“Nice food, poor service”
Review of The Wooden House - CLOSED

The Wooden House
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Contemporary, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated in the heart of Kilmore Quay, The Wooden House offers great food in a relaxed atmosphere. Naturally seafood is at the heart of our menu making the most of the local ingredients, however there is plenty of options on the menu to keep everyone happy from scones to steaks. We are open from 12.30pm everyday with live music on the weekends to keep you entertained until the early hours. We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We all enjoyed our meals, however, our water jug had a thin brown layer of scum on one side, our dinner plates weren't cleared until after our coffees were brought down, and all four tables around us were left uncleared for the entire duration of our visit, well over an hour... The staff wernt overly attentive , but relatively pleasant. A dissappointing visit, for the nice food we had, the grubbiness of the place really took away from the enjoyment of our meal, and wouldn't consider any of us overly critical or fussy, nice enough food though.

1  Thank chocookie

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We went here on a Groupon Deal, which was two nights bed and breakfast, one evening meal and a glass of wine each on arrival. On arrival we went to what turned out to be the bar come restaurant. We were asked to wait and take a seat while they sorted a room. This wasn't a problem as we had arrived early. We ordered two coffees and when I went to pay these were passed off as complimentary, which was a nice gesture.
Soon we were offered our accommodation, which was one of the apartments just behind the main building. Our accommodation was a sparse but bright clean room with wooden floor. The only gripe we had were the toilet seat in the bathroom was loose and came off! However, when we complained within a few minutes a couple of the young but professional staff replaced it completely, to our amazement. The bathroom while small was extremely clean and the shower was a good electric shower. There was a wall heater as opposed to radiator and this was fine. Our only other minor gripe would be there was not enough space to hang up or store garments. However, the apartment was clean and we had a decent view of the sea.
For dinner we went to the bar come restaurant. Right away the good lady noticed the hake with a beautiful sauce. The piece of fish that arrived was a good size and in many restaurants we have been to would have almost been used for two portions. The skin was crisp and the fish exquisitely cooked. I had a morsel of it and it was wonderful. I had the curried chicken, which came in a bowl and had a slight sweetness with a good kick. I like my curries and while not of an Indian type it was nonetheless a nice curry with massive chunks of moist chicken. I was not going to be outdone and asked for a spoon. I had rice as my accompaniment and the boss lady had the chips, which were proper cooked homemade ones, crispy and fluffy in the inside, just as your mammy would make! This had been preceded by starters of which she had potato and leek soup and I ordered the seafood cocktail, in other words a prawn cocktail. The prawns were plentiful and plump and juicy, the salad beautifully crisp and the sauce was to die for. I have had many a prawn cocktail in so called high class establishments but none ever tasted as good as this. It was that good I would have gladly stuck my face in the glass to lick round it. Superb! For dessert we had a berry crumble, which came in a tart base accompanied by vanilla ice cream. The expert crumble taster whooped with delight and I knew that we had hit a winner. We received our two free glasses of wine and these were ample. I would say they were a chardonnay and if this was the house white the choice was excellent. This meal was part of the deal. We were given a bill and setting aside this was rectified quickly, I had a sneak preview of it and nearly fell of my chair as it was a mere 58 euro!!! I would gladly hijack this restaurant and move it to Belfast on wheels!
The second night I had the same starter and the good lady had veggie soup and both were nice. This time though I had the fish as did Mrs. Boss Lady. The sauce that accompanied the fish was a garlic base and was beautiful and not overpowering and just right so as not to kill the taste of the fish.
I couldn't have dessert as I was full, but opted for an Irish Coffee and like a big baby Mrs. had jelly and ice cream. She had a pure orange and I also had a pint. This time we had to pay and it was around 55 euro. If the staff ever waken up in Belfast, well my desire will have come true as above!
Breakfast in the Wooden House was cooked to order and there was a decent offering of cereal and fruit juices.
Last but not least was the friendliness of the staff. They engaged in a friendly manner and were up for a bit of conversation and craic. The staff really worked hard and nothing was a problem.
We will hope to return soon and the beer was good too.;-)
Thanks guys for a great stay and if all staff were as pleasant and as efficient as this in Ireland we, would be the destination for sure in Europe!

2  Thank Trevor T
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Only back from two nights have to say the nicest staff I have come across in a long time nothing is a problem asked for sea view room got it no extra charge dinner here was excellent seafood chowder for starters monk fish for main and stickey toffe pud for desert a lovely meal breakfast was great to looking forward to returning

2  Thank Barbaramark50
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Myself and my wife stopped here for our Sunday lunch after a visit to Kilmore Quay. The restaurant section of the bar was quite busy but we were lucky to get a seat in the window which gave us a lovely view down the village. I had the roast beef with vegetables which was cooked to perfection and my wife had goujons of lemon sole which was presented beautifully and tasted just as good. We shared dessert, a Guinness chocolate cake which was very nice.The girl who served us was very friendly and helpful giving us great advice on the menu.
Overall a great meal in comfortable surroundings, we will definitely be back.

3  Thank Paddy S
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed for 2 nights B & B (8th to 10th of october) at the Wooden House Bar & restaurant in lovely Kilmore Quay. We were 'put up' in the Apartments at the back of the Bar. The room was pleasant, bright & clean and fairly well appointed. The breakfasts (full Irish) were gorgeous.

But where the Wooden House really scores (apart from good value)....is in it's staff. Every one of the staff that dealt with us....were pleasant, courteous and very friendly. From the guy serving us our breakfasts, to the bar staff & the cleaners...they were all a lovely bunch of people.

We will definitely go back there. Wooden House Bar and the staff....please take a bow!

4  Thank Tim O O