“Don't worry about the Germans”

Fuerteventura Princess
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Pajara
Aylesbury
“Don't worry about the Germans”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Thank you for the review Hipendula. I am going out again soon so was interested in your comments, most of which, from memory, I agree with. Just a few points...I think you were right to highlight the noisy rooms, this is definitely the Hotel's main weakness.The Platinum issue I think has confused a few. There's Thomson Platinum and the Hotel's Platinum, two completely different things. Although it does seem unfair that only Germans seem to be in on the Hotel Platinum I don't think the German's generally should put people off. The Germans are very well behaved, and remember, are also very fussy about their holidays, they wouldn't be there if it wasn't a good hotel. I'm not sure you can expect Thomson's to get things changed at the Hotel with so few holidaymakers staying there, but for me there's nothing wrong with the food anyway. One other thing, I don't think you witnessed nudists disturbing small children, but wrote it for effect. Apologies if I'm wrong.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nicksthename
DireccionFTV, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Nicksthename,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Fuerteventura Princess to spend your vacations.

We take note of your comments. Your feedback constantly helps us in improving our standards and the service to our guests.

We hope that you will visit us again to see the changes we continuously make; thank you once again for your detailed feedback and your continuous loyalty despite the issues mentioned.

Kind regards,

Guest Care Service Hotel Fuerteventura Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The title seems so pointed but I speak as I find. Do correct me if I am wrong.
We flew Thomson from Stansted on 12th Feb and had an excellent flight. Similarly the transfer was relatively smooth except that we had to leave late without some passengers who probably hired a car and did not advise Thomsons. Our Rep, Andrew spent a large part of the journey giving us the general details about the island, it's history and the places to see. On arrival at the hotel the registration was very easy as we had been given the documentation to complete on the coach. This is a good idea because it uses wasted travelling time and reduces queueing time on arrival. We were allocated a first floor room with a balcony which looked onto one of the pools and had a sea view. Unfortunately, on the very first night our sleep was interrupted and shortened by an inconsiderate neighbour who not only had the television too loud well past midnight but also coughed incessantly and to cap it all turned the TV on again at 6am and started coughing.
That morning we asked for a change of rooms and were offered a choice of two. By 2pm we were finally in a quiet room which, whilst on the ground floor, still had good views and was very comfortable.

The Hotel in general:
This is a large hotel which at the time of our visit was probably only 25% full. There were hundreds of sunbeds, similar numbers of seating and tables both inside and out, plenty of bar seating, a main restaurant and a clifftop restaurant.
What we did find strange was the hotel, whilst rated 4*+ and Platinum, also had a PLATINUM section which had its own reception, lounge, restaurant eating area, gated entry to the accomodation and, allegedly, an indoor pool and jacuzzi. This we were told was for the exclusive use of the 'German' customers who were holidaying with another company which had demanded special treatment for its customers.
Note that the hotel operates Half Board, All Inclusive (AI) and PLATINUM all of which became very confusing because lunch was supposedly only for AI customers but customers were regularly seen eating there even without wristbands. Others had presumably purchased meal vouchers or something whilst gold wristbands were for AI and, I think, black for PLATINUM

The Rooms:
The hotel complex is largely made up of 3-storey blocks of accommodation. All, except the PLATINUM appear to be the same internally. Again it was noted that very few, if any, Brits were alocated the top floor. (Correct me if I am wrong). The rooms were clean and tidy but showing signs of general wear and tear.

The Restaurants:
Food was plentiful and the main courses were varied daily although grilled fish was available every day and I must say it was delicious. All of the vegetables, sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs etc were always tepid even at the 7.30 am breakfast start, lunchtime and 6pm dinner start. As AI customers we had access to bottles of wine at dinner, cocktails and spirits in the evening and wine, beer and cocktails throughout the day and evening. This was well worth the extra upgrade cost to AI.

The Entertainment:
This varied from night to night with visiting entertainers and the hotel team at different times. The theatre is massive with seating and tables for hundreds as well as table service. In general what we saw was excellent with an IL DIVO act, an adaptation of flamenco with hi-tec electronic stringed instruments as backup and a BeeGees tribute. The in-house team produced an excellent version of Les Mis which, although mimed was wonderfully enacted and presented. Unfortunately at about 10pm the shows ended and the 'disco' started. This was almost exclusively German music and the dance floor was regularly filled with four couples dancing whilst the rest left and presumably went to bed. We did once hear a Madonna track but that was about it. After the cold food it was the next most disappointing.

The Staff:
Nearly all of the staff were friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable-especially if we were friendly to them and tried to speak Spanish.

The Grounds:
The grounds were extensive and mainly grassed with a large number of palm-type trees.

The Beach:
Must be one of the best natural beaches in the whole of the Canaries. Accessed via a gate which required a key card to operate then down a ramp to the beach. Both ends of the beach have a rocky headland which help to shelter it. The beach is about 1/4 mile wide maybe a little more. The sand shelves very gradually and is therefore good for children.
All must be aware that the rockycliff faces are habited by nudists who can appear at any time. The state of some of them can seriously disturb small children and those with a nervous disposition.

The Pools:
The pools covered a very large area and none were too deep. They even have walk-in ends which are ideal for children and non-swimmers. Plenty of room for access and sunbeds.

Car Hire:
We hired a car for a day at 39 euros at the hotel. The hire guy seemed only able to speak or understand Spanish or German and the brochure was in Spanish and German so communication was in broken Spanish. We seemed to get the oldest car available. Maybe because being right hand drivers we are considered no good at driving left hand drive cars. The island is very barren in general with only a few areas worth visiting.

Overall:
Overall I have only given an average rating. Not because we did not enjoy the holiday at all, or of the hotel in general, but because of the clear fact that it is overtly German with a smattering of Dutch. Holidaymakers from the UK seem to be second class citizens not in treatment directly by the staff but in the whole way the hotel is managed.
I had contacted Thomson directly some months ago long after having booked the holiday because of the poor reports starting to appear on Tripadvisor regarding the standard of the food in particular. Whilst Thomson had promised to contact the hotel to make ammends nothing seems to have transpired so this is a big issue for the hotel.
If the trend for segregation to SPECIAL PLATINUM continues it will put another upper layer in the pricing structure.
Apologies to readers if this has gone on too long.

Room Tip: Block 6 regularly seems to be the favourite choice - if you have one at all.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hlpendula
Dear Hlpendula,

First of all, I would like to send you my warmest appreciations for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Hotel Fuerteventura Princess.

We were of course most concerned to read your review about your disappointments. We always try our very best to make our guests’ stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible, so we regret that we did not succeed on this occasion.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback online and for giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. If you decide to give us an opportunity to welcome you back in the future once more.

Kind regards,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful week at this hotel. Please be aware that the Jandia Princess is next door, don’t try to check into the wrong one like I did…
We booked the holiday on line with Thomson and found that the flight went very smoothly and the reps helpful and informative. We didn’t use the transfers provided because we hired a car for the week, but the transfers seemed to go smoothly with reps in attendance. The car hire was from Autoreisen which was a very reasonable price of E90 for the week plus E40 worth of petrol which we bought during our travels. I would recommend hiring a car as the hotel is set on its own away from the local town of Jandia. The driving was easy as the roads are much quieter than UK and parking was not a problem plus it was free. The hotel is 1 hour 10 minutes from the airport and the whole journey is along the main road FV2, just check on Google maps for the final leg of the journey to get to the hotel.
Our room was 6122 which was ideally placed overlooking both the sea and the pool. All the rooms are in blocks away from the main hotel block and this one was only a short walk away. The room was a family one with a balcony and twin beds and a sofa bed, very spacious and clean with a lovely bathroom and a great deal of storage space within the room. My only criticism that tea/coffee making facilities were not provided and I would have brought my travel kettle if I had realised. Also, the safe was an additional charge of E12.50 which I thought was a bit unnecessary.
The restaurant was buffet service and the staff cleared away promptly. The food for both breakfast and dinner was of excellent quality and variety. No tea/coffee provided after dinner, to my surprise.
The entertainment was OK but we did not attend every evening. Sometimes it was provided by the entertainment team who tried very hard and were very enthusiastic and other nights by visiting acts. In my opinion the best act was 4 dancers called “Battle of the Dance”. They performed dance styles from all around the world with a great variety of costume changes. Another act was “Rudolph and the Motown Sisters” doing a Motown tribute act. I’m a big fan of Motown myself and the sisters were excellent. My advice to them would be “Ditch the old guy, girls, and go it alone”. Rudolph himself was like someone’s dad at a wedding.
The hotel was set in well kept grounds in a beautiful setting, right next to the beach along with 3 other similar hotels but I was glad we had hired a car as Jandia was a 50 minute walk away or a one-way taxi fare of E12. There were no local buses.
There were 3 pools which looked lovely but were too cold for my tastes. One was heated but the highest temperature it got to was 21. I would have gone in more than once had it been warmer.
We had a day at Oasis Park on Sunday. This was an animal park with lots of animals plus parrot shows etc. plus camel rides available for E12. Very enjoyable day and there is an interesting local market there on a Sunday with local produce and gifts available. Do be aware of markets elsewhere, as the stallholders are so hard-sell and pushy, I felt so intimidated I bought nothing. However, the Oasis Park market was very pleasant indeed.
We spent a day exploring the western side of the island. This part is not commercialised with no hotels of tourist facilities due to the fierceness of the ocean. The waves are spectacular here as they come crashing down onto the volcanic shores.
We also visited the shifting sands of El Jable which was quite a spectacle plus the town of Corralejo on the north of the island. I was glad I stayed in the south as this area was more commercialised.
This s a most enjoyable holiday. The temperatures in January were between 18 and 28 during the day but do be aware of the fierce winds. The temperature drops during the evenings and you will need long trousers and jumpers. Don’t worry about taking lots of post frocks, ladies, as there is no strict evening dress code except men must wear long trousers.

Room Tip: 6122 overlooked the pool and sea and was well appointed for all facilities.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LouandMickfromBarton
Dear LouandMickfromBarton,

Our guests are the most important component to create the big family that Hotel Fuerteventura Princess is, we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you in our hotel and specially to be part of this family.

This will certainly motivate our team to continue delivering the best service to all our guests! It is always very rewarding to receive such compliments ensuring that every guest leaves with great satisfaction.

We also hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nice hotel,arrived Xmas day for two weeks,main building on 3 floors,lifts available,ground floor entertainment room and bar,first floor restaurant,third floor lobby/bar/wifi(expensive) good sitting aria,rooms in blocks,standard lay out/bathroom toilet,large main room double bed,sofa, cabinets,large wardrobe,balcony,seating,cleaners in every day they do a good job,complex set on a slope a few wheel chair people around so not that bad,two main pools(vary cold),sauna area with naturist pool,beach towels free,outside long slope down to beach,to the left nice sandy beach,boat hire,bar(pay for),turn right takes you to Jandia an hour stroll on sand if tide is out,if in you clamber over rocks,a cab costs 8 euros.The only faults for me are food,Luke warm,and VARY NOISY ROOMS+ in house entertainment is rubbish(and a lot of Germans)

Room Tip: choose a top floor room as the blocks are noisy,theirs no sound proofing a lot of door slamming
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank peter p
DireccionFTV, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Sir Peter P,

Thank you for your review about our hotel.
We thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to reflect his impressions after your stay in our establishment, as all suggestions from our visitors are considered for the continuous improvement of our services, in order to reach all expectations Trip.

We are glad that your Christmas holiday with us were to your liking. As for the negative details you mention, I assure you that I took note of this in order to fix them as soon as possible and to improve our customer service.

We hope to see you again in our hotel.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner spent christmas and new year at this hotel. The food was a good variety, serving different meats and fish off the grill everyday. However they cook it and then leave it to go cold, so by the time you have got to the table, you're dinner is cold! This was an issue everyday. The waiters would clear away your table, but we found a few of the staff rude at times. One day we went out for a day trip and came back to get a quick dinner before the buffet closed, although we was in time, the waitress shook her head at us and muttered something in Spanish and wasn't happy. I always got the impression they wanted to finish their shift and get home early, so they started clearing things away very early before the buffet closes! The drinks are good in the bars and the waiters are always serving drinks. Some of the entertainment at night was good. They had acts that came into the hotel, such as singers & dancers and was really nice to watch. I recommend though if the animation team are performing that night to go back to your room early and get an early night- they are not worth watching and are absolutely shocking!! The rooms are sufficient, a big bed, wardrobes, and furniture. Their isn't much for English on the TV. The reception staff was helpful and would be happy to help book you a taxi if you wanted to take a trip up into jandia- which I do recommend to go to. There is Nice bars, restaurants, arcades, shopping malls, ect. Or you can take a long stroll across the beach. The pools were cold and hardly anybody went in them. Also a few broken tiles on the bottom and it didn't look very clean. Sun loungers on the beach you have to pay a fee to use them. Also make sure you pick the correct sun lounger around the pool- most of them are broken... General ware and tear around the hotel... It would be much better if they sorted out the last finishing touches.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cally_james
DireccionFTV, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Sir Cally_James

Thank you for your review about our hotel.

We deeply regret that there have been aspects of our service that was not to your liking, but I assure you that we take note of it to improve and exceed the expectations of our customers.

We hope to see you again in our hotel.

manchester
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Me and my wife have just returned from a 10 night stay at this hotel 11/12/2013 - 21/12/2013, we stayed here last year and I wrote a review but there are a few things here that I feel need to be shared.

I was reluctant to stay here after reading some of the reviews from Autumn which indicated things had gone down hill since last year . However we left our booking to the last minute and didnt have any choice so took a gamble as we know the resort and island well (9th visit) and do enjoy it, anyhow things have not changed much it still does as it says on the tin .

One change and the main reason I am writing the review is we went all inclusive and here is where i am left a little bitter . Not all drinks are inclusive only "non branded drinks and only five cocktails" and that stops at 11:00pm ,however our continental cousins who come under "premium AI" are entitled to "premium branded drinks all cocktails" and a private heated pool as well as there own areas of the hotel .Now in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal but there is definetly a two tear AI system in place so this maybe somthing to take into account prior to your booking . The hotel itself is in need of some TLC but is kept clean as are the rooms which are cleaned and towels changed daily . The food is a good standard for mass catering with plenty of choice , the beaches are lovely . I am not going into much detail as you can read that in last years review I just wanted to point out the main changes .

Room Tip: If you want a room in a quiet part of the hotel with partial sea views then I would recomend 8111 bu...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bury-c&r
Dear Sir Bury-C&R,

Thank you for your review about our hotel. We thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to reflect his impressions after your stay in our establishment, as all suggestions from our visitors are considered for the continuous improvement of our services, in order to reach all expectations Trip . Rest assured that we will prioritize your ideas for improving our service. Hoping to welcome you again in the future, receive a cordial greeting.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2013

great all inclusive hotel.very clean,spacious and lovely pools.Food was average,a good choice but could benefit from being kept hotter and using fresh veg instead of tinned or frozen.the only downside for us was that it was VERY German orientated.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pajara
Occidental Jandia Playa
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura
Occidental Jandia Royal Level - Adults Only
Occidental Jandia Royal Level - ...
#4 of 14 in Playa de Jandia
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
Club Jandia Princess Hotel
Club Jandia Princess Hotel
#7 of 14 in Playa de Jandia
Iberostar Fuerteventura Palace
Iberostar Fuerteventura Palace
#2 of 14 in Playa de Jandia

Been to Fuerteventura Princess? Share your experiences!