“OK but nothing outstanding”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Anderson

The Anderson
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Fortrose
Cuisines: British, Pub, Scottish, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Moffat, United Kingdom
“OK but nothing outstanding”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We visited The Anderson whilst holidaying in the area. We found the food a little tough (mussels ultra slimey chewy and the lamb not really falling of the bone as you would expect from a lamb shank recipe, it seemed almost slimey as well. Maybe I chose the wrong courses but it just did not meet my expectations which are really not that high. I was also somewhat upset to be charged for vegetables because I asked for some, otherwise my meal would of amounted to a lump of garlic mashed potato with a lamb shank sat on top and a little red wine sauce poured over it. Not what I would call a balanced meal at all. The owner was very friendly and came to chat and the staff falling over themselves to be super helpful but it does not make up for the lack of a complete, well cooked meal really. We did not bother with deserts. This was also quite expensive compared to others locally and the food they will supply you for less. Maybe they should visit some other restaurants in the area as this may help them to see what is missing. It is also just a little too dark in there.

3 Thank ruthohare
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Anderson. It is always a joy to have an informed assessment of our restaurant from someone so connected with food quality and a gift for putting this knowledge into words. I do appreciate the advice, too, that I should visit some of the other restaurants in the area -- I never thought of that! A note to TA readers: I understand that poor oral hygiene can lead to a slimy sensation in the mouth, and The Anderson cannot be responsible for any pre-existing conditions our customers bring with them. A word to TA readers on vegetables at The Anderson: we love food, and consequently we hate to throw perfectly good food in the bin. When we used to include vegetables with every meal, we binned more than half of them. We then decided to lower our prices and state clearly on the menu that vegetables could be ordered as a supplement, which has reduced our vegetable waste by more than 70%. I am happy that you were pleased that both my staff and I were appreciated for the time we spent with your party, but I'm also vexed that you did not raise your concerns at the time. A word to TA readers about Smiling Assassins: In the Old Days, customer complaints were taken up with Management at the time of the problem, and a mutually-satisfying resolution would be sought. Guests who are given the opportunity to resolve complaints yet do not do so in favour of writing negative commentary anonymously on Internet review sites are effectively lying to the establishment. This behaviour is a serious step backward for human relations and should be carefully considered before leaving the establishment or clicking the Send button.

“Like nowhere else!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have been so many times and keep going back as it is so friendly and like how the food is not typical pub grub.we always feel so welcome and appreciated and food is outstanding never had a disapointing meal there.service is quick and we never have to wait long for our next course.the range of drinks is fantastic and theres always something new to try also a very good and wide collection of whiskies.

• Visited June 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A drinker's gem and pretty good tuck too.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Anderson was one of the most surprising of places. From the outside, and also a quick scan of the main dining room, you could sense the fading seaside Victorian hotel that it must once have been and expect Basil Fawlty to appear from behind reception.

On proceeding through to the whisky bar a sense of a more amenable establishment comes across, a nicely appointed bistro kind of feel. Then you turn to the bar and survey the outstanding blackboard of whiskys available, literally hundreds; the beers on tap - good ales foreign and domestic as well as some German and Belgian wheats and fruits and you start to get the idea that this is not a Tennants and Stella kind of a place.

Basil turns out to be American "Well you look confused" he drawls, a swift confession that this isn't, indeed, what I expected seemed, for now, to get me off the hook. A pint of Veddet hits the spot and feeling a bit peckish we order burgers - cooked to your liking (rare thanks), and simply handmade they were too, the meat nice and loose and squishy, a Weinstephan wasn't really needed to wash it down but why the hell not. Bloody lovely.

Cromarty, United Kingdom
“Gets It Right Time After Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I don't know why locals tend not to review their local places, maybe we take them for granted. But I feel I need to speak up to defend The Anderson from some of their recent reviews. Two stars? One star? Come on! I go here quite often, some say too often ;), because Jim and Anne (who I have yet to meet) bring in innovitave ideas to the Black Isle, both with their food and amazing drink selection. The environment is like being in someone's home, which I find comforting, especilly when the fires are going in the winter. it's true, when the very short busy season comes in the summer, they stock up on friendly local youngsters to help out. How else are they supposed to cope? Believe me, restaurant professionals aren't queueing up to work two months in the Highlands! I've seen the Andersons weather many storms in the 5 years I've lived here, but it's really irritating when people go home and type out hurtful things from the safety of their computer when there are many of us out there (and I will be rallying the local troops) who depend upon The Anderson on a regular basis for imaginative cuisine, exotic beer and friendly craic. I can't imagine what life here would be like without my Buffalo Wings and Strawberry beer! Please, readers, take the word of someone who could be a regular at any number of places but chooses The Anderson withou hesitation!

