“Impressive selection”

Cuisines: International, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Love this place just wish it was nearer!. Food is lovely, and there is a good selection of unusual things, can recommend the crack pie if you have a sweet tooth!. It's not just the food, the staff are friendly and the selection of beer and whiskey is outstanding. Exactly what a pub / restaurant should be, make sure you visit the other bar rather than just stay in the room where food is served.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Anderson is probably once of the best restaurants in Scotland!! The menu is imaginative and creative and delicious. The service is top-notch, bar is stocked beyond anyone's comprehension, atmosphere is sophisticated buy comfortable, and it's clean and attractive. Everyone in the restaurant seems to enjoy being there. Do NOT miss this place!!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Have been to this wonderful place on several occasions. It has never disappointed. The food is great but what is infinitely more impressive is the mammoth selection of Whisky and Belgian beer and the quality of the service. I have never met a friendlier and more impassioned host in any restaurant I have been to, and I have been to many. Love this place!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

If I could give The Anderson 6 stars I would. This has been a firm favourite of the family since I discovered it some years ago online. Jim and his family and team run a beautiful place: they've preserved this premises in Fortrose with great integrity to the fact that it is a local pub as well as a restaurant (this is a lesson plenty of identikit gastro-pubs in London and beyond could do with learning).

The food is terrific, the service is polite and warm without being over-the-top and the drinks selection is definitive. Whiskies run into three figures, and over the course of several visits to the Black Isle in the past decade I've also drunk a number of interesting wines and dropped in for the occasional pint.

It's well worth a visit no matter what reason. If every pub-restaurant were this good I'd be a bankrupt.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Recently enjoyed a three night stay at the Anderson. My first contact was with Jim when I rang to book a room. As I have mobility problems I explained my particular needs and he was very helpful (and unlike many such bookings that I have made elsewhere, the room and the walk-in shower were exactly as described).
The bedroom was rather quaint but we enjoyed three good nights' sleep followed by delicious breakfasts, I stayed traditional with a Scottish breakfast each day but my boyfriend decided to "eat American" in honour of our hosts and managed a Breakfast Burrito each day!
While b/f went cycling each morning Jim allowed my to set up my laptop in the Whisky room, and I was even brought a cuppa when the kettle went on each day.

In the afternoon we took trips out round the Black Isle and watched the dolphins.

The very best part of our holiday was evenings in the Whisky Bar. B/f enjoyed the large selection of real ales and I stuck to drinking Scottish Gin. The bar manager and his staff are all very knowledgeable about their drinks.

And then there is the food. Oh, the food! Fried chicken and sweet potato waffles, BBQ, steaks, the savoury bread pudding, home made tiramisu, local ice cream ... the list goes on. And it was all wonderful. I would say the food at The Anderson is the best that I have ever had in a pub or hotel.
Watching over everything is the tremendous character that is Jim Anderson - but Jim would be a whole review on his own.

Like I said - we'll be back.