“Beautiful Venue, Friendly Staff & Amazing Food.”
Review of Plough & Harrow

Plough & Harrow
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Aldridge
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: An idyllic retreat set in beautiful country house-style surroundings,The Plough & Harrow serves a menu of gourmet European recipes. Trained in high-class cookery schools in Spain and Italy, the chefs bring a wealth of experience, and demonstrate knowledge of a breadth of classic and complex cooking techniques. Partnering with Rothschild wine merchants, guests can choose a bottle from the well-stocked cellar.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have used the Plough & Harrow for many years under several different managers but have rarely eaten there. Now it's under new management and we have noticed changes all around the premises, nothing major but just those little touches that make all the difference, things like moving the host station near the front door so that you are welcomed upon arrival, burning candles to give an ambient atmosphere and keeping the open fires burning now the weather has changed. All these things add to a more friendly and cosy experience.In addition we were hearing great things about the restaurant and the food so decided to book ourselves a table to see for ourselves. From start to end our experience here was first class! From the friendly arrival at the door, to the welcoming bar staff, on to the professional and attentive waitresses. The menu itself was extensive and the quality of the food served to us was second to none. We cannot fault our visit here and will definitely be going back for more!
We would have no hesitation in recommending the Plough & Harrow to anyone. Whether its a special occasion or just a treat to yourselves, what a perfect venue. Thanks to all the management and staff, we appreciate you all.

Plough H, Manager at Plough & Harrow, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thankyou for writing to us about your experiences at The Plough and Harrow.
I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your time with us and will be returning.
I have personally passed on your review to both the front of house and kitchen teams, we are all looking forward seeing you again soon.

Many Thanks
Assistant Manager

Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you are tired of the usual pub/restaurant chains which proliferate in suburban Birmingham, then I can highly recommend this place. I've been here several times now and each time the food has been excellent. It is more expensive than those other restaurants but you get what you pay for: the quality is very good and the menu offers something a little more individual without being so different as to put off any regulars of those other places. The service is always very good too. It is always busy but well worth the wait for a table.

Dear Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to write in about your experiences with us at The Plough and Harrow. I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your recent visits with us.The team at The Plough and Harrow take pride in making sure that our guets experience are enjoyable and memorable, your comments have been passed onto the team and we are all looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Many thanks
Assistant Manager

Reviewed October 23, 2013

23/10/13/ 12.15 pm / We have visited this restaurant on many occasions over the years including xmas day and this visit has put me off visiting ever again !!
On arrival the bar person ( blonde girl )tried to sit us in the bar area. No restaurant please !
Sat at table to be greeted with stale water with dead carnation in ! The water smelt offensive and had to ask to have it removed from the table.STAGNANT !!!
We were asked if we wanted drinks of which we ordered at that time. My husband asked for several ales that where all off and were told the pumps were being cleaned . What establishment cleans theirs pumps at service time ??
We were told the waiting staff would be with us shortly ! Ok 30 minutes later a young man arrived who took out order. We questioned the ale being off and was told another ten minutes till ready (time now past 1300)we ordered ale for my husband.
We noticed complimentary bread was given to a table near by of which the blonde bar person said it was complimentary to the customers.We waited for ours to arrival so questioned the male server who stated we didn't do complimentary bread anymore. So after explaining what we had seen and heard we were given the bread ?!?! ( at same time as starter) Whats going on here no staff communication !
The starter arrived 25 minutes later taking into consideration the restaurant was very quite for a Wednesday lunch.
Bland squid with a garlic flavoured mayonnaise and not what was stated on menu.
30 minutes till next course. My husband had gammon ( cant go wrong there) I had the mushroom, feta tart with salad. The crust was burnt the cheese curdled. Un- edible. I told the waitress who said she would inform the chef but just continued to reset tables.
We informed her that my main was the worse main I had ever received in this establishment and would not be paying for it. She said she would sort it but instead ignored us. The matter was dealt with by the male server who took it off the bill.
Did I mention my husbands ale arrived 10 minutes prior to us completing our meal.
What a total circus of dis-organisation, poor service and appalling food. Please don't use the excuse that the menu changed two weeks ago and everyone was unsure ! This is the explanation we were given ! We are disgusted and appalled and I hope people save their money who search on trip adviser for reviews.

3  Thank Alyssalou
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I went here with my wife having never been before and had heard from friends how good it was, well I have to say we had a fantastic meal and the service was also first class. I dont understand the few negative reviews I read on TA before going ? We will definately be going back and if your in the area I would definately give it a try. Some may say its a bit pricey but you only get what you pay for ! If you want a burger or two meals for a tenner then go somewhere else....but if you want to take your partner somewhere special then give this a try. Well done to all the staff : )

Plough H, Manager at Plough & Harrow, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at The Plough and Harrow. I am very happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed yourselves and will be returning. I have passed on your comments to both the kitchen and front of house staff, we are all looking forward to seeing you again.

Many Thanks
Assistant Mananger

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Came here for Sunday lunch, hadn't booked but plenty of tables and we chose to sit in the bar area rather than restaurant as the tables were a bit crammed in. Personally I like the decor although the friends I was with were gay so not too keen on the naked pictures of women in the toilet! The food is very expensive for pub food. Starters over £10 and really only enough for one (we expected them to be more sharing dishes as were things liked baked camenbert and antipasti). The antipasti portion was very small and the camenbert was very mild, was quite lumpy and the onion relish looked a bit incipid. The mains very ok but around £14 each and just not up to that standard. It was the kind of roast I would pay half that for as nothing special apart from the gravy which was very rich. There was hardly any so I asked for some more. The beef was quite tough and overdone. As we were sat in the bar area we were rather neglected when it came to knives, forks, condiments and clearing up. The knives and forks were just piled on the table. We never got a spoon for the veg which was a very small portion between two. The pasta was ok and the burger was ok... It's just not worth the kind of prices they ask for. We had two desserts - chocolate Brownies which were nice. Keeping in mind we had two starters, 4 mains, 2 desserts, a bottle of wine and a few beers the bill was nearly £200 for four of us for an average Sunday lunch!

1  Thank Helen S