“Relaxing Stay in the Black Isle”
Review of The Anderson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fortrose
The Anderson
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fortrose
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife & I decided to have a stay in the Black Isle during some of the best weather to grace Scotland since 2009. Friends were recommended the Anderson Hotel in Fortrose for best food and drink in the area. So I booked for 3 nights and we set off for a relaxing weekend.

We were not disappointed in the choice of accommodation. The hotel is one of the most welcoming we have ever stayed in, there is nothing spectacular about the rooms just to say that they are a good size, comfortable with a good sized bathroom and very clean.

The staff are top notch they are chatty, smiling and know their job well. The owners are very good at making you feel at home.

The menu is seasonal with dishes that are well proportioned and of superb quality matched by a wine list that goes well with the meal, again the staff are very knowledgeable about the best wines to suit your meal. The bar is one of the most extensively stocked for Belgian beers I have come across outside Belgium and is matched by the list of whiskeys you can sample anywhere.

All evening meals are prepared by Jim's wife who should be praised for her imaginative menu and preparation. The breakfast are a treat and will set you up for the rest of the day if your out and about.

Jim, the owner is a brilliant host and very engaging in his attitude, making the stay in the hotel a pleasure, some other hotels would do well to emulate this.

This is a good base to stay if your in the Black Isle and I couldn't recommend it more, no pretensions just brilliant service with good food and drink at reasonable prices.

Would we stay there again..........in a heart beat. Well done The Anderson.

1  Thank wyatt2801

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I unfortunately spend too much of my working life in banal chain hotels. What a pleasure it was to stay at the Anderson. All my favourite things are here; splendid real ale, an excellent selection of whisky and great food. The rooms were a little tired but quirky and reasonably priced. All the staff were friendly and attentive at all times. The menu is very unusual with some innovative combinations that work really well. The venison was the best I've had (and I've had a lot!). I will return.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Yet another great weekend with good food and as per usual good wine and beer. The guinea fowl was superb as was the trout and the sea food tempura would have kept you going for a week. The staff as usual were great, the atmosphere was relaxing and the weather was fantastic. We have been visiting now for several years and have never been disappointed, long may it continue.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This food and grog gem was such a fortuitous finding that we stayed an extra night. The Anderson's cuisine is inspired by just a little touch of quirkiness that makes the food all the better. Whether that is due to the chef owner being American is hard to say, but everything was delicious. The guinea fowl, cooked two ways (sous vide and roasted) was all the bird should be, while the venison filet was moist, appropriately gamy, and quite tender. Side dishes include fresh vegetables that go beyond the usual Scottish sides. And how about that bar?! A number of very decent real ales, distributed through obviously well-cleaned pipes, hundreds of malt whiskeys, the best Belgian collection in one place I've ever seen, and a fabulous wine list. All in all, a place worth the detour and visit. The room itself was a suitable inn bedroom, with a very nice bathroom, good bathroom supplies, comfortable bed, and easy to reach after an evening of food and drink. The owners reach out to make your experience at their establishment special, and it was difficult to leave.

1  Thank Shelly D
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank for the kind words. Re: Anne's quirky kitchen touches being due to our being American, all I can say is that 1) we were quirky even when we were in America and 2) with ingredients like we get up here, it's hard not to let ones' imagination run wild! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed last week and found this a unusual and pretentious place with a wine list that topped the prices at 160'00 and the list for "by the glass" had no prices .Was served a bowl of mussels that were so off that they should never have left the kitchen.There after the rest of the meal was all right if you excuse the split sauce served with a steak.Also find that restaurants that charge extra for vegetables are a rip-off. A pleasant if Basil Faultyesque host who was most excited about the live music which was more suited to a wake thereafter a pleasant nights sleep and reasonable breakfast. Shan't rush back!

1  Thank SkelmorlieBruce

Thank you for choosing The Anderson to be your inaugural TripAdvisor review! Your visit was during the final week of the season for mussels at The Anderson, and I apologize for your first bowl not being up to snuff (sniff…?). I trust the replacement bowl – which was both from a different batch and source – were to your liking. In fact, I know they were, because my manager reported that you and he had a conversation so amicable that he was astounded at the negativity of your review. A word to TA readers about Smiling Assassins: In the Old Days, customer complaints were taken up with Management at the time of the problem, and a mutually-satisfying resolution would be sought. Guests who are given the opportunity to resolve complaints yet do not do so in favour of writing negative commentary anonymously on Internet review sites are effectively lying to the establishment. This behaviour is a serious step backward for human relations and should be carefully considered before leaving the establishment or clicking the Send button. Alas, the broken béarnaise sauce with your rib eye steak was the unfortunate meeting of conflicting needs here in the Highlands: sauce with steak and a piping-hot plate. At times, our not-from-a-jar béarnaise does break on the hot plate. As a result, we have begun to use a ramekin on the side, demoting the mighty béarnaise to the realm of lowly dipping sauce. Another word to TA readers about the wine list at The Anderson: Our wines do not top out at £160, they currently top out at £365 for a 1985 Château Margaux. The implication that our wines are expensive is borne out neither by our selection of 29 wines under £30 nor the description of our wine prices as “charitable” by a Professional Reviewer for the Sunday Herald. The same Professional Reviewer, by the way, who described us not as “pretentious” but as “modest.” A last word to TA readers about our Traditional Music Sessions: the majority of the tunes in these sessions are seminal to the Highland way of life. Anyone who wishes to inject additional musical ideas into the sessions is welcome to join in!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Warm welcomes. The most refined selection of drinks I have had the pleasure of enjoying. Food is fantastic. Everything about it makes you feel you are experiencing something special. The dining room has a quirky 1930's opulence about it, felt I should have been dining with Clark gable and will rogers. The price is very reasonable as long as you realise the quality of the purchase is of the highest order. If you bought that quality of beer and food in London it would be twice as much. Artisan beer, fine wine and fantastic food and a clean and fresh bedroom to go up to. Thoroughly spoilt every time. The owner, Mr Anderson himself, happens to be hilarious also. Five stars.

Room Tip: You won't care where you sleep after enjoying a wonderful meal and a few artisan Belgian beers.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DreadX

Thanks for the kind words, and for noticing that we tend to over-spend on quality food ingredients and that I am truly one of the planet's mot entertaining people. Alas, those points are lost on many of our amateur reviewers in search of their 15 minutes of [anonymous] fame. See you again soon, I hope!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I didn't know what to expect when I drew up in my car on a rainy afternoon in Fortrose. I suppose I just expected another generic country hotel selling bog standard cooking lager and mediocre unimaginative food. Instead I found somewhere with the most incredible beer menu I have ever seen with hundreds of beers from around the world and fabulous imaginative food for a really good price. A really forward thinking attitude all round, a great atmosphere and a lovely quaint look to the place. I just wished I could have stayed there longer. SUPERB!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fortrose
Culloden House
Water's Edge
#1 of 6 in Fortrose
0 mi away
Hillhaven Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Anderson? Share your experiences!