“The coffee is ok, but the staff is terrible.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Tortuga
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Tena
Cuisines: Cafe, International, South American, Ecuadorean
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Fight on the riverfront is Cafe Tortuga, a favorite foreigner hangout. This small cafe's charm comes from its attentive staff and simple, good food, including sweet and savory crepes, large sandwiches, soups, avocado stuffed with chicken or cheese, and beef chili. Many come for its yummy and filling breakfasts (served from 7 a.M.), While others come to cool off with an iced coffee, fresh fruit juice or homemade iced tea. There's free WiFi and a book exchange too. Monday-Saturday 7 a.M..-7 P.M., Sunday 7 a.M.-1 P.M.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The coffee is ok, but the staff is terrible.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The coffee was ok, but the staff added 5$ on my bill and expected me not to notice this. But if you order a coffee for 1.30$ and the guy asks you for 6.30$, who wouldn`t notice? So, if you go there, be aware that the staff steals!

Visited March 2013
LisbethA106, Owner at Cafe Tortuga, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Café Tortuga exists since nearly 8 years, I have the same staff working with me over several years and I never heard from any client an accusation like this one. I trust in my staff who is honest and correct. We also always look for a way to give forgotten things like pens, books, sweater even cigarette lighter etc. back to our clients. We are very honest people and I think this can confirm many of our clients who come to Café Tortuga. So I’m very sorry if there was a misunderstanding and I kindly ask you to contact me by phone 099 529 54 19 or e-mail: cafetortuga@yahoo.com to clear this circumstance. The staff in Café Tortuga surely don’t steal. Thank you. Lisbeth Allemann, owner of Café Tortuga.

• Finnish first
Shunan, Japan
“Good foods&good price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Well, we have to tell the truth, we really liked this cafe, first of all, nice place. very quite and along the riverside of tena. I ordered cappuchino and my wife ordered fruit juice and tortuga salad,, or sth like that. She loved the salad! It came with piece of bread. And everything was reasonable price. We sure will go back!

• Visited February 2013
Kristiansand, Norway
“Very good coffee and breakfast, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a nice breakfast or lunch option when in Tena, and it seems to cater mostly to foreigners. This was the only place in the whole of Ecuador that we found good coffee. The prices are reasonable, and they have good and fresh juice. The only negative is the service. The two times we were there the waiter hardly recognised that we were there, he did not even try to be polite or smile. We were even wondering if he could talk the first time we went there, when we came back it does turn out that he can talk. I would recommend this place, but dont expect any service, you may need to ask to get menu and go up to the cashier to order more or to pay.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Good food, very poor service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is the Lonely Planet`s pick of all the places to eat in Tena, so we went there with a suspicion of inflated prices. The fact is that we got a good value breakfast here which was prepared quickly, freshly made and good in taste. They have a wide variety of breakfast and lunsj items, some of witch sound mouth-wateringly good. I never got the chance to try the Cola with ice cream, but maybe you will !
The coffee is actually good here, which is saying a lot. We bought coffee in like 20 different places in Equador, and it always tasted horrible(water with coffee taste, or INSTANT coffee), but here they actually make decent coffee. I really appreciate decent coffee in the morning.
The decorations here are also quite cool; turtles everywhere

Now for the negative; Do not expect any sort of service here. Considering that the clientele is almost exclusively foreigners I find it weird that they don`t make any effort in that department.
After 2 days visiting the cafè we weren`t even sure if the guy working there could speak at all. He would show up with a grumpy face and without saying a word wait for us to contact him for a menu, or an order. There was never a smile or any sort of recognition that we even existed.

In any case; it is not a dealbreaker, just don`t expect a smile (or a talking waiter).

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Stiigen
Columbia, Illinois
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I got their pancakes, and iced coffee for breakfast one day. I had to go back for lunch because I loved their service and good food! They practically cook right in front of you with their entire kitchen in view, and the people were so nice. The second time I got one of their tradition burgers and it was delicous. I was told not to eat the lettuce, so I didn't, but one of our guys in the group did eat it, and he was fine. Overall, one of the top places to eat in Tena!

Visited March 2013