“Frustrating experience”
Review of Osteria La Porta

Osteria La Porta
Reserve with
Osteria La Porta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The tavern is located in proximity of the entrance door of Monticchiello, a nice medieval village near Pienza.With its few places (it is better to reserve), it proposes an elegant room, furnished with taste in typical tuscan style, it is comfortable and familiar. The courtesy and the professionality of the owner, Daria, young and passionate sommelier, are an optimal guide in the choice of the plates and the wines. During the beautiful season it is possible to eat in the terrace, enjoying a wonderful sight on Pienza, the Val d'Orcia and the Amiata.Accommodation in Monticchiello- The residence "Il Torrino" is a panoramic apartment obtained from the restauration of an ancient tower belonging to the boundaries of the medieval suburb Monticchiello. The structure, in proximity of the principal access to the village, has been completely restructured from the owner with taste and scrupulous care of the details. At guests' disposal a double room and a living-room with couch-bed and TV; panoramic view on Pienza and the Val d’Orcia. The prices for the weekly stay change according to the season and are comprehensive of heating, final cleaning, household linen. For briefer stays contact the owner.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I arrived there on a lovely sunday, early afternoon, hoping to eat outside. There were several tables open but they wouldn't seat me there, claimed they were reserved (but the hour + I was there no one showed for them). I got stuck eating inside at a table where all of the meals were passed through a little pass-through door, so constantly having servers right there. I got the sense they didn't want to be bothered with a single diner.
Shortly after I was seated, a two-top left, and I looked at the man who seated me in the hopes he'd move me out there, but he didn't. Instead, two other people arrived and buttonholed him to it out there, claiming they'd not be there long, only wanted a coffee. So they sat them there instead! They were there long after I left, so it really irritated me and took away from my enjoyment of my meal.
Food was decent but overpriced. I think I'd have enjoyed it more had I not been shunted off to an indoor table by the pass-through, to be honest.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,691)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We ate here on recommendations from where we were staying. Of all the places we've eaten in our two week trip through Italy, this is our favorite! Quaint ambiance with 5 star chef and wine steward. Make sure you have reservations. If it is good weather, eat on the terrace. It was raining for us, but the inside seating was romantic. We had superb guinea fowl, chick pea soup, roasted potatoes, and beef cheeks. They knew it was our 25th anniversary and surprised us with beautifully prepared dessert. LOVE!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Great food and excellent service. it's in a little town 10 minutes from Pienza. It's nice change from the better know towns in the area, so no crowds. That said, it's important that you make a reservation. We went to the restaurant serval times and it was always packed.

Also, make sure to go early and watch the sunset. There is a beautiful view just outside of the restaurant. You can also book a table outside but there are only 2 or 3 that have a view.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Having lunch here was one of the highlights of our trip. Excellent food, excellent presentation, and warm friendly hosts.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stopped at Osteria La Porta for lunch based on TA reviews. We had not booked, but the manager still found us a table in the beautiful terrace despite being very busy. She was happy to suggest some great wines by the glass to go with our lunch. The food here is decadent and very rich; we could only manage sharing a main after the lovely, fresh starters. It is clear they put a lot of effort into the quality of all the produce they serve. Only gripes if I had to was that service was a bit slow (then again it was Italy!) and it was more catered to tourists.

If you are in the area, make sure you visit.