“Overrated and expensive for Tena”
Review of The Marquis

The Marquis
Ranked #4 of 32 Restaurants in Tena
Cuisines: Seafood, South American, Ecuadorean
Good for: Special occasions
Good for: Special occasions
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I went here based on the reviews of others, but I guess I hit a bad night. The steak I ordered was tough. The rest of the side dishes were just ok. The worst part of the night was that the owner was pretty rude when we didn't finish our meal. He couldn't believe it. He hung his head like someone died. My daughter had to translate his Spanish but he basically voiced his opinion on how he hated the one city in the US he visited which was Miami and he never wanted to visit again. What's the point of saying that to Americans? It was just an uncomfortable evening with him hovering over us and nit-picking over our food and others' orders as well. And the food was just average and expensive for Tena. I wouldn't go back.

3  Thank Traveler610

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I enjoyed a romantic dinner at Marquis Grille. It's a fancy restaurant for Tena, and we were excited to be there because our waiter was very friendly and the food was excellent (he ordered steak and I ordered shrimp). One thing that I was a little disappointed about was the fact that this restaurant is home to two sloths and no one informed us of that (it was obvious that we were tourists, after all). We didn't learn about the sloths until a group of friends went there a few nights later--even though my boyfriend and I missed it, apparently the staff was nice enough to get the sloths down from their "hiding places" and let some of our friends hold them and take photos of them. I'm sad we missed all the sloth fun, but that's yet another reason to go back to this restaurant. Very classy and elegant and overall very satisfying!

P.S. Another cool thing about this restaurant: you have to ring a bell outside in order to get inside!

1  Thank KPsRECs
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at the Marquis Grille. My wife had the langostinos and they were the biggest prawns I have every seen! They must have been 6-8 inches from end to end. Delicious too! I'm a vegetarian and there were a few dishes that would have been acceptable on the menu but when I asked, the owner gave me a number of other choices that weren't listed on the menu - I went for the fettucini with vegetables in Alfredo sauce. Again, it was really excellent - with lots of perfectly cooked veges along with some added seeds and nuts in a light alfredo sauce. Look carefully for the two sloths or ask the owner or wait staff where they are - we were completely surprised to see them toward the end of our dinner as they roamed the corners of the ceiling and walls overhead. Amazing sight! Yes - this is not fast food, so order a bottle of wine and relax - the wait will be worth it.

1  Thank anontraveler4747
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food is amazing!! Some of the best chicken fettuccine Alfredo I've had. My husband got steak & chicken with a baked potato. We both ate for $25!

1  Thank Jthompson129
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had a delicious lomo steak with vino tinto sauce, cooked perfectly. The side dishes were also tasty and interesting. This restaurant is really worth a visit! The chef is kind and helpful with explaining dishes to gringos with bad Spanish (like me)! No sign of the aforementioned sloth unfortunately.

1  Thank roadtripper2910