“Food and service very disappointing.”
Review of The World's End

The World's End
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ecton
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Came for a meal last week. The food was average, the onion rings are to be avoided. Service was slack and at times rude. I ordered a bottle of Reisling, when someone finally returned with it I was asked "is this what you were on about?".

• Stayed: May 2013
TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

I am sorry that your experience on this occasion was not up to your expectations, we pride ourselves on good quality food and service so I am disappointed to read your review, I have addressed the issues you have raised and I am sure this was a one off situation.
I do hope that you will give us another try

Reviewed May 20, 2013

First impressions on arrival were good - large car park at rear of building and well appointed interior. Hotel rooms are in a building adjoining the main part of the hotel by covered walk way. Bedrooms are a good size and comfortable bed. We overlooked the car park to the rear and the room was very quiet. Great breakfast included with good choice of hot menu all freshly prepared.

Room Tip: Ask for room to rear to avoid traffic noise - although it didn't seem a particularly busy road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for posting such a positive review and we hope you visit us again soon

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Was here as a guest of another company. Easy to find on the edge of the village adjoining the main road.

Rooms are well appointed and quite spacious and set apart from the main building a connected by a short covered walk way. Nice powerful shower and the bed was comfortable. Free wi-fi in the rooms.

Restaurant was laid out well and although I didn't eat in the evening, there were no complaints over breakfast.

The bar is the other side of reception but only a short walk from the restaurant.

A small quirk is that there is a room off the bar area and through which you have to walk to get to the nearest toilets. This room had 3 settees in it and was very dark such that it almost seemed deliberately darkened and when I walked through their were three young couples in there and it almost seemed as if you were walking in on them.

Only other niggle and this was a bit of a bug bear was that in the room there is an emergency light that I guess comes on in the event of a power failure and that had a small but very bright green bulb in it that was far too bright when all the lights were off. I assume it was there just to make sure you knew where to find the exit in the middle of the night but it was several times too bright and when I asked others I was staying with they said the same.

So a note to the management - get it sorted!

But overall would stay there again but would bring something to stick over the light!

Room Tip: I don't think it matters as they are all in the same modern block to my knowledge.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for posting a review, we are always pleased to hear about guest experiences and we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at TWE on a long term basis simply because it was close to my work location. The original staff were fantastic, however a lot of them left last year. The management, standard of service, food and personal touch was lost almost over night. The rooms were sub-standard for the money and complaints ignored or met with abrupt and rude responses. In February I'd had enough and moved hotels for good. I also found out that the management of the Worlds End at Ecton used my debit card at the end of April without my consent or knowledge. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone, particularly business travellers. If you have to use it, the rooms are worth no more than £35 per night. I would recommend the Hilton, Northampton which is more expensive but has facilities and great service.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JonnyTR
TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

JonnyTR
Thank you for posting your review, I reiterate the comments made in our numerous email communications that if you had brought any issues to my attention then I would have attempted to resolve them. With regards to your card being charged, I refer you to the content of the email I sent to you explaining why your card was charged and I list the main points below....

I can confirm that you stayed with us on 11th & 12th February and left without paying your bill of £154.65 and on the 18th & 19th February you booked a room but did not show up.

Your card details were secured against each booking week on week so that we have a guarantee of payment should we require it. Your card was charged after numerous requests for payment were ignored for the £154.65 and £130.00 for the stay which you did not show up for.

You acknowledge in your email dated 20th February that the bill should be sent to your company for payment and after us continually chasing for this we activated the card guarantee so that we got payment for the services rendered.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

It's a place I have been meaning to visit for quite some time, we arrived at 7pm, and had predinner drinks,the entrance to bar is very pleasant and the decor modern with a twist of traditional Character with a large sumptuous settee where we parked ourselves, service was swift and we chose our food, my wife had scallops, and I had the pate and we other had the ribeye steak with bearnaise sauce, and our daughter had the risotto, service was good from the young staff, but if I'm been critical a little clumsy at times , but this added to the charm of the place, the scallops were cooked perfectly and my pate was delicious, the steaks were so tender, and the sauce was superb, and the risotto was cooked as it should be, all the food is fresh, and there is some serious chef skills going on in the kitchen.
To summarise, what I like about this place is they are not being pretentious, it's a great cosy pub, and hotel, with friendly staff, great food and fabulous location, it's not the cheapest but it's good value for money, and makes a change from the branded chains out there, more importantly would I go back? Absolutely!

Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your kind comments we always strive to have friendly staff, decent food giving value for money

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We celebrated a friends birthday at the hotel, we booked a room with evening meal, the meal itself was OK even though a bit confusing and muddled as there were a few meals being served at the same time, we did have to keep asking for things (steak knives, changing drinks), the rooms were not up to standard, the carpet was stained, dust, more like draped curtains on bedside lights, the toilet could have done with a scrub, breakfast was a bit of a shambles, had to keep asking for bowls cups and orange, apologies given- they never had any vinegar!! would have been upset had I had to pay £95.
There is a lot of room for improvement on all levels, from the food to the rooms and better organisation of staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and can assure you that they have been dealt with

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This a nice pub come hotel in a good location. The room was comfortable but nothing special. We had quite a wait for our breakfast and the dining room was not too busy. The hot water (for tea!) ran out as did the coffee. The toast came pre buttered which was a little unusual! The staff were pleasant even when a party of four were a little demanding! We paid on arrival but this was queried on checkout as no one had "updated" their system. All little things that would not take much to rectify. Can someone tell me why some hotel rooms have a little green light on the emergency lighting, it's amazing how bright they are in the darkness of the night :-( When checking out we came across the party of four again and had to wait for ten minutes while they seemed to query EVERYTHING on their bill, full marks to the lady dealing with them for not loosing her cool, I would have! As I say this was a one night stop for a wedding in the area and I was not expecting luxury, good job really.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, I will pick up on the points you raise to ensure we can improve

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ecton
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
#1 of 1 in Chapel Brampton
Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre
Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre
#17 of 27 in Northampton

Been to The World's End? Share your experiences!