1 Thank goetta
Broadford, null, United Kingdom
“Vegetarians be aware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I don't usually bother reviewing hotels we stay in but I was moved to do so by the unpleasant experience we recently had. We booked over the phone as they don't take internet bookings, no problem there. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful and when I said I am vegetarian she informed me that they do loads of veggie food. Wonderful, I thought. I managed to download an old menu from the internet and it did look fine with a choice of a couple of dishes. We duly arrived and a very nice young man took us to our room. The room (4) was pleasantly decorated with a mix of old and new furniture. All very nice. The en suite had access by a sliding door which, unfortunately, screeched every time it was opened or closed. It was also without the benefit of a lock.
On to our dinner. My husband ordered Steak & Ale pie which, he tells me, was fine but not fabulous. I ordered the Baked Aubergine which came to the table dressed with parmesan cheese which is not suitable for vegetarians. I thought I'd just try to eat the inside and leave the outside but found it was also sprinkled over the tomato sauce. I tried to ignore the parmesan but found that the inside of the baked aubergine was, at best, lukewarm. That was as much as I could take and decided I'd just eat the roast potatoes which came with the meal. Unfortunately, I think they'd seen the oven much more than the aubergine and had an unpleasant taste.
The waiter noticed that I'd not finished my meal and when I tried to explain that parmesan is not suitable for vegetarians he argued that that would make me a vegan. This does not make sense. I didn't even try to explain that it was not hot enough. I was not offered an alternative nor an apology. We asked for the bill and a young girl brought it to the table and plonked it down without a word, not even a smile, just a scowl. We were served by three different people, one took our order and brought some of it, another removed our plates and a third brought the bill. No continuity, we felt as though no one wanted to come to our table.
The same young man who was waiter and barman that night was also serving us breakfast the following morning. My husband had ordered a full Scottish breakfast and I had ordered porridge and scrambled eggs. Not much choice of a cooked breakfast for vegetarians. We also had to order breakfast the previous evening which we thought was odd. Toast was brought to the table which had only been toasted on one side, my porridge then arrived with milk in it. I apologised and said that I don't take milk in my porridge and could I have it without. With an audible sigh he left to make more. He was gone less than five minutes and returned with a bowl of porridge which had not been cooked for any longer than it took it to get to a boil (if that). It was inedible and again I apologised, said it was no good and asked for my eggs. They duly arrived. I'm not sure what was done to them but managed to eat about half of them, having to crunch through salt crystals and I gave up. Again, my husband's was OK but swimming in oil and by this time he was not feeling like eating with the nonsense unfolding before him.
We were not offered an alternative which I would have refused as I think the young man was doing the breakfasts himself and didn't have much of a clue, neither was there an apology.
We decided not to eat in the hotel that night but ordered boiled eggs for breakfast the next day.
We came down for breakfast to be met my a nice woman who, I think, took our booking over the phone. She showed us where the juice and cereals were and brought us coffee and toast (toasted on both sides) and we thought that we'd have a good breakfast. Our eggs arrived but not in egg cups but in little butter dishes in which the eggs wobbled and rolled around on their sides. My husband asked for egg cups and she said she'd have a look. She came back with cappuccino cups which were too big (no, really?) and we said we'd just do our best. My husband then hit on putting the corner of his napkin under the egg to keep it upright and in place and so we had our breakfast.
Checking out was quick and efficient and relieved us of £190.00 (this not including the price of an inedible dinner and some rather enjoyable house wine).
The only time we were aware of the owner/manager was when he was giving the benefit of his great wisdom to some poor long suffering member of staff. He was nowhere to be found when we or his staff were having problems. Only one person in the hotel appeared to have had any training in hospitality and/or customer service.
We enjoyed Fortrose and surrounding area very much and will visit it again. We will not be staying at The Anderson Hotel.

3 Thank Dee M
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for the effort and passion you clearly put into your review of The Anderson, and for giving us credit where credit was due. In the same spirit, you are indeed correct: most Parmesan cheese is made with animal rennet, thereby making it non-vegetarian. The kitchen has been instructed to cease the practice immediately. Reading through the rest of the review, though, I started to get an uneasy sense of a dysfunctional operation within my four walls. And then I thought, where is the dysfunction, really? The need to lock out one’s husband from the bathroom? The utter ignorning of the owner/manager both times he offered a greeting in Reception? Ordering a dish that was not on the menu and subsequently complaining that it was not served in vessels unique to that dish? Hang on, who deserves the 2-star rating here? Perhaps the answer lies in the £2 tip secreted under the husband’s saucer at the last breakfast…