“De Doornkraal Boutique Hotel”

De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Riversdale B&B and Inns
Harare Zimbabwe
“De Doornkraal Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great Boutique Hotel with very friendly and exceptionally well trained staff
Its a gem of a find. The restaurant is exceptional and the quality of the rooms outstanding
All together a very well run establishment for very good value

Malcolm Pringle-Wood

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Christopher P, General Manager at De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your very kind review. I focus quite a lot of energy with regard the training of staff ... it is a very important ongoing process; in that we as a matter of policy are mindful of having real impact on the skill set development of folks who would otherwise not have the opportunity of a career in this industry if we did not take their development to heart.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here with a friend as a stop over between Stellenbosch and Botlierskop and was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful it was. The staff were all amazingly helpful and incredibly friendly, especially the owner who helped us out when our GPS had failed us. Everyone seemed to go above and beyond what was necessary and made us feel very welcomed. The food is also amazing, I booked the room with little research and turns out the owner is a chef and we had one of the best meals of our South Africa trip here. The place was really cute with a lot of charm, character and surprisingly large rooms. We really wished we had planned to stay here longer. If I'm ever in the area again, I will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It was a pleasure to be of assistance, I feel that we have a responsibility to make an impact on your stay as far as the overall visit to South Africa is concerned. I am always thrilled when guests mistake me for the owner; this means that I can tap myself on the shoulder for having an above average work ethic..
Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was part of a group of friends travelling to our 40th school reunion in our home town Riversdale. The accommodation was firstly placed in the most beautiful street in town, Long Street where the architecture of the era was found and restored lovingly. The accommodation was crisp, service efficient and the meals fantastic. Christopher the host and chef was charming and added to the wonderful experience. His herb garden is fantastic! my room was tastefully furnished, a good bed and very quiet for a good night's rest. I can really recommend this for all kinds of travel. Well done!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Your words of encouragement and congratulations were just wonderful to read ... Thank You so much. I take special care with regard the herb garden and use it also as a training tool for the young trainee and upcoming chefs that work with me; we quite proudly took delivery of a couple of heirloom seeds and have planted recently amongst others: Korean Mint, Cinnamon Basil, Lovage, Summer Savory, Sorrel, Greek Oregano and Tarragon. I intend to expand on my staff's repertoire by showing them the amazing thing that happens when adding tarragon to their Hollendaise ..... Voila Bearnaise !!!
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for 1 night en route from Capetown to Knysna. The service & rooms were very high standard & all set in lovely gardens. We had a wonderful meal in the evening all cooked by the 2 trainees as the chef was ill. It would have been nice to have lingered longer here but I would thoroughly recommend it as a stopover.

• Stayed March 2013
Christopher P, General Manager at De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
It was a pity to have missed you ... my mind was willing, however my flesh was weak. I was so terribly proud of my young chefs ... this was a great milestone for them; which boosted their confidence. I thank you so much for your complimentary review and have made sure that the team know how valued they are !!
Chippenham
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We discovered De Doornkraal by accident when we decided that Riversdale was an ideally situated nightstop after leaving Cape Town via Cape Agulhas for Port Elizabeth. The welcome from Chris, Vivienne and the staff was amazing and Chris even took time to help us out with a mobile phone problem in addition to his being the head chef and manager. Accommodation was very comfortable but the jewel in the crown was the restaurant and superb food beautifully prepared by Chris and perfectly accompanied with a 'home made' blanc de noir which must rank as one of South Africa's finest. Our only regret was we were only in for one night; however,De Dooornkraal will definitely feature on our next visit and we will ensure we stay longer and enjoy the local ambience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I thank you for taking the time of giving us such a nice review .... in this day and age I find that when you go beyond the call of duty; folks respond in such a wonderful way that it quite simply just makes my day. I hope to see you again sooner rather than later.
Staverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Lovely spacious room and our own lounge. Excellent meal in the retaurant. Peaceful gardens. Helpful, professional staff. Situated on a quiet road close to the centre of the town but as we were only there for one night we ate in so can't advise on other eating options - but you won't go wrong eating on site! Nothing to dislike about it at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I think that it was George Bernard Shaw who said, "There is no greater Love than the Love of Food". I thank you kindly for your compliments and it just goes to show that if you cook with love and passion with the finest possible ingredients .... it becomes very difficult to go wrong.
North Lincs
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Riversdale was just a 'staging post' for us, but we stayed for 2 nights. It was a slightly quirky experience, but we warmed to Chris Pappas and his staff, and the overall experience was really good. The hotel consists of several old buildings which have been restored with TLC to a high standard. The rooms seem to vary quite a bit, some have their own lounges, others are shared, and there were some separate, very nice, cottages. Lovely swimming pool set in a secluded spot of the main grounds. A really interesting a la carte menu, inspired by a very enthusiastic chef - like we said 'cool bananas'! (you need to stay there to get this...). Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for specific details
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ilaj99
I take great pride in the fact that folks often choose to stay with us to break a long journey and put quite a lot of emphasis on this fact with my team - I must say that if I let my imagination run amok; I picture the days of old when weary travelers got off of their stage coaches they thought of nothing much more than a good comfortable bed and a spiffy meal.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riversdale
Fynbos Guest House
#1 of 11 in Stilbaai
Lalani Bed & Breakfast
Lalani Bed & Breakfast
#7 of 9 in Riversdale

Been to De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!