“Sun, Sun,Sun .....”

Occidental Jandia Mar
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Pajara
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay in the Jandia Mar, a very relaxing week, although did not start well. We arrive around 10.40pm and was first booked into Block 8. Again just given a map and no help although we have been told that come July there will be a bell boy employed.. At reception, Efren explained that there would be some food down in the restaurant at 11pm, to just leave our cases and have a drink before getting something to eat. On getting to the room (8001) which was spacey with big bed, Although over looked the Jandia Playa's car park, we found the connecting door was unlocked!!!! on opening the other door I startled a German couple, quickly closed the doors and went back to reception. We then had a stressful 20/25 min debate with Marcel, think he was a supervisor/manager who when i explained the situation, first said "as these rooms can accommodate families, we dont know until you arrive that its just a couple so they dont lock them"... hated to say but if room 8002 had a German couple already in there then there cant be a family coming into room 8001. Marcel was not pleased when I said this and also when I said it was for my safety that the door must be locked or move us to another room. he replied that there was no other rooms. So I said, so the hotel is full!!!! to which he said yes but on standing my ground and not moving on a new room, after much chatting in spanish, disappearing for 10/15 mins without saying what was happening, we got moved to block 3 (3108). However going from block 8 to block 3 there must be approx 60 steps, no help and by this time it was 12.15am.
I did speak with Alfonso (manager of the reception) the following day and explained everything that happened and he was the first person to apologise and offered us the use of our room on a late check out basis. However the reception staff were always helpful when we had to deal with them, so maybe Marcel is the odd one out.
**But make sure the interconnecting door is locked before you unpack.
However the following 6 days went without a hitch, plenty of sunbeds no matter when you arrived at the pools, although the pools are freezing.
As mentioned by previous reviewers I've also been on AL 4* holidays and this hotel, rooms, food, drink, entertainment, sun beds, I would consider this one to be good quality, definately on a par with many that I've stayed in.
The hotel, the bedrooms and bathroms are all spotless. Although I wouldnt spend any money to upgrade to a sea view room as its not worth it. Nearly every room has some sort of sea view.
The Italian al a carte restaurant is lovely and well worth booking for one night
Just one word of warning..... if you are out on the terrace at night and you go to the pool bar for your drinks..... it is served in a paper cup (about the size of a Macdonalds medium drink) ... it is 1/3 alcohol and 1/3 coke, sprite, fanta ..... so it is lethal..... probably more like 4 drinks in 1.....
Jandia is very quiet so although I enjoyed my holiday and it was very relaxing, I probably wouldnt go back to the area, nowhere to go for a walk at night and the hill is a killer climbing it.

Room Tip: From what I have seen and talking to British people, we are given rooms either in blocks 7,8 and 9 w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sunseeker2766
Write a ReviewReviews (5,419)

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We have just returned from an 11 day holiday at this hotel. We are a couple with two young children and Grandma. After arriving at about 8.30pm we checked in and where told that we were in Block 5 and given a map! No assistance was offered and no trolleys could be found and so we had to struggle with 5 cases, a 2 year old in a pushchair, an over tired 4 year old, all the cabin bags and Grandma..... Not a great start!! Thankfully a lovely chap who had suffered the same fate in the early hours came to our rescue. After this hiccup everything went very smoothly indeed. The hotel is lovely, much nicer than the photographs would suggest. The rooms are spotless, beds huge but a little hard, big fluffy bathsheets and plenty of space. We had a family room which are two interconnecting rooms. The tv had a kiddy chanel which was great for buying a little peace. The food was great, plenty of choice and something for everyone, the theme nights were good too, Chinese, Mexican and Italian. I get so fed up with people moaning about the food on AI holidays so lets put it into perspective, if you expect a full English breakfast cooked to order and a full a la carte menu every night don't book AI. I have been on many AI holidays and consider this one to be good quality where the food is concerned, having eaten everywhere from my local greasy spoon to Gordon Ramseys, I am satisfied that I got my moneys worth. The pool snack bar even had salads and plenty of fruit as well as the usual chips and burgers. The entertainment team were probably the hardest working bunch I've ever seen, Raquel is very talented and Diego is hilarious, especially in drag. Don't miss Miss Barcelo or Grammys night......... Unless you don't have a funny bone, in which case buy one or failing that fill up on the daily cocktails which I can highly recommend! The indoor pool was great to use until the outside pool had warmed up. Music was a bit loud and eurocheesy around the pool but everyone loved it when the entertainments team came out and danced to the catchy Barceló song. All in all a good holiday with something for everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Sidollie
Reviewed June 13, 2014

