“Oasis with yesteryear's values”

De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Riversdale B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I was thrilled to discover this gem; to think I always thought of Riversdale as just what one sees on the N2 (not to mention the speed traps). We were welcomed warmely and made comfortable from the get go. Dinner in the restaurant was absolutely superb, the Chef (Christopher - I think), doted on us as if we were long lost relatives. He even gave us a generous tasting of the wine that is produced from their vineyard, award winning I was told.

The rooms were comfortable and well appointed - this was a purrfect place to break our long journey through to Plettenberg Bay. Kudos !

Room Tip: We chose a cottage as they were a little more private, but got to see all the rooms - impressive !!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennifer M
DeDoornkraal, General Manager at De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

Thank you so much, for all your kind words.

I shall continue to work on meeting and exceeding guest's expectations.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

A wonderful place to stop for a break between Plettenberg Bay and Cape Town. So often a great place like this is missed because one travels throughout the town and only see places on the main road. Do turn off to Long street, to stay at this charming hotel or even just to have lunch or tea. it is well worth a visit

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank SueTravelLots
DeDoornkraal, General Manager at De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2011

I thank you for your time in reviewing us, we are constantly told by guests that (once they have found us), that they had never realised there was more to Riversdale than the N2.

I hope to think of myself as tirelessly continuing the concept of meeting and exceeding guest's expectations.

Christopher
Chef de Cuisine

Reviewed November 6, 2011

The Doornkraal offers quality accommodation in a quiet and relaxed setting, but the real surprise is the top chef that offers Waterfront cuisine at affordable prices – expect to put on weight so you can be reminded about the enjoyable meals that put it there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rory B

I am lucky to work for forward thinking principals, who allow me to spend a bit more on quality in the kitchen, but still offer value. Cooking for cash is an oxymoron, to me at least.

Christopher
Chef de Cuisine

Reviewed September 27, 2011

We arrived late at night looking for good accommodation and stumbled upon this gem.
The manager was extremely helpful and could not do enough to help us settle in and make sure we had everything we needed for the night. It was clean, comfortable and very tastefully decorated in a quiet and pretty part of the town.
Breakfast the following morning was well presented and of a high quality. We left feeling totally relaxed and rejuvenated.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank voyagerKnysnA

I remember you clearly ma'am, It is an important responsibility for me - especially for a lady traveling at night with younger folk, to be contactable and available late in the evening.

It was an honour and privilege to serve you - thank you for taking time to give us a review.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

A most beautiful venue, comfortable, relaxed setting and private - top quality accommodation, friendly service and superb food.

For me it to helped to relieve the stress of an intense international business trip.

I would highly recommend this boutique hotel for couples or families on vacation or as a venue for a business conference.

Room Tip: I viewed all he rooms which have been designed by an interior designer - they are of excellent stand...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SandraBuchanan
Christopher P, Manager at De Doornkraal Historic Country House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Success in helping to relieve your stress .... very often folks find us by accident or plan to turn off the national road once they arrive in Riversdale - thinking to take a break from traveling. I assure you that we continue to strive for excellence and never plan to rest on our laurels ... Thank you so much for taking the time to mention us.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

Excellent place! De Wingerdt Restaurant at De Doornkraal--- Chef Christopher Peppas provides excellent food, wine and service. We recomend strongly!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank semolic

I was honored to see that you took time to place a review on this site, especially since I am mindful that you have visited us in the past ..... here is to us being able to repeat the exercise with even more aplomb.

Reviewed March 3, 2011

Looking for a country hotel, then this is the one to stay in at Riverdale. Great setting and friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms are tastefully decorated. Being a big person I prefer king sized beds instead of a queen, that's my only reservation.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Hi there, I am most grateful for your comments and am happy to report that I have ensured that we are able to make up "Italian Beds" for much better comfort - I especially enjoy the challenge of acting upon any suggestions and this is how we emerge from visit to visit into a better deal for all.