“Must have been an off night”
Review of Basil

Basil
Reserve with OpenTable
Basil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Weston
Cuisines: Irish, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Opened about Dec 2009. Local paper (Wausau Daily Herald) gave it a four star review. We ate there for lunch on 4/30/2010. Ambitious menu, fresh ingredients, well-prepared dishes with good presentation. Interesting wine selections. And the cleanest bathrooms in memory. This is now our first-choice for upscale food in Wausau.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have eaten at this restaurant 5-6 times over the past 2 years and up to this most recent visit it didn’t disappoint. Like the previous reviewers mention they have changed how they greet their patrons upon entering the restaurant. Now when you enter a nearby server directs you to the rear bar area to seek out the host. This would be very awkward for newbie’s who don’t recognize the host especially when it’s crowded. They do this to move people out of the entrance because several tables crowd that area. Floor space is really tight and would advise, especially in winter, to avoid the tables close to the door.

The menu is a combination of Asian, European and spicy seafood cuisine. I started with the Calamari appetizer which was over cooked and tough, not typical for here. I had salmon for my entrée and although the texture of the fish and the sauce was excellent the meat was not all that fresh. Another at my table had the same comment, again not typical for here. My wife ordered Maryland crab cakes and another at my table had the rib eye and Maryland crab cake special. Although the crab cakes were tasty they only resemble their namesake in form. I spent at lot of time on the East Coast and can tell you a Maryland crab is 90 percent blue crab with a few breadcrumbs and egg to hold it together. If you expect this, don’t order them as they are nothing like that except maybe the price.

They do have a nice wine selection and and a full bar. Our server was very accommodating and although my review has been a bit critical this won’t keep us from returning, everyone can have an off night.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I just wanted to share with everyone what a great time I have had at Basil Restaurant! I love being greeted at the door by the friendly staff.... it almost makes me feel like part of "the Basil family." I recently enjoyed the new green bean appetizer and my friend loved the yummy creamy riesling salmon! Basil seems to offer a nice variety of daily specials! I've been coming to Basil since they opened about 3 yrs ago.I enjoy the atmosphere with the featured local artists on the walls. The fun and friendly staff adds to our pleasurable dining experience and the music played is always upbeat and different. Thank you Basil for your great FOOD, FUN, and SERVICE! I will be coming back!!!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just didn't care for the recipe of the dish I had. I went with a friend who didn't care for hers either.

The atmosphere was not intimate either, but rather crowded.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

It is apparently the policy of this restaurant that the customers, instead of being greeted at the door, must go to the back of the restaurant and find the host, then greet him and ask for a table. Never having been to such a supercilious establishment before, I did the usual and glanced around for a "please wait to be seated" sign. No sign, no host to be found, so of course we sat ourselves. Immediately upon sitting, we were condescendingly reprimanded by the host for not "checking in with him" first. I was baffled and stammered that we had never been there before, and he just smugly raised his eyebrows at me, as if he also expected an apology. What does a host at a terrible restaurant have to be smug about? Needless to say we left right away, to no protest from the host. The date, dinner, and rest of the whole evening were ruined by this incident, as my boyfriend was tortured by the desire to kick this guy's a**. Long story short, don't ever go to this place.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We have been regular, if infrequent, customers since Basil opened several years ago. The restaurant is owned by a very nice couple and their own friendliness is reflected in the welcoming attitude and great service the staff provides. As other reviewers have mentioned, the dining room is quite small, but it is tastefully decorated and has enough window area to make it seem more open. Basil has the first, and still the only, Asian fusion cuisine menu in the Wausau area.

That menu is Basil's best attraction and its greatest weakness. The variety of dishes, from Panang curry to soups to fried green bean salad and great crab cakes, means that there's something for everyone to choose. However, the quality of the ingredients, especially the fish, varies widely, and the preparation of dishes that are our familiar favorites seems to vary randomly and not for the best. For example, the red curry initially had a thick, rich sauce, then suddenly it became thin and watery, and has remained so over several visits. The spiciness of the Panang varies tremendously from night to night, even when we request it be prepared without jalepeno peppers. The fish is obviously frozen, and often seems stale and dry. After our most recent experience, we have decided to take a break from Basil for a while.

Basil's prices are perhaps 30% higher than average for our area, presumably because they are a small volume restaurant using a number of unusual (for our area) ingredients. Regardless of the reason, for the prices they are charging we would expect that the food quality would be better, and the preparation more consistent, than it is.

Been to Basil? Share your experiences!