Fairfield Inn & Suites Wausau
$113
HIExpress.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewswafflesfresh fruitstaff was very friendlycomplimentary breakfastgreat place to stayroom was cleangranite peaknice touchlocal hospitalhot foodwould stay here againfront desk staffhard boiled eggscentral wisconsingreat breakfastenjoyed our stayquiet location
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Fairfield in August of 2010 as a midpoint stopover for a vacation in Northwestern Wisconsin. I choose this hotel over the others because of the excellent reviews. The hotel is actually located in Weston, which is southeast of Wausau.

The Fairfield is next to the highway, but the drive from the highway to the hotel is a little confusing because you have to drive through an office park and the signs weren’t very clear. Next to the hotel is a large hospital.

At our arrival the front desk worker was surprisingly unfriendly. He made us wait while he made several calls and made no acknowledgement of our presence. After he found we had a special rate, he was argumentative and rude. It took longer than I would have liked to come to an agreeable resolution.

When we finally got to our room, we saw that we had been put next to an electrical room and across from the elevator. The view was the roof above the pool… not very picturesque, but better than looking out to the parking lot.

The room was small, but adequate for two people. We had a king room and found it odd that there was no bathtub, just an oddly placed shower stall. If I would have been told this by the reservations rep, I would have reserved a queen instead.

We looked through the brochures in the lobby in order to find a place to eat a late dinner (we didn’t want to deal with front desk employee again), and ended up in Schofield at a restaurant that was nothing like the advertisement. The restaurant was dirty and full of flies.

That night we turned on the room’s air conditioning and it was extremely loud. When the air conditioner cycled off, I noticed there was a whining noise from the electrical room (which shared a wall with the bed), which came and went. There was also a lot of hallway noise when guests would get on and off the elevator. Needless to say I did not get a good night’s rest on either night of our stay.

We looked to see what was included in the ‘complementary breakfast’, and it wasn’t too appealing, so we went to a restaurant in Schofield (Four Star) which had a wonderful selection to choose from.

Marriot’s website says this hotel offers ‘complimentary USA Today newspaper delivered to your guest room door daily’ but the only copy that I saw was in the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2010

This was a great place to stay. It was very clean, quiet and had the largest breakfast area I had ever seen. The only thing I could nit pick would be that the blanket on the bed was extremely thin. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank suechucky
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in mid-January with my two young sons while on a short ski trip to Granite Peak. I was very pleased with or stay. Upon arrival, we walked into a very clean lobby with a large fire blazing. An extremely accommodating person helped us check in. The whole hotel was very quite and felt like home. My sons swam in the pool....they were the only ones there. I thought for sure we were the only ones here for the night. The next morning I was proven wrong as the free breakfast area was packed (but still, it did not feel crowded). The food was much better than I was anticipating. Usually you get a small assortment of bagels and cereal, but here they had waffles, hot cereal, and much more.

I will return.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2009

We came with some friends to Wausau to see a concert at a near by bar. We had such a great time again. This is our second stay at this hotel and I am so impressed with the service each time I have stayed. The staff is nice and chatty, they gave a great dinner suggestion to a local steak house called Wish-it was the best steak I have had in years (and believe me I eat them a lot). We were out very late on Friday and missed the breakfast times, but the staff was able to get us something to eat, and they gave us a late check-out. This is the only hotel I will stay in whenever I visit Wausau. Rate was good, service was again excellent.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I stay over 100 nights at year at Marriott chain hotels. I found this Fairfield Inn to be comparable to the Springhill Suites and not your typical Fairfield Inn. Fairfield Inn is the lowest cost of the Marriot chains and caters to business travelers on tighter budgets.

Hotel had great lobby with full continental breakfast. I had a two bed arrangement, so I did not notice anything unique about the room..

The pool and hot tub are bigger then your average Fairfield Inn. This was smart planning as I skied the day at Granite Peak and, like most skiers, it is great to sit in a hot tub after skiing. Also, had bigger then average, workout room.

For those skiing at Granite Peak, the hotel is only a few miles away. The only negative about the hotel, there were not a lot of restaurants right around the hotel.

Highly recommend the hotel. You are paying for a Fairfield Inn, not Four Seasons.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo