See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2018

Stayed for one night en route to Shirakawa-go. This traditional onsen hotel is located mid-hill so the rooms can get a good view of the river running through Gero. Service is top notch as in all onsens. Only a few staff could speak English though. Our room was quite old and there was no amenities in the bathroom at all, so we had to go down to the public bath even if we just wanted a quick shower without hot spring. Hotel offers free pickup and drop off service to JR station which was great.

Overall it was an enjoyable stay but I think there might be other better options in Gero with the same price.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2016 via mobile

Booked the room with the private onsen. It was so relaxing. The balcony overlooked the town with a stream running thru. Great view to wake up to. My booking came with breakfast and dinner and the food was fantastic. It was a good break after a long week of shopping. Do remember to head out early, becuasr travel takes some time, i headed over from tokyo and it took around 5 hours. Otherwise, it was enjoyable and relaxing.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2016

Stayed for one night with dinner and breakfast and a private onsen session included.

I have to say their service was top-notch! The driver and other attendants don't speak much English but they made sure everything was fine with me. Food was great. I was allowed to pick two mushrooms before entering the dining area. The one the shuttle bus driver chose for me was the best I ever had. I was a solo traveller and assigned to a table with lots of privacy, which took away all the embarrassment I could have felt amid other couples and families.

A trip to Gero is never complete without onsen. The onsen in this hotel was also excellent. Large pool and nice view. An unforgetable first for me!

There were a few delightful surprises. After dinner, I found a bottled sake in my tatami room. And even better was I made friends with Yuta, a guy I met during breakfast. He's as pleasant and friendly and cheerful as all other staff in the hotel. And he speaks English quite well and we had a very happy chat!! This is his last month with the hotel and I wish him all the best. Hope some other travellers will have the luck to meet Yuta and all other wonderful people in this hotel.

Shuttle bus available! But it's a short walk from the JR station anyway.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2015

Gero is a great place to stay for a couple nights. It's a traditional-style Japanese hotel, which is one of the reasons why I decided to stay here. I slept in a Japanese-style room; in the evening, the futons and pillows were neatly set up and laid out on the floor by the hotel employees. The room is pretty sparse but, assuming you'll be out for most of the day, it doesn't really matter. Our room had a balcony with a beautiful view of the town below, the river and the nearby mountains. The best way to end the day is to go to the hot spring to relax and go for a good soak. Upon entering the hotel, you'll be provided with a yukata, which is basically like a kimono but super casual. You should wear this after you get out of the hot springs. If you're not a fan of hot springs, your hotel room should have a bathroom with a shower. The restaurant is also amazing (you can handpick mushrooms)! It offers a 3-4 course dinner (and it was superb).

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The staff here were very attentive, and the dinner I had was great.

Lot's of meat and we got to hand pick our shiitake mushrooms which were so good on the grill.

We used the hot springs many times and could thoroughly relax and forget about worries while here.

One thing I want is to be able to use the coffee machine up until check-out. It stops at 7:30, that's strange.

Date of stay: April 2013