really enjoyed a week in this hotel, nice food, great pools and the staff was amazing and really friendly. My 4 years old daughter absolutely loved the kids club and asia-lady that was looking after her. Would love to come back

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank justyna w
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The hotel itself is lovely, very clean and the rooms are perfect. The evening entertainment is cheesy but you're on holiday so didn't mind. You can always get a lounger by the pool which is good. The downside, the food is appalling I ended up with food poisioning which resulted in being in a clinic on an iv drip and 3 days out of the holiday being ill. My son and husband were however ok but there were several other people suffering sickness. The Spa pool didnt feel clean and the treatments expensive. The hill from the beach is very still but if you are fit and active shouldnt be a problem. Wouldnt return and wouldnt recommend!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Sue H
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is lovely. Nice food, right near the beautiful white sandy beach which is absolutely huge. Has 2 big pools and an indoor spa pool with other facilities. Food and drinks were great on all inclusive. Had a nice 2 week holiday! Barcelo never disappoint me.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank sunkisses22
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Amazing hotel, but found the front desk reception staff so rude, not helpful and couldn't be bothered. Bedroom walls were so thin i could hear everything in the next room!! This holiday was supposed to be relaxing for myself and my partner but it wasn't it was stressful with the lack of help from reception, we wasn't told there was an A La Cart restaurant on site until we actually found it on the last day, they forgot to give us our bands we had to remind them & they told my partner he has to wear trousers not shorts, he didn't bring any trousers and then was told oh well we would have to eat on the beach!!. This happened on our first day and we then found out that everyone was in shorts!. apart from that couldn't fault the hotel or the food.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Faye12344
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My Husband and I, and our 11 year old have just returned from this hotel where we spent 11 glorious days in the sunshine. After having been to the north of the island to another 4* hotel, I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to that one, but my fears were totally unfounded.
We arranged the transfer shuttle from the airport, which took 1 hr 10 mins as not many people on the bus. (same on the return actually, and well worth the £38 we paid for three people!)
The reception was busy on our arrival as a drunk English couple (had to be didn't it!) were making a fuss over their bill. Anyway, we were processed very quickly, and very efficiently. We were met by one of the Managers, who was extremely polite and kind, and welcomed us profusely. :)

