I will definitely be taking advantage of going on one (or more) of their many tours that they offer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Santa Cruz, Ecuador
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 weeks at Casa Blanca. Michelle and Gary and their lovely family made my stay perfect. The lodging is clean, Several amenities add to the experience. I was given advice on where to go to eat, where to shop. The kitchen has all the supplies to cook dinner or Michelle will help you order a pizza. I went kayaking with Gary. He is a great guide. I highly recommend that trip as well as several others that they offer. The owners are kind. They went above and beyond. 5 star experience.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great.