“Worth the drive”

Silver Orange Bistro
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Johannesburg
“Worth the drive”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Made a night of it with dinner at Silver Orange and a B and B stop over to save the drive back to Jo'burg. It was fully booked but even though placed in a small private room with only two other tables, it did not lack atmosphere. Phenomenal wine list and a very attentive waiter with a good sense of humour. I see some reviews reference slow service. We had specifically asked for a breathing space between courses and they obliged willingly. Their sushi starter would never lose it's appeal and the scallops were darned good too. Starters and desserts there are creative, taste delicious and we will certainly go back.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg
“Bit pretentious”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited Silver Orange Bistro on a Sunday and had a garden table. The setting was relaxing but despite this we still felt slightly frustrated with the slow service. When someone in our party asked for a change to the vegetables served with the dish of their choice the waiter was very reluctant to allow this. I would have preferred a salad instead of mash potatoes with my Scottish Salmon but did not want to 'inconvenience' the Silver Orange Bistro chef. The Scottish Salmon can not compare with the salmon I had at Pigalle two weeks ago. For approximately the same price the portion was bigger and the quality was better at Pigalle. I was also allowed to order a salad with my fish which left me very happy. The vegetable stir fry served with the salmon was overcooked, oily and too sweet. I could not taste the wasabi in the mash. The blue curacao sauce served with the salmon and the fan wafer was pretentios. If you want to enjoy your meal I would suggest that you do not mix the sauce with any of the food on your plate. The beef seems like the best option on the menu.

Randburg, South Africa
“Service slow but loads of character”
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I treated my wife to Sunday lunch this last weekend. There is nothing quite like this anywhere in Hartebeespoort do I was very impressed. Lovely setting, beautiful gardens, gorgeous food and relaxes atmosphere.

The only small let down was they lost my booking and I was made to feel like a beggar on the porch whilst they made up a table. No apologies but I have forgiven them as the food is 5 star.

Service was adequate but impersonal. No manager asked us how our food which would have made me give this place a full 5/5

Johannesburg, South Africa
“great food”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Silver Orange offers good food, good service, and a romantic ambience for an evening meal. the staff are attentive, the food shows attention to detail, and everything on the menu has been well thought out. The wine list is substantial.

• Visited March 2013
Somerset West
“The Silver Orange Bistro has a kitchen of gold”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

While staying over in Die Ou Pastorie guesthouse, they recommended us to have dinner one night in the Silver Orange Bistro, and what a great advice this was.

We were welcomed by a hostess and escorted to our table. The place is cosy and gas fires were all around to keep the guests warm throughout the evening.

Two extremely friendly and knowledgeable waiters looked after us the evening, adding even more pleasure to a delightful experience.

We started to pick our wine from an impressive wine list, with excellent choices for everyone’s palate and budget. We chose the Newton Johnson Chardonnay, which is fantastic and with R 195,00 decently priced.

For starters my wife chose the scallops and while the dish tasted good, the scallops were so small you could hardly find them. A bit of a disappointment. I was more enthusiastic with my deep fried salmon and tuna sushi starter, which was delicious. For mains we both opted for a beef fillet, one with gorgonzola and one with mussels. Both pieces of meat were superb: both cooked to perfection (one medium and one medium rare) which melted on your tong. My pea mash was superb too and the wedges we asked for were crispy and great, as they should be. For dessert I had a flourless cake which was very nice too.

All in all a great evening in a restaurant we would gladly return to.

2 Thank LaurentPerrier