“We will be back”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kollam
Sarovaram Ayurvedic Backwater Health Centre
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Kollam
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Before we took a final decision and packed our backpacks, we made quite a thorough internet research to find an ayurvedic resort according to our wishes:
a traditional ayurvedic centre (not spa)
not (too) touristy place (not crowded with people)
an ‘ayurvedic family’ run place with long tradition
an excellent ayurvedic doctor
quality treatments adjusted to individual needs
natural green and peaceful surroundings
cute natural huts (not a hotel)
vegetarian food
not too expensive.
Sound as a Heaven?
Indeed.
And we found it here on Earth.
In Kerala, at Sarovaram ayurvedic resort.

This is an ayurvedic resort with a long tradition, managed by dr. Kiran, who is the third generation in his ayurvedic family (his father is running an ayuvedic factory, producing many ayurvedic medicines used in Sarovaram resort). Dr. Kiran is a great highly professional doctor, you feel you can trust - as a doctor and as man also. You find him soon just the way he is saying, treat me not only as a doctor, but as your friend :-)
Treatments are carried out by professional and kind stuff, and adjusted to your needs and reactions of your body, and you can feel a difference soon, day by day. The peacefulness of the resort at the lakeside, where there are welcomed max 20 guest at the same time (there are just a couple of traditional cottages), the vividness of nature with a great variety of plants and sounds of birds … what a place to relax! And to purify and rejuvenate your body, and not physical only. We enjoyed a lot. And Sarovaram soon became our home away from home :-)
Not to forget the food - it was very delicious and diverse and healthy also, we just loved it. And many non-vegetarian guests there also.

Are you browsing to find your ‘holidays heaven’ to stop this hectic way of life, as we did a couple of weeks ago? Maybe our experience could help you. And maybe we meet in Sarovaram, as we will be back for sure :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jernej L

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I had a serious blockage in my sinuses for seven years before my arrival at Sarovaram. I was beginning to lose hope that it would ever improve. After 8 days of treatment, Dr. Kiran himself took me to an ENT in the city where I had a CT scan and nasal endoscopy done, these confirmed that after only eight days of treatment my infection had been hugely reduced. Now a week or so after my departure my health improvement appears to be continuing. I disagree with the reviewers who were dissatisfied with their treatment and claimed it was 'not real Ayurveda', I cannot imagine a more effective treatment for my overall health's improvement. I was skeptical and hopeless and my experience surprised me completely. The staff is simply the best, totally kind and sweet. Food was amazing. I miss it! I lost like 10 pounds as well after 14 days (yoga every day helps a lot with that) and my body looks and feels very different. I will be back to this amazing retreat center with my favorite friends. Thank you again Dr. Kiran and everyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank goshalaseva108
Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you are looking for a quiet place to relax and take care of yourself you will not regret it. All team members are available, helpful, smiling, listening at any time of the day. The quality of Ayurvedic massages, done by experienced therapist, exceeded all my expectations, I arrived tense, stressed and went away relaxed, refreshed and relaxed.
The ayurvedic meals, all vegetarian, cook every day by the Chief are delicious and made me discover a varied and amazing cuisine consists of an incredible number of flavors.
The setting is superb: near a lake in a quiet place with a beautiful garden.
The atmosphere is relaxed, the other spa-goers are discreet, quiet and respectful.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 3, 2014

It was by coincidence that I ended up in at Sarovaram after reading the review on line.. one is always skeptical when reading reviews but it turned out to be a very good treatment and a valuable experience , the staff and owner are really qualified and care .. this place is the real deal in a quiet and beautiful set up for a very reasonable price .. I will come back for more .
thanks you Doctor and the Sarovaram staff !!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Carlo V
Reviewed February 16, 2014

After many years of longing to go to Kerala and to experience Ayurveda first hand, our stay at Sarovaram was more than we could have ever hoped for. The lush surroundings in the Kerala Backwaters, the friendly and attentive staff, and the rejuvenating and professional Ayurvedic treatments made for an unforgettable experience. The excellent vegetarian meals were shared in the open-air dining room with interesting people from India and around the world. After an arduous year, the benefits of the calm and restorative atmosphere were undeniable. We now understand why people return to Sarovaram year after year, and we hope to do the same and stay for even longer next time. Paul and Patrick

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We originally planned to stay for three days at Sarovaram with the idea it would be a nice relaxing introduction to our holiday. In the end we stayed for ten, discovering the power and comprehensive healing of Ayurvedic medicine.
Sarovaram is overseen by doctor Kiran who is trained as a doctor with postgraduate Ayurvedic training. His benign presence is caring and reassuring and he listens carefully to any problems and sorts them efficiently.
The treatments- various forms of massage, are prescribed according to the individual constitution of the patient and are performed by skilled and kind therapists. The massage is designed to clear the body of what I understand could be translated as “toxins”. As a therapist myself I was able to appreciate the skill and effectiveness of the therapies.
Herbal, Ayurvedic medicines were provided at meal times by another group of wonderful, welcoming and kind staff along with delicious food planned to complement the treatment.
We had the opportunity to visit the pharmacy, where the medicines are prepared. We were welcomed and shown round by Doctor Kiran's father, also a doctor. One evening we had a lesson in preparing the food from Sheran the chef.
Accommodation is in stone bungalows built in traditional Keralan style with rich dark wood and beautiful patterned tiles: A bedroom with a comfortable bed with mosquito net and a clean and well functioning shower room.
Outside, the veranda gave a wonderful view of the garden where most of the plants are used in the preparation of remedies and huge butterflies flit around just too fast to see them properly. The huge lake ripples up to the borders of the property. Herons, egrets and cormorants graced the lake and the sea eagles came down from soaring the skies to bath in the water bowls round the garden. Other birds with wonderful calls delighted me with their unfamiliarity.
There are nine rooms, so a maximum of eighteen guests meet at meals, often still in the brown Lungi that are worn after a treatment.
It feels as if all the staff and all the guests are involved in each person's well being. I enjoyed the fact that all the staff are kept informed of each guest's program and everyone is supportive and interested.
This is the real thing. A place to relax, heal and revitalise yourself. I can understand why they recommend at a stay of three weeks to get the full benefits, but, even after ten days I have come back with more energy, I don't lose my breath climbing the hills and I seem to be continuing to lose weight. (One of my intentions from the treatment).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank VivR735
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We arrived at Sarovaram with no expectations as it was our first trip to Kerala and our knowledge about Ayurveda was very scant. The first thing that pleases as very much was the personal attention of Dr. Kiran and his team. They all were highly professional and very caring. If you want to go there for a real ayurvedic experience with no gimmick this is indeed the place!!! The food was very tasty and well balanced. The surrondings by the lake helps to create a very relaxing and soothing atmosphere. We like the firmness of the doctor when he said: "we do not compromise in treatment" meaning that the place is neither a spa or a stop over for shopping and "roasting" under the sun. Every day of the 14 days ayurvedic treatment was carefully and individually monitored. The result was that we felt much better physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Going to Sarovaram is an experience we highly recommend.
We consider ourselves well travelled and we are quite strict with the standards of services therefore what we have just wrote is something that unfortunately we cannot+ do very often. We shall come back.
Rubén and Iván