All reviews swimming pool tatami area guided tour buffet breakfast changing area train station beds were very comfortable deluxe room japanese style souvenir shops hot springs checking in gero onsen wonderful onsen the river hida beef gym
Selected filters
Reviewed February 8, 2019 via mobile

To be honest I am sort of confused why I would choose this Ryokan at the begining, and it also taught me a lesson not to trust the ranking too much.

It has been a while Since I last wrote a review, this ryokan really has to be that bad to motivate me. I stayed at more than 30 onsen regions and 100+ ryokan, this one is definitely the worst I have ever been, even worst than the local guesthouse.

To start with, there are just too much, maybe its easier for me to make a little list for some of them( i cant write down all as it is just worst)
- havent seen a parking assistant would try to shout and order in an annoyed attitude, still do not get a clue on the reason
- left unattended for more than half an hour at the lobby
- small and smelly room
- no any explanation was given by the staff( save the language barrier thing, at other hotels i sayed though they are not able to communicate in english at all could still use body language, the staff here wont even try
- staff is not friendly at all, which is one of the most important feature in japanese ryokan
- staff being late for meals
- pathetic arrangement
- havent been waiting 5 lifts and still not be able to get in
- tragedy service( no help at all inside room, like the basic luggage moving)
- none is trying to keep the order inside the onsen, people wearing clothes/shoes/ swimming inside, disgusting
- no wifi in room
- gym, pool and the massage chair arent free
- will expressed for viewing the fireworks in room, and was assigned the only one room at the floor with opposite direction, any other room is in right direction
- tons of people inside onsen and ruining the order, not a chance to enjoy nor relax at all
- freezing inside the lift
Im sort of tired into typing now...

I believe the only good thing for this ryokan is they really has quite a lot of art things, like painting and vase and glasses and so on. Yet those is definitely not enough for the price it requested, i cant imagine paid 70,000+ for an experience like this, even sone ryokan under 10,000 cpuld do a better service. In the past it maybe bad for foreigners, good for japanese, yet for today I am confident to say its tragedy for foreigners, worst for japanese.

In brief, if you stayed at ryokan before, you know the above listed things are simply unacceptable even for 20,000, let alone 70,000. If you havent stayed at ryokan before. Do not come here as it would be a nightmare and destroy the fame and tradition of Ryokan.

Terrible nightmare.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank KPaladin
Reviewed January 4, 2019

This is a large Japanese Ryokan:-) It has four restaurants (plus lobby lounge and a noodle shop), three bath and multiple halls with in-hotel store and gaming machines -- while still maintains the Japanese Ryokan style. We choose to have breakfast and dinner in our room and service was typically Japanese -- impeccable and food was great (especially the hida beef, which is a staple if you are in Gero).
While some may regret that the hotel has too many guests, I still find enough space for relaxation, even during the new year period. My advice is to use have meals in-room to avoid the crowd. The baths are large enough to accomodate all guests so I never have any problems.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2018 via mobile

Great hotel! We stayed in the deluxe room and it was very spacious, with a separate area with chairs, balcony with chairs, a separate changing area, mini pantry and separate toileting and shower area. Dinner in room was 9 course and very extravagant. Buffet breakfast was great too with plenty of western and japanese selection. 3 onsens was too much, we only stay one night and had to try all 3. Even dessert at lobby cafe was good, tried the parfait and it was yummy. Staff was very attentive, friendly and helpful. Overall very nice stay.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2018

The Suimeikan in Gero is an enormous hotel complex with three different areas. Our room was spacious by Japanese standards and the beds were very comfortable. We had a separate toilet and bathroom as well as a tatami area. We didn't have a river view but our view of the street and surrounding shops was quite pleasant. We were picked up from the train station in the shuttle although it really is only a few minute walk from the hotel to the station. The staff were incredibly professional and friendly and took us for a tour of the facilities when we checked in. There are three amazing onsite onsens - our favourite was the outdoor one. There is also a gym and a pool. i'm not sure about the gym, but we found out that you had to pay to use the pool which I found a bit annoying. It's a decent size pool but given that it's heated to 30 degrees we probably wouldn't have wanted to swim in it anyway. We didn't have dinner or lunch at the hotel as the restaurants were over priced but we did enjoy the buffet breakfast which was included in our room price. The hotel is in beautiful gardens on the river and a short stroll from the station and from the town centre. The staff were very helpful ringing our next hotel for us and arranging for us to go to the station a bit earlier than the scheduled shuttle to ensure that we didn't miss our train. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Suimeikan.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2018

I chose Suimeikan because of its high rank in some Japan hotel reviews and we spent 2 nights in 2 rooms there and was disappointed. First, the rooms are dated, which is okay because I can see the facilities are although well maintained, but the bathroom taps and faucets are very dated and need serious updating. Especially the shower taps, is so difficult to operate that my wife almost burnt herself when taking shower.
Second, we were very much surprised to see that the rooms were cleaned but the tatami sheets and quilts were left what they were after the night?! We had stayed in other ryokans and the tatami beds are always collected during the day and re-made during the dinner time.
Third, about the meals, we booked half boarding including breakfast and dinner. The quality is ok though not the best ryokan meals we had. I went to front desk before the last dinner and wanted to add miso hida wagyu course. I asked if the portion of the dish is enough to share between 2 person but the reception's English is not good to understand me so I ended up ordering 4 ports which eventually killed our dinner because it's just too much and we could have just share with 2 portions.
In the end I feel the ryokan is just good for local Japanese travellers.

Date of stay: June 2018