Amazon Lodge(Autazes)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewson stiltsboat driverpiranha fishingthe riverjungle hikesceiling fanstayed for nightshis passionmosquito repellentrainy seasonlocal familynight packagelocal fishblack waterbuffet styleresident monkeyfriendly monkeys
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We booked our stay at Juma Lodge through [---], based on the recommendations in the reviews of other visitors to Juma. Viverde offered us a better rate than by going through the lodge directly. The lodge itself was wonderful, with beautiful bungalows nestled within the Amazon jungle, and pet monkeys, macaws and even a tapir roaming the grounds. The staff was courteous and helpful for all our needs. The food was delicious and the daily activities a real treat. I suspect all the stays are similar, with piranha fishing, caiman catching and jungle treks (my favorite part!). Our guide, Jungle Boy, was very knowledgeable about the area, so a good resource and wonderful conversationalist.

Before going to Juma, I had to do some research to find out if there is any hot water (none) and if there is electricity (by generator, only at night from about 6 p.m.-6 a.m.). Also, it might be helpful for travelers to know in advance to drink A LOT of water before and upon arrival. I come from a tropical climate and did not think I would have a problem acclimating but was actually the only visitor at the time to be affected with mild heat exhaustion our first night there. Although the weather was similar Hawaii, where I live, the humidity was much, much thicker. Luckily some rest and lots of water took care of that and I was as good as new the next morning.

Overall I would recommend Juma Lodge to anyone looking to explore the Amazon. You will not see much wildlife except at the lodge; go to the Pantanal for that. The Amazon is more for a jungle/nature experience. But what I loved most about it was how relaxing it was to be there, taking siesta, lounging in the hammocks, enjoying a leisurely pace in life. If you really want to get away, this is the place to do it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank she-muff
Reviewed July 18, 2008

We spent 4 days in this wonderful wonderful lodge. It lies in a perfect location with a river on one side and a lake on the other (all privately owned by the lodge).

The crew at Juma lodge is excellent and go out of their way to accommodate all requests. Food is beyond description, fresh fish everyday with other assorted meats and veggies. Fresh fruit is also a staple here.

There is not too much wildlife here (We did see caimans, piranhas etc) They also took us to a native village where we could see lot of local animals up close (thery were pets). These include a sloth, lots of local tiny monkeys, a boa constrictor.

They also tend to some orphaned monkeys at the lodge and its a lot of fun playing with them. A tapir also sometimes makes its way to the lodge to hunt for food in the trash can.

We went out on the lake several times in a canoe, you always get a couple of hours every day for such leisure activities.

All in all a very nice experience, we definitely learnt a lot and enjoyed our stay in the amazon.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank CaliHopper
Reviewed May 2, 2008

The Juma Lodge was excellent, we had the most amazing 3 day 2 night adventure of our lives. I think if you are looking for the TRUE Amazon experience....the Juma Lodge has it!

The accomodation was excellent, the food was outstanding, our guide and the boat guide were fantastic and so knowledgable. Our transfers from Manaus to Juma Lodge and back were excellent and well organised, and that speed boat ride was so much fun!

They gave you time for yourselves, and showed you all the Amazon could offer. Hands down the best experience I have EVER had, and I thank Juma Lodge for that!

We booked thru www.viverde.com.br They got us a cheaper price than anywhere else on the web, and it was money well spent!

Stayed: April 2008
4  Thank globetrotting2003
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Getting here is an adventure itself. Van, boat, van, boat with beautiful scenery on the way! Lovely place on stilts and you each get a beautiful lodge to yourself. A bit basic but you need that for a more authentic jungle experience. the trips from there were amazing and our guide was amazing and so knowledgeable. It is truly breathtaking there. The local wildlife entertains you for hours and its so much fun to feed the parrots and monkeys! The viem from your room and your comfy hammock is breathtaking. Swimming in the river with the caymens and dolphin was exhilirating!! Lovely staff too!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank CapeTown78
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I booked Juma Lodge through Luciana at Viverde Travels. We were extremely pleased with our choice. The lodge was located on Juma river. We took a boat from Manaus, then a van drove us to the river, and we took another boat to the lodge. It took us 3-4 hours to get there.

Each couple/person had one "cottage" or bungalow. The bungalows were rooms built on stilts on a riverbank. The bungalows were very clean and pretty. Each one had a hammock which was very comfortable.

BTW, if you expect luxury you will be disappointed. Amazon then is not the place for you. Juma is in the jungle, and provisions are obtained by boat. There is no luxury here.

The bathrooms have just cold water - no hot water. It is in the jungle after all. Electricity was provided by a generator, so lights were on from 6pm to 8am. But you really don't need it during the day because of being out all the time. There was no TV or refrigerator because of this. But it was all worth it. I was very impressed with the lodge because for each meal they managed to serve a good assortment of salads despite being in the jungle. The food and lodging was much better than our hotel in Manaus.

We were there for two nights. The first day we reached in the afternoon, had lunch and a nap, and then were taken around by boat to see birds. We did not see as many as we would have liked, but this is the Amazon, not Pantanal. After dinner, the guide (Moe), who spoke excellent English and grew up in the jungle himself, showed us pictures of the birds that we saw and told us a bit about wildlife in Amazon. It was very interesting.

The next morning, we left for a jungle trek. It took us about 2.5 hours in the jungle. We saw a big spider, and learned a lot about trees and how the people there build their houses. Another group saw a harmless little boa constrictor. In the evening we went to the house of a person living there and for two hours the guide showed us around and explained to us how the people earned their livelihood. On our way back we fished for a couple of hours. At night after dinner, he took us caimen spotting. I must say a day well spent and complete value for money.

Meals consisted of salads, rice, fish and/or beef, pasta, and a sweet dish. The lime pudding was extremely delicious! For a place that is so isolated, I was impressed with the food. The breakfast was just okay, but again to be fair, what would one expect in the jungle.

Of all the places that we stayed at in Brazil, this was one well worth the money.

One last thing. I fell ill because of bathing in the cold water because I am very susceptible to cold. I am not really a jungle person so two days was enough for me. One family stayed for 5 days because their travel agent recommended it, and regretted it. 2-3 days is more than enough, because other than the activities stated above, there really is not much to do there. One package takes you to the jungle to sleep in a hammock. I would advise against that one because of the mosquitos. One tip for mosquito repellent is to bring a spray because it is easier to use outside the lodge than a paste. And you do need lots of repellent for the Amazon.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple