Juma Amazon Lodge
Amazon Lodge(Autazes)
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewson stiltsboat driverpiranha fishingthe riverceiling fanamazing experiencejungle hikesother guestsstayed for nightshot waterdaily activitiesmosquito repellentrainy seasonnight packagehis passionsaw dolphinslocal family
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We had a fantastic two-night stay in this lodge, about 100km from Manaus (horrible city by the way: just stay there long enough to visit the opera house before heading for the jungle). Juma Lodge is beautifully located - the journey there from Manaus is an experience in itself. It's all built on stilts so the walkways - and the rooms - sway a bit, but that's all part of the experience. The food, and the unusual and delicious fruit juices, are delicious; the service and hospitality excellent. It's not cheap, but everything's included (even your transfers between the airport and your hotel in Manaus), and the programme of tours is as good as it gets. Our guide was absolutely first-class: knowledgable, interesting, highly professional and an all-round good guy. The tours included several river trips, piranha fishing, night-time caiman spotting, a jungle hike, a visit to an Indian village and more. If you want to experience the Amazon rainforest safely and in comfort, while leaving a minimal environmental footprint, Juma Lodge will live up to all your expectations. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rogerbilder
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed in Juma Lodge for 4 days; the place is wonderful, the food is great and the daily trips were quite interesting (especially the visit to Indian "village" ); the staff is friendly and helpfull....the only unpleasant experience that one of our group got a malaria...please take pills or use a lot of anti mosquito lotions to prevent this unpleasant surprise....

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ISR77
CaioFonseca, Owner at Juma Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2010

Hello

I would like to thank you very much for the great review! Reviews like yours make us very satisfied!

Because of the acidity of the black waters, there are almost no mosquitoes in the region, so probably this tourist got malaria before arriving at Juma. Anyway, I agree with you that it is a good idea to have some malaria pills before going to the jungle.

I hope that you come back to visit us one day.

Best Regards,

Caio Fonseca

Reviewed July 26, 2010

If you want to live the Amazonas in a wild and adventurous but still safe and relatively comfortable way the Amazonas, Juma Lodge is the place to be.
The venue is absolutely simple and eco-compatible: everything is build in wood and electricity power is available only during some hours of the day but the staff manages to make you to live an unforgettable experience: the excursions are all very interesting and made by professional guides, the food is nice (don't expect a gourmet you are in the middle of nowhere here!) and the rooms are amazing.... I was used to wake up during the night to look at the moon reflected on the river out of my room through the wall made just by the anti-insect net: breath-taking!
The pets of the venue are simply gorgeous: you will fall in love with Isabel, the 100kg tapir who will follow you until your room (the first time can be scary: don't panic it is sweet as a pet) and with the funny monkeys and parrots.
Stay there for 3-4 days and then go to the seaside! this is not a relaxing place at all but you will remeber it like one of (if not the) the best experience you had in Brasil.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cany10
Reviewed May 9, 2010

After a long comparison of the different options available in Manaus, I chose this lodge and I was disappointed.

OK: the bungalows over the water are charming although rustic and the activities like alligator spotting at night, piranha fishing, visit to the locals, walk in the forest do discover the plants and trees, and reconnaissance tour to see some parrots and monkeys were a success and a lot of fun. AND our guide João and his boat driver were well informed and funny to be with. Thanks to them.

BUT: the agency told me they would let me stay in the over the water bungalows for the price of the regular ones... It convinced me. When we got there, I realized all the regular bungalows were under renovation... I felt tricked! Thanks for that upgrade...

There is not much to do if you travel alone. I spent 4 nights - 5 days (although the 5th day is just breakfast and trip back to Manaus) and ended up with one activity per day, so I spent a lot of time in my hammock reading my book with the monkey of the hotel lurking at me (that was cool but I could do this anywhere - except for the monkey) because there is no where to go!

The food is the same at every meal and becomes really boring after 2 days. Rustic cuisine. for that price, it could be a little more elaborate than rice, beans and spaghettis.
Also, people who don't go out on activities all the time should be allowed to eat at their convenience. Not at 7am, 12pm and 7pm like in an army camp.

It is also annoying to be asked everytime you pass in front of the bar if you want to buy a soda, a beer or a caipirinha... Management is questionnable.

Overall, the services and charm of the hotel are not worth US$250/day. For that price you would expect a higher standard (as I was told I would get, "compared to all the other"s, the moment I bought the trip) . Other agencies offer the same activities, type of food and in the end rustic accomodation (although not over the water) for less than half the price.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank Christophe R
CaioFonseca, Owner at Juma Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2010

Dear Gliscoman

Thank you for your comments.

We finished the renovation of the regular bungalows, so they are all available now. During the repairs, we decided to give the upgrade in order to enable more guests to get to know Juma.

The lack of activities in the lodge itselff is being arranged:

_ our guides began to provide lectures about the Amazon Rainforest to our guests;

_ paintingboards were bought, so one have the option to paint the beautiful landscapes of the region between the outdoor activities;

_ canoes are available for self-rowing around the lodge;

_ a telescope to see the stars will be available soon.

About the meals, I am glad to tell you that we just hired a professional chef to help us improve our food.

I spoke with our manager about the people from the bar annoying the guests and this will not happen again. I have had this experience in some hotels and I know how this disturbs.

Juma has similar rates of some other lodges, but we are really more expensive than some others. This occurs because of our distance from Manaus (many hotels are near the city, so they have less costs) and also because of our size. Bigger hotels can charge less, because their fixed costs are better diluted.

Best Regards,

Caio Fonseca
Juma Lodge

Reviewed May 9, 2010

Fantastic stay in the jungle, with dolphins swimming the river outside the room and the sounds of the forrest filling the night. Very friendly staf, good service, clean, quite and very relaxing. I enjoyed the stay greatly.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo