“Excellent Food, Excellent service”

Silver Orange Bistro
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had seared tuna steak with basil pesto as a main - and it was most certainly one of the best dishes I've had - ever.

Great starters, great wine, and the service was really good as well.

Certainly worth the visit.

1  Thank Francois J

Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked at the silver orange bistro for a sunday lunch for our anniversary. We were 30minutes early and even though only 1 table was occupied we were kindly asked to wait outside with a cup of coffee.. We waited and waited.. Saw guests being turned away because they had no bookings, also saw guests being taken to their seats (those that had booked) 45minutes later a waiter unapologetically said they "forgot" about us and lead us in. Receiving drinks and a menu took another 20minutes after people who arrived after us already received their starters!!! We felt very unwelcome however we loved the food!! Will definitely be returning but not expecting much hospitality wise. I hope at our next visit they prove us wrong! Food 5stars, Hospitality 1star = Total 3 stars

4  Thank Debrouwers
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Although we had a reservation, on arrival we were totally ignored by both the waitress and the hostess, who both preferred answering numerous telephone calls in the latter case and the other occupying herself with inscriptions in her order book, cleaning the top of the bar counter and idling around the bar. Eventually both simultaneously acknowledged our presence. On announcing our dismay, we were thereafter treated as a 'necessary nuisance' and as unwanted guests. They yet have to be introduced to the very first lessons in hospitality.

3  Thank Wynand S
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I made a telephonic reservation on Nov 16 for lunch on Nov 24. I was informed that there was a wine tasting event on that date and was quoted a price. I replied that I was not interested in the wine tasting and that just wanted to book for lunch. The appointment was taken. On arrival on the 24th I was told (in an unfriendly and arrogant manner!) that the restaurant would only cater for wine tasting on the day, so I had no option but to leave. Shocking handling of the booking and subsequent situation!

3  Thank Abel A
Reviewed November 22, 2013

You cannot hide weak cooking with a crispy fan conconction served on top of every steak dish, but I say this as someone who prefers great food when I am spending money to go out to eat. There seems to be a general focus on atmosphere and service in many of the reviews for restaurants in Gauteng, I've noticed. I say that to frame this review for interested patrons of Silver Orange Bistro since I appreciate the fact that different people look for different things when they go out to eat. The service was very good - the waiter knew the menu, was very attentive, and very nice. Hats off to him. The atmosphere is nice as well. The food, on the other hand, is subpar. It was not unappetizing, but it had little flavor, was over-presented, and by no means deserves any of the attention this restaurant gets. It seems that they try and convince you that they are serving haute cuisine with silly presentation gimmicks rather than refined cooking. This place was recommended to us by many people in the Joburg/Pretoria area, so we were surprised to get unseasoned meat plopped on top of mashed potatoes and mashed butternut with a few "seasonal vegetables" that were definitely boiled, unseasoned and certainly not "seasonal." My wife and I often pick regions of the country to visit for short weekend getaways based on the quality of at least a couple of restaurants in the area since when we are on vacation we'd like to get what we pay for when we go out to eat. The bottom line is that the food at Silver Orange Bistro is mediocre at best.

4  Thank Alex N