“A Great Menu for the Adventurous!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Anderson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fortrose
The Anderson
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fortrose
“A Great Menu for the Adventurous!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Having lived near The Anderson, I thought it about time to try out the restaurant. They have just reopened after some sort of refurbishment, although I am unsure to which part of the premises (bar, restaurant, hotel rooms).
We had a choice when reserving a table to sit in the Whisky Bar or the dining room. We went for the dining room (it's not massive, so I recommend phoning in advance).
There was a large party that ordered just before us, so we had to wait a bit longer for the food. No worries.
The menu is amazing and extremely creative! Plenty of choice to serve even the fussiest of eaters (decent burger menu...complete with a £25 competition burger...you know, eat the whole meal in under 20 mins and get it free, t shirt, name on wall of shame...).
We are on a post holiday, skint until payday budget, so skipped starters (good choices £6-7 each).
Main meals come with potatoes (sautéed veg £2 extra).
My boyfriend opted for the beef fillet tips with cacharel blue cheese sauce and mushrooms.(£14) He loved the it!
I went for the pheasant pie (also had black pudding and a few mushrooms in it) (£12) Came with chips. Rich taste to the runny gravy inside. Pheasant is new to me, so was well impressed.
I was stuffed. We opted to skip the desserts this time (a rarity!). There was a really good dessert menu with a fairly large selection from simple ice cream (£1.50 a scoop) to Anne's American Crack Pie with ice cream. Rice pudding, sticky toffee pudding, apple cake and the obligatory cheese board were also on the menu (along with a couple other choices). But they were a bit steep at £6 each.
The main meals ranged from £12-27 with most around £17-20 ish.

I definitely recommend tryin this place if you are in the area. They use fresh, local produce and the menu varies frequently to accommodate what food they can get in. This was our one last treat before heading back to work and it was worth it!!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Anderson offered me refuge and a delicious meal at the end of an epic trip down the Caledonian canals by canoe a couple of years ago and so I was keen when returning to the area to share the culinary delights with my boyfriend. After driving up all the way from Edinburgh via the Cairngorms I was a little nervous that my slightly starving water weakened self might have over egged the delicious feast. However my memory had served me right and we enjoyed delicious grub, good wine and a host with a easy honest manor and a vast knowledge with all the fine products under his roof, including a whiskey collection to die for. Thank you once again for looking after us so well !

• Stayed December 2012
munlochy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

The pub part of the Anderson is grim and my husband and I were disappointed to say the least - old tatty furniture which you wouldn't give to a charity the main part of the pub is ok but if you just want a drink and a relaxing evening without having to dine in then this is not the place to stay. We did have evening meal in the restaurant one evening and were disappointed to say the least - still each to their own - far better places not too far away!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank phand
Tain, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

one of the best meals i have had in years great food did not have any complaints about it. brilliant little pub excellent choice of whiskeys and beer staff are so welcoming friendly and make you feel so relaxed and comfortable. will definitely be going again. was not disappointed once

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed for one night as a stop-off between Aberdeenshire and Skye, and it was a great location and an area we probably wouldn't have seen if not for the great reviews we saw of The Anderson beforehand! The restaurant and pub, as stated by others, was just wonderful - easily the best meal of our ten-night trip. They had a great real ale and cider selection in addition to what seemed like every whiskey ever. The staff were young, sweet and friendly, really just delightful! Our room was nice and clean, and it was wonderful to just toddle upstairs after a delicious meal and cosy evening in the pub. The owner was away while we were there, but his little touches of Americana and FAQ sheet were very cute (his take on haggis was just right: every place has their own version, and he grew up with scrapple, as did I). Delightful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Stillwater, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

A very old property which the owners are working to improve. They've done a great job with what they have. The restaurant is top class, which is great as there aren't many choices in the area. Our room needed lots of work. I was happy that we were able to check out before the lock mechanism fell out of the door! The room was tired and tight, but clean. Although we were overlooking the main road, this was not a problem as there's not much traffic through here.
Jim, the owner/manager, was everything from the chief greeter to the main cook/bottle-washer, and was always interacting with his guests. He (and his pub) made an otherwise average stay more pleasant.

Room Tip: Go for rooms above the main lobby. They seem to be bigger and nicer than the room we had (#7)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We (husband and I) spent two nights here. We have been coming with our family for ten years and staying in the Munlochy Bay area in a cottage. This was our first time without the 'family' and we decided to stay at The Anderson instead of just having a meal there. I was really enchanted with the room we stayed in - quirky and charming. The food was delicious in the restaurant, I had possibly the best scallops I have ever tasted in a Scottish restaurant.
The bar has a vast array of beers and whiskies to try. My husband loved this.
The staff were all lovely and helpful. I would highly recommend every aspect of this lovely hotel.
However do not expect the facilities of some of the larger chains - no internet and very patchy mobile reception - but personally I welcomed this.

Room Tip: We were in Room 1, above the bar, but hardly an issue as we heard little noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fortrose
Culloden House
Bunchrew House Hotel
Bunchrew House Hotel
#6 of 34 in Inverness
Premier Inn Inverness Centre (River Ness) Hotel

Been to The Anderson? Share your experiences!