Room - We had a beautiful room (402) in the main block, very quiet, sunny balcony in the mornings, good sized room, brilliant bathroom, with change of towells whenever you wanted to have them changed, by leaving them in the bath. The sheets were also regularly changed. The room was spotless and cleaned immaculately every day. (as is the whole hotel). The lift down to reception, also continues down to the restaurant/pool and lower, to the spa. We noticed wheelchair access was good.
Reception - The atrium was large and spacious. Big chandalier over the stairs leading to the dining room, and a bar where wine, pop and beer can be accessed by pumps, so no queuing. However, in the evening, the queue did become large if you wanted to have something else, although I personally had the cocktails that were on a large display table every evening, and gave me a chance to try new things - and they are potent! There are lots of tables and chairs to sit in during the evening, and a grand piano where we enjoyed singers on a few occasions. There is also a settee area, with big comfy sofas and lovely vista over the sea. The internet area is adjacent, and also a big tv on the wall where the football was on one one occasion. There is an Italian restaurant, which you can book to visit. I believe you are able to go one evening per week, so we were able to go twice on a 10 night stay, but chose to only go once as we loved the dining room! The food was "ok" in the Italian, we had steak, and lobster thermidor, the steak was wonderful, the lobster not so much.
Dining Room - The room although large, is sectioned off at all times. We thought this a shame as it was difficult on many occasions to get a table, although we did prefer to sit in the conservatory area outside anyway where there was always space. We would mention at this stage, after reading some of the other reviews, that we developed a lovely relationship with the waitresses, especially Naima, who despite both our lack in languages, managed to speak with much affection every day! The food was good. I realise that for some British people, there would be items that are new to them, and therefore some of the negative reviews on this subject. However, the food was well cooked, very well presented, and replenished frequently. The salads were really good, lots of choice, lots of different dressings, and this combined with grilled meats and fishes, good selection of cheeses, and cold cuts, we did not ever find something to suit all of us. There is always a pasta choice also, and we experienced a pizza night (yummy), a mexican evening, (super yummy), and a chinese evening (yummy). There is always a good supply of breads of different varieties, cheese and biscuits in the evenings, and the deserts are just too good.........I put on 13 lbs in 11 days!!!! Ice cream, cakes, fruit, mousse, yoghurts, and sometimes bananas over a bain marie in chocolate! The breakfasts are also great, my son ate his weight in pancakes! Usual bacon, eggs, sausages, etc etc, cold meats, cereals etc etc. The wine, beer and soft drinks are again, on pump so no queues.
Pools - there are two big main pools, and one smaller one for young children. (not including the spa) We took advantage of hiring towells, which was 10E each, fully refundable, and 2E if you want it changing. The pools were very, very clean, as are the surrounding areas, although so windy that not much that is not tied down would survive being left about anyway! lol! However, the pools were cold, which was exaserbated by the wind when you get out! However, my son and I spent many hours in the pool and once you have acclimatised yourself, it is fine! The entertainment staff were great, they offered activities all day long, but what I really liked about it was that they didn't make a nuisance of their offerings - they had timetables posted in various places, announcements over the mic and then it was silence! Bliss! We took part in pilates, yoga, aquagym, shuffleboard, boules, darts and crazy games (funny)! We thought that Diego was faboulous, and should really be the manager of the team, as we thought he was much better than the actual one who we couldn't understand over the mic! I particularly thought Racquel was great, she has boundless energy and obviously enjoyed her job, and kept me busy with keep fit every day! (Racquel - sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye x)
Resort - this was, for me anyway, the one thing that I was not so keen on. It was a steep walk to the beach, although there is a courtesy bus I understand. However, we walked it and took a short cut through the Barcelo Playa next door to help with the steepness of the hill and my bad knees! Once at the beach, the view is fantastic! We had a lovely lunch in a cafe where we enjoyed prawns cooked in hot oils with garlic and pizzas and a mean margarita! (pint of larger 3E) We also went into the town, which was full of designer shops, or tack - either end of the scale, didn't really impress me, and I was pleased that we were not staying in the town.
Spa - we only used the spa pool on the occasions that children were allowed in, which is for an hour in the monring, and an hour in the afternoon. At other times it looked to be a peaceful, relaxing zone.

Overall, we would highly recommend this hotel, and shall certainly return as soon as able. It is beautifully presented throughout, lovely landscaping, lovely staff, good quality food/drinks, and I miss sitting on the verandah by the pool bar every day after a day of sunbathing, with my G&T before luxuriating in the bath with the bath salts etc etc that were in the bathroom on arrival (also bubble bath, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush razor, foam, shoe shine pad, shower cap, moisturiser just to mention a few other charming extras) !!! (although I had become quite partial to their triple sec and lemonade!)

Thank you again, Barcelo Jandia Mar, for having us - we will see you again!

Room Tip: 402 - good view of the sea and pool, and very very quiet. In the main building, great AirCon and ce...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Andrea L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pajara
Occidental Jandia Playa
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort
#6 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Occidental Jandia Mar? Share your experiences!