“Special moment wasted”

Silver Orange Bistro
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pretoria
“Special moment wasted”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Visited SOB from Pta to celebrate my engagement and new fiance's birthday. I communicated this when i made the booking. Promises where made that they would this a special night. With our arrival they did not know of anything. After a while the waiter asked if it was our anniversary. He tried his best but was properly trained. No atmospere to talk of with terrible elevator music playing in the background. The lights dimmed and brightened all night long. The food was nothing special, could do much better in Pta. Had to leave at 21:20 because the waiters started to set the tables for the next day. We wanted to leave much earlier. I have nothing good to say about this experience.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank DeBruynJoubert

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

brilliant ...food, service and wine ... cosy place with a five star feel and personal service................................................................................

Visited August 2013
Johannesburg
“Worth the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Made a night of it with dinner at Silver Orange and a B and B stop over to save the drive back to Jo'burg. It was fully booked but even though placed in a small private room with only two other tables, it did not lack atmosphere. Phenomenal wine list and a very attentive waiter with a good sense of humour. I see some reviews reference slow service. We had specifically asked for a breathing space between courses and they obliged willingly. Their sushi starter would never lose it's appeal and the scallops were darned good too. Starters and desserts there are creative, taste delicious and we will certainly go back.

• Visited August 2013
Johannesburg
“Bit pretentious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited Silver Orange Bistro on a Sunday and had a garden table. The setting was relaxing but despite this we still felt slightly frustrated with the slow service. When someone in our party asked for a change to the vegetables served with the dish of their choice the waiter was very reluctant to allow this. I would have preferred a salad instead of mash potatoes with my Scottish Salmon but did not want to 'inconvenience' the Silver Orange Bistro chef. The Scottish Salmon can not compare with the salmon I had at Pigalle two weeks ago. For approximately the same price the portion was bigger and the quality was better at Pigalle. I was also allowed to order a salad with my fish which left me very happy. The vegetable stir fry served with the salmon was overcooked, oily and too sweet. I could not taste the wasabi in the mash. The blue curacao sauce served with the salmon and the fan wafer was pretentios. If you want to enjoy your meal I would suggest that you do not mix the sauce with any of the food on your plate. The beef seems like the best option on the menu.

• Visited June 2013
Randburg, South Africa
“Service slow but loads of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I treated my wife to Sunday lunch this last weekend. There is nothing quite like this anywhere in Hartebeespoort do I was very impressed. Lovely setting, beautiful gardens, gorgeous food and relaxes atmosphere.

The only small let down was they lost my booking and I was made to feel like a beggar on the porch whilst they made up a table. No apologies but I have forgiven them as the food is 5 star.

Service was adequate but impersonal. No manager asked us how our food which would have made me give this place a full 5/5

• Visited June 2013