“5 * experience”

The Ivy House
London, United Kingdom
“5 * experience”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Really impressed with the quality of the whole establishment. Clean and fresh looking, the new management have made every effort to make it more cosy and comfortable and it works. The rooms are clean and tidy, a reasonable size. Was visiting friends locally, so was ideal. The breakfast is scrummy and the location is so convenient to catch a train into London or to get to local destinations like Old Amersham or Great Missenden.
I treated myself to dinner when I stayed too and have never had a better Steak! Wow. And the peppercorn sauce was the perfect compliment to it.
I started off with the bubble and squeak starter with a beautiful fresh hollandaise then couldn't resist the steak. A friend of mine had the duck breast which was cooked to perfection. We shared the Amaretto baba dessert with their homemade bay leaf ice-cream (UN-believeable! sooo good).
Would 100% recommend and will be back most definitely in the future!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amanda H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The best of the old staff still there and very cheery new manager. Not a jus or drizzle in sight on the menu - hooray - we only had starters but the food was a serious cut above your normal pub food. Having given up under previous management we will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Number3Y
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had a great stay in one of the themed rooms with a brilliant view. We ate both nights in the restaurant and the food was 5 star. The staff were also very friendly. Would certainly return, especially considering the value for money you receive.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matt D
Stuart T, Owner at The Ivy House, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hi Matt,

Thank-you very much for your feedback, we take every review into account. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future,

Many Thanks,

Stuart and the team at The Ivy House
Bucks Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had my 60th Birthday party here and some of my guests stayed in the ensuite bedrooms. Lizzie (General Manager) and Adam (Executive Chef) were exceptionally friendly and organised, and were very helpful with my requirements. The service was good, all the staff most welcome, food was superbly cooked and presented to the highest level. I could not have asked for anything more, it ran very smoothly and we danced the night away - it all went so quickly. I chose the right place to have my party, they did everything and more to make my evening complete. My guests all commented on the standard of food and the hearty breakfasts.
Enjoyed every aspect of my party held at this lovely welcoming place.

Anne Atkinson

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 575AnneA
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed one night with my husband to attend a family function at the local golf club. Nice pub with excellent breakfast the following morning.

Our room "The Captain" was at the front of the pub. Nice room, clean and cozy, but if you are 6ft 6ins ish I would suggest you look at the other rooms, due to the oak beam running through it and above the loo!

Pleasent stay and we would return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bryony S
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

First £85 per night is exorbitant ! Plus the add 10% service charge on meals without warning ! On arrival we were greeted and shown towards the "accommodation" - via a staircase with worn stained carpet (with silverfish residents) and a stale smell. The girl had trouble opening the bedroom door (card keys) and we entered a bedroom the size of a postage stamp (no way a double room) - ok for Gnomes, but not humans! The lighting is weird - works of the door card. Our room was the "Captains Room" - 1 = the TV Remote didn't work. 2 = the WC didn't flush. 3 = Light Bulbs not working 4 = Dust in the tea box 5 = stained carpet 6 = Lucky me ! I found £2.20 under the dressing table plus used tea bags, loads of dust, dirty skirting boards, empty shower satches 7. Insufficient power points (extension lead supplied) -- 8 Shower cubicle so small difficulty in getting in. HOWEVER, we were shown to a larger room - Fairways. Again classed as a double, but really a big single. 1= Badly stained carpet, 2 = Wall light hanging dangerously off the wall 3 = dirty seals round the shower tray. In all, a dreadful experience. Plus points ? The girls there are friendly and the food in the Restraunt is good (apart from the surprise 10% service charge added without informing guests). The Ivy House really needs to make it's mind up what it wants to be. My advice ? Close the B and B side of the business and concentrate on gastro food !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Amersham
The White Hart Inn
The White Hart Inn
#2 of 3 in Chalfont St. Giles

Been to The Ivy House? Share your experiences!