De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Riversdale B&B and Inns
Chippenham
“A real gem!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We discovered De Doornkraal by accident when we decided that Riversdale was an ideally situated nightstop after leaving Cape Town via Cape Agulhas for Port Elizabeth. The welcome from Chris, Vivienne and the staff was amazing and Chris even took time to help us out with a mobile phone problem in addition to his being the head chef and manager. Accommodation was very comfortable but the jewel in the crown was the restaurant and superb food beautifully prepared by Chris and perfectly accompanied with a 'home made' blanc de noir which must rank as one of South Africa's finest. Our only regret was we were only in for one night; however,De Dooornkraal will definitely feature on our next visit and we will ensure we stay longer and enjoy the local ambience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Christopher P, General Manager at De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I thank you for taking the time of giving us such a nice review .... in this day and age I find that when you go beyond the call of duty; folks respond in such a wonderful way that it quite simply just makes my day. I hope to see you again sooner rather than later.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Staverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Lovely spacious room and our own lounge. Excellent meal in the retaurant. Peaceful gardens. Helpful, professional staff. Situated on a quiet road close to the centre of the town but as we were only there for one night we ate in so can't advise on other eating options - but you won't go wrong eating on site! Nothing to dislike about it at all.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I think that it was George Bernard Shaw who said, "There is no greater Love than the Love of Food". I thank you kindly for your compliments and it just goes to show that if you cook with love and passion with the finest possible ingredients .... it becomes very difficult to go wrong.
North Lincs
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Riversdale was just a 'staging post' for us, but we stayed for 2 nights. It was a slightly quirky experience, but we warmed to Chris Pappas and his staff, and the overall experience was really good. The hotel consists of several old buildings which have been restored with TLC to a high standard. The rooms seem to vary quite a bit, some have their own lounges, others are shared, and there were some separate, very nice, cottages. Lovely swimming pool set in a secluded spot of the main grounds. A really interesting a la carte menu, inspired by a very enthusiastic chef - like we said 'cool bananas'! (you need to stay there to get this...). Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for specific details
1 Thank ilaj99
I take great pride in the fact that folks often choose to stay with us to break a long journey and put quite a lot of emphasis on this fact with my team - I must say that if I let my imagination run amok; I picture the days of old when weary travelers got off of their stage coaches they thought of nothing much more than a good comfortable bed and a spiffy meal.
Surrey, UK
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at De Doornkraal for 2 nights on our tour from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (having also stayed one night on our 2012 trip). The main attraction was the evening meal provided by the Manager/Chef Christopher and his team - a nice bottle of very reasonably priced wine from their own vineyard is an added bonus. We had a very friendly welcome with coffee provided on arrival and the staff throughout were friendly and efficient. The accommodation was of a good standard and there is a very pretty garden with a pool. We travelled on from Riversdale to Robertson via the R323 and R62 which made an interesting and spectacular change from the N2.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Please forgive me, when I get so excited by the many return visits that we are currently experiencing. This is such a nod to what we are doing here - I hope that when you visit us again you will see improvements on your past visit. I feel that we have still a little way to go, especially with staff development - but am proud that my team that work with me are constantly improving their service and skill sets.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We would strongly recommend this hotel. On arrival we were welcomed with smiles and friendliness, which continued throughout our stay. The room, food and service were
excellent. The extra little touches like being introduced to staff were delightful and to hear
that all staff were treated as part of 'the team' admirable. We hope to return in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We all hope to see you again in the near future too .... sooner rather than later. I always let our team know that if I am the "Head", they are the spine - I am always moved when folks pick up on the relationship between ourselves. I think it merely contributes to smiles on dials and a better experience for all.
Tiptree, Essex
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Having had 4 days on a safari in Port elizabeth - then 3 days in Knysna and a golf trip to Pinnacle Point - my wife chose this hotel because we wanted somewhere to break the journey up on the ay to our final destination - Cape Town. she chose it mainly for the food\ restaurant facility. Originally we booked 1 room.
we arrived around 6:30pm and the welcome was good - and we were shown to our room which was very large and with a sitting room as well. we originally were to stay 1 night but my wife was not well, so we extended to 2 nights and the whole staff (especially Christopher the Chef) were concerned all the time with how my wife was - and genuinely wanted to make sure she was OK. Very nice.
Everything about this small, comfortable hotel was first-class - except maybe the bathrooms (don't expect a fancy chain hotel bathroom, it is good functional local decorations but just right for that) and no air conditioning in the room was a shame, but it was surprisingly OK with a large fan going (if a little noisy) .
Set in a quiet street full of Victorian buildings and gracious town houses, it is a reminder of a colonial age gone-by. The weather was hot when we arrived, 25C and the pool was inviting. The room was clean, cool and welcoming.
We ate in the restaurant on both nights and was excellent, both dinner and breakfast. Food was served under cover outside with a view into a shady orchard and herb garden that supplied the kitchen.
The staff were friendly and helpful and this is a good place to stay on the way to somewhere to break up the trip - and enjoy the food and wine.
We will certainly go back if we are in South Africa again.

Room Tip: We were in room 1 which was very large and included a sitting room.
1 Thank AndyBee
Your heading of the review that you posted made us all very proud. The thing is that when somebody is not well, I feel that to show that you care - may not be a cure but certainly takes the edge off a bit. I have researched the air conditioning issue and have elected to stay old school since we do try to keep our carbon footprint as low as possible - I am planning a new kitchen and part of this will be extending out solar powered heating on the roo0f of the new kitchen; which will also contribute to this policy. I also found that because of the design and layout of our buildings which are all renovated old girls - could possible take away from the aesthetics. I thank you so much for taking the time to write about us and am very honored.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

If possible, de Doornkraal has improved on last year's excellence. If anyone is looking to break the journey between Cape Town and
Plettenberg Bay or beyond, they need look no further. The Professor, Christopher and their staff have perfected the art of hospitality. The
welcome they give you is only exceeded by the service they provide. Unlike most brochures theirs accurately records exactly what you get.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Grahamboal
I am thrilled to have read your review and am happy to say to our guests who repeat visit, that we regard you as part of a family once you have stayed with us. I endeavor to constantly improve on our offering and expect that should you visit us again you will see that improvements are a ongoing part of our emergence strategy. No resting on laurels here - Keep Shining !!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riversdale
Albertinia Hotel
#1 of 11 in Stilbaai
Garden Route Game Lodge
Garden Route Game Lodge
#1 of 4 in Albertina

Been to